PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

How the heck does Anaheim do it? They trade away guys like Kunitz and Pahlsson, bench Giguere and then knock the #1 seeded Sharks out in 6.

In the meantime, the Sabres go the "status quo" route and miss the playoffs for two years in a row.

So, let's see, guys who (right or wrong) had their reputations for not performing during the playoffs reinforced:

Joe Thornton (6 GP, 1G, 4A, -3)

Keith Tkachuk (4GP, 0G, 0A, -1)

Olli Jokinen (6 GP, 2G, 3A, -1)

Now, Joe's and Olli's numbers don't look that bad, but each had one good game (1G, 2A, +1 in Game 5 for Joe and 2G, 1A, +3 in Game 4 for Olli), but were otherwise pretty sad (5GP, 0G, 2A, -4 for both.)

Just for the record Olli hasn't played in the playoffs until this year. It's kind of harsh to give a reputation without a chance!

How the heck does Anaheim do it? They trade away guys like Kunitz and Pahlsson, bench Giguere and then knock the #1 seeded Sharks out in 6.

In the meantime, the Sabres go the "status quo" route and miss the playoffs for two years in a row.

I believe the Ducks aren't cursed with having a "land developer" run their franchise?

I've been to Raliegh twice for games, one in the playoffs, and you must be crazy if you think their fans are better then our fans. One reason why their arena gets so loud is because it's a much smaller building. Their roof is pretty low. HSBC it's like a dome. If you pack Sabres fans into that arena we'd be loudest in the league too.

Same here. RBC was nothing special for the regular season game I saw there. Most of the fans I met were northerners who had adopted the local team.

It was a good crowd in the playoffs, but where isn't it for a conference finals? And more visiting fans than you'd find in most places.

They were smart enough to not finish in 6th or 7th. ;)

Alex, I'll take hockey playoffs for 200.

Answer: Play against Joe Thornton.

What is: How to make it to the next round?

They were smart enough to not finish in 6th or 7th. ;)

Alex, I'll take hockey playoffs for 200.

Answer: Play against Joe Thornton.

What is: How to make it to the next round?

:lol: Blake and Boyle didn't give that team much of a different look than Campbell and Rivet either.

Speaking of Campbell, has it been mentioned yet that Campbell scored a goal for the first time in 50+ games the other night!?

yeah.... Campbell is still Campbell....but really Seabrook, Keith, and Barker have all come of age and play with an edge that Campbell doesn't. That's why they beat Calgary....those boys came to play.

Really? I haven't seen a tremendous amount of Boyle, but from what I have seen I was pretty impressed. Maybe I'm just in love with his skating and don't pay attention to his flaws.

Boyle is good, as advertised, and so Blake...though I think Blake's numbers are a bit inflated by being on that team....more precisely I didn't think the blueline was were they needed a change....

yeah.... Campbell is still Campbell....but really Seabrook, Keith, and Barker have all come of age and play with an edge that Campbell doesn't. That's why they beat Calgary....those boys came to play.

Scary thing is that Brian makes almost as much as the other three combined. That will change, of course, when the other three get off of their current contracts (the oldest is just 24) and they will likely be stuck with Brian's contract. With all of their young forwards, too, some will have to go.

Rangers/Caps' seasons come down to 20 minutes (tied 1-1 after two periods.) Devils/Canes are also tied midway through the second.

Gimme some Seabrook and Ben Eager.

I'm still not sure that Campbell's goal was credited properly, BTW. I AM glad that the Sabres aren't overpaying him, though.

And a shame that the series didn't go 7 games.

Great hockey game. Did anyone see that stat that 72% of the teams that get the 1st goal in a game 7 win? OV and the russian mafia are my sexy pick! the look on Averys face at the end after dogging it back down the ice after the goal was priceless.

Hell of a game. Rangers gave a good fight, but old man Sergei comes up with the huge goal. Fantastic job by the Caps in the last 4 minutes. Rangers never did get Lundqvist out of the net.

And, the old man knocked Avery out of the game. Classy against the opposite of classy. Classy won. Here's hoping that I never hear Avery's name called in an NHL game again--not because of injuries, but because no one wants him. (I know, he'll find a home somewhere in the league.)

Great hockey game. Did anyone see that stat that 72% of the teams that get the 1st goal in a game 7 win? OV and the russian mafia are my sexy pick! the look on Averys face at the end after dogging it back down the ice after the goal was priceless.

There's this stat, too: The Rangers never have lost a series after being up 3-1. Until...now.

Wow...Canes tie it up with 79 seconds to go. Great play....looks like we're headed for Game 7 OT.

Man, I wish the Sabres were in the playoffs. :(

And people scoffed at my Jussi Jokinen thread. He's looking like a pretty good pick up right now (I know, they traded for him, but not until after he cleared waivers) with the game winner the other night with 0.2 seconds left and now the tying goal with just over a minute left.

Archived