PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Federov with the game winner and he seemed to injure Avery. Great game!

My thoughts exactly. It was a great game but I just thought NYR out played Washington in the first, but other then that, they looked very scared and didn't attack much at all. I can't think of too many big saves Simeon Varlamov had to make. I remember a nice save in the 3rd but that might have been it, maybe another one, in the final 40 minutes. Washington turned it on in the 3rd and it just appeared to me that they wanted it more. I was at a sports bar so I could watch both games, and actually a bunch of people were there to watch the games so it was cool and not many thought NYR looked impressive. When Federov scored, NYR had no idea what hit them. And then when Federov nailed Avery, it was like the perfect end. Avery was a POS all game, as usual.

Carolina/NJD was an excellent game too. I hate Carolina with a passion and i'm not a big fan of Eric Staal but that was a awesome celebration. He was so shocked that puck went in. Great come back. Never give up. Carolina played til the final seconds. They deserved the win IMO.

I can not wait for round 2 though. Pitt vs. Wash. Crosby/Malkin rivalry with Ovechkin was hot during the regular season, and now we'll see them in a series. And Ducks/Wings is always great. Boston/Carolina should be good and Hawks/Canucks also. Each series is must-see tv.

YES!! Screw the Rangers!! So glad they blew a 3-1 lead. Nice goal by Feddy.

As much as I hate the 'CANES, it was nice to see New Jersey blow up at the end. Stall's goal was awesome.

So on the parlay betting front, I went 6 for 8. The Sharks and Flames cost me $1,040.00 payout for a $30 bet on a 8 playoff series. Imagine the payout if I took the Ducks (and Chi Hawks)??? Damn!

Who see's Anaheim upsetting Detroit? I might have to lay some more $$$ on that series.

I think I heard from the announcer last night that the goal by Brian Campbell was his first in 50 games?!?!?!?! Is that correct? Wow, times sure change. He sucks as a defenseman anyway because he doesn't prevent anyone from scoring against.

#1 Boston Bruins vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

#2 Washington Capitals vs. #7 New York Rangers yes

#3 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes yes

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers

WEST

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Anaheim Ducks

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Columbus Blue Jackets yes

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 St. Louis Blues

#4 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #5 Calgary Flames yes

Without too much invested and being Monday, there it is folks. You saw it here first. I like upsets in the East and gonna give STL a bone!

Toot my own horn here, 50% in the first round, I'll go with all favorites in the second whether I like them or not.

BOS vs CAR

WSH vs Pitt

DET vs ANA

VAN vs CHI

I really want Ovie to crush Cindy Crosby this series.

As do i. I cant wait for Ovechkin to destroy "the kid" physically. This is going to be an amazing series. All the star power will make for an expolsive offensive series.

-The Pens i feel have more offense than the Caps by a slight margain.

-But the Caps' D men are much better in my view.

-Varlamov is hot and confident.

-Ovie still hasn't reached his playoff potential. And maybe playing against Crosby will bring it out of him.

I pick the Caps in 6.

Those Hurricanes are gritty.

AND they changed coaches this season!

And they have Eric Staal, for whom I would trade any skater on the Sabres, and Brind'Amour, who is exactly the kind of guy the Sabres were dying for at forward, and a few other grownups too -- Whitney, Cullen, etc.

The Rangers and the Habs also changed coaches this season. For that matter so did Tampa. Ottawa and San Jose. Did any of those teams get any production out of the new coach?

As do i. I cant wait for Ovechkin to destroy "the kid" physically. This is going to be an amazing series. All the star power will make for an expolsive offensive series.

-The Pens i feel have more offense than the Caps by a slight margain.

-But the Caps' D men are much better in my view.

-Varlamov is hot and confident.

-Ovie still hasn't reached his playoff potential. And maybe playing against Crosby will bring it out of him.

I pick the Caps in 6.

I'll be rooting for the Capitals but Varlamov worries me for their chances of winning against Pittsburgh. He faced little high quality shots vs. the NYR. Against Pittsburgh, he will be not only facing a high amount of shots, and not 15 like he did last night, but also, ALOT of high quality shots. NYR PP is a joke, while Pittsburgh will have Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, Kunitz and Sykora. I'm really interested to see how he plays.

And they have Eric Staal, for whom I would trade any skater on the Sabres, and Brind'Amour, who is exactly the kind of guy the Sabres were dying for at forward, and a few other grownups too -- Whitney, Cullen, etc.

The Rangers and the Habs also changed coaches this season. For that matter so did Tampa. Ottawa and San Jose. Did any of those teams get any production out of the new coach?

At least the Sharks, Rangers and Habs made the playoffs. San Jose won the freakin' Presidents' Trophy. Ottawa caught fire after changing coaches.

It was a move the Sabres begged for -- and still do. What's the worst thing that could have happened? Miss the playoffs?

Toot my own horn here, 50% in the first round, I'll go with all favorites in the second whether I like them or not.

BOS vs CAR

WSH vs Pitt

DET vs ANA

VAN vs CHI

How is Chicago the favourite here? Sorry but they are not the favourites.

Did Drury play in the first round??? Briere?? If so, didn't notice either of them, except for Drury getting pwned by Ovechkin on that highlight reel goal in game 6.

At least the Sharks, Rangers and Habs made the playoffs. San Jose won the freakin' Presidents' Trophy. Ottawa caught fire after changing coaches.

It was a move the Sabres begged for -- and still do. What's the worst thing that could have happened? Miss the playoffs?

I think it would have been worse to bottom out under an incompetent new coach and be rudderless going into next year.

The Habs are in complete disarray. Ottawa went on a pretty short hot streak after mumbles took over, but ended up the season losing 4 out of 5 and are still mired in crappiness. The Sharks and Rangers both regressed from last year's playoff performance. Speaking of the Rangers, Tortorella butchered the Avery situation, then freaked out on a fan and got himself suspended -- which in combination probably cost the Rangers the series.

As for the Sabres begging for a new coach -- they finished 2 points out of the playoffs despite losing their 2 best players, including their goalie, down the stretch. If those injuries don't happen, and if you substituted, say, Brind'Amour and Cole for Paille and Hecht -- ie if you adjust for items out of Lindy's control -- then the Sabres are probably in the #5 or #6 slot.

As for the Sabres begging for a new coach -- they finished 2 points out of the playoffs despite losing their 2 best players, including their goalie, down the stretch. If those injuries don't happen, and if you substituted, say, Brind'Amour and Cole for Paille and Hecht -- ie if you adjust for items out of Lindy's control -- then the Sabres are probably in the #5 or #6 slot.

We've known this for a couple years now, and yet........nothing

I'll be rooting for the Capitals but Varlamov worries me for their chances of winning against Pittsburgh. He faced little high quality shots vs. the NYR. Against Pittsburgh, he will be not only facing a high amount of shots, and not 15 like he did last night, but also, ALOT of high quality shots. NYR PP is a joke, while Pittsburgh will have Malkin, Crosby, Gonchar, Kunitz and Sykora. I'm really interested to see how he plays.

Very good point.

NYR was offensivly challenged the entire season. And that certaintly help Varlamov get into a grove. I dont even think he faced more than 25 shots in a game during the series. Pitt will be an entirly different story. Varlamov will be facing upwards toward 35+ shots a game.

The Pens' power play is scary.

Its really gonna come down to how the defense's match up against one another.

The ones I think will prove competitive/interesting in 1st round are;

EAST:

Pens vs. Flyers, Battle of Pennsylvania

Potential upset; Canes over devils

WEST:

Hawks vs. Flames

Potential Upset; Ducks Over Sharks

Wow forgot I picked clean the 2 upset specials, wish I could do that with money on the line...

Now the second round Hmmmmm,,,,

EAST

I'm thinking the Canes match up nicely with Boston. I could see another upset here.

And Pgh vs Washington is must see TV. OV and Cindy do not like each other and it should be pretty intense(Although I really would have liked that match up to happen for the ECF , damn those devils holding a lead). Flip a coin.

WEST

The Chicago Kids really impressed me with how much above their age level they are playing.. Will it last another round though against a sound defensive team like Canucks.... Hmmmm maybe I'm a liking these Hawks..

Anahiem at Detroit,,, Ahh finally a good test for Detroit. They seemed to toy with Columbus and Anaheim will present a much stiffer challenege but barring injury too much experience and offense on that Detroit team to bet against them...

Archived