PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Torts pretty much knew his team was gonna lose tonight but he's a big boy and can take the criticism for benching Avery. The guy is a tool and they won the last game despite his play. Now he gets his attitude adjusted with a game off and he'll be back for game 6. I think it's disgusting how the media equates victory with Avery in the Rangers lineup. Sure the numbers back up his being in the lineup, but it's embarrassing to the rest of the club to think that Avery is the reason they are winning.

Seriously. He's not Gretzky. He's not Orr. He's a fairly skilled pest.

Torts had no choice. I think he did the right thing.

This is why I like Totorella...he gets to know his players and he's not afraid to give any of them an attitude adjustment. Avery deserves whatever benching he gets, no matter what time of year.

Guest Sloth
Attention Chris Drury...........

Your jockstrap is sitting at your own blueline, courtesy of Ovechkin making you look silly! What a goal!

I didn't see the play live, but my jaw dropped when I saw it on ESPN. Ovechkin is the best player in the NHL. He is the complete player.

Torts pretty much knew his team was gonna lose tonight but he's a big boy and can take the criticism for benching Avery. The guy is a tool and they won the last game despite his play. Now he gets his attitude adjusted with a game off and he'll be back for game 6. I think it's disgusting how the media equates victory with Avery in the Rangers lineup. Sure the numbers back up his being in the lineup, but it's embarrassing to the rest of the club to think that Avery is the reason they are winning.

Seriously. He's not Gretzky. He's not Orr. He's a fairly skilled pest. Torts had no choice. I think he did the right thing.

Excellent way of putting it. I don't think Avery will ever change and for that reason prefer he never plays another game. He may bring a needed element to the Rags team, but I have to believe they can find someone who actually has a conscience to play that role.

Attention Chris Drury...........

Your jockstrap is sitting at your own blueline, courtesy of Ovechkin making you look silly! What a goal!

While OV avoided Drury's attempted open-ice hit, it was Derek Morris that Alex deked out of his jockstrap.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjUqB9rymc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjUqB9rymc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:worthy:

I don't think it was a good move by Torts to bench Avery. The Rangers looked utterly lifeless without him -- just like they looked most of the year until they got him. Hate Avery all you want (and he annoys me too), but he is a major factor for the Rangers. They are a completely different team with him in the lineup. It's quite likely Avery will look at this episode as further proof that the Rangers need him, and he'll feel free to do whatever he wants.

I think Torts should've kept his cool and talked one-on-one with Avery about the need to keep his composure and not take dumb penalties with the game on the line. Avery is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. He most likely would've done a better job of staying out of the box. Instead, Torts felt like he had to make a big public statement about him being in charge by benching Avery -- and look where it got him. The Rangers could easily lose this series. Torts let his ego get in the way.

Separately -- for all those who think Lundqvist is better than Miller -- Lundy can't play one good game, then one lousy one, then good, then lousy, in the playoffs and be considered as Miller's peer (let alone better).

I don't think it was a good move by Torts to bench Avery. The Rangers looked utterly lifeless without him -- just like they looked most of the year until they got him. Hate Avery all you want (and he annoys me too), but he is a major factor for the Rangers. They are a completely different team with him in the lineup. It's quite likely Avery will look at this episode as further proof that the Rangers need him, and he'll feel free to do whatever he wants.

I think Torts should've kept his cool and talked one-on-one with Avery about the need to keep his composure and not take dumb penalties with the game on the line. Avery is a lot of things, but he's not stupid. He most likely would've done a better job of staying out of the box. Instead, Torts felt like he had to make a big public statement about him being in charge by benching Avery -- and look where it got him. The Rangers could easily lose this series. Torts let his ego get in the way.

Separately -- for all those who think Lundqvist is better than Miller -- Lundy can't play one good game, then one lousy one, then good, then lousy, in the playoffs and be considered as Miller's peer (let alone better).

Could not disagree more - I cannot display the complete lack of moral character in any aspect of my life and expect to survive (on the job) let alone thrive. Avery is a disgusting example of a human being and not anything I want our youth to look up to. Win at any cost is a sociopathic characteristic that has no place in professional sports or society in general. Condoning his behavior in a public forum (on the part of Torts, the Rags organization and the league) would be disturbing to say the least. Does Avery need to kill someone before people get it? Keep pushing the boundaries of acceptable behavior and Avery will continue to cross over that boundary. He will never stop crossing over it, he has no ability to control himself and without restriction he will seriously injure someone or worse.

Could not disagree more - I cannot display the complete lack of moral character in any aspect of my life and expect to survive (on the job) let alone thrive. Avery is a disgusting example of a human being and not anything I want our youth to look up to. Win at any cost is a sociopathic characteristic that has no place in professional sports or society in general. Condoning his behavior in a public forum (on the part of Torts, the Rags organization and the league) would be disturbing to say the least. Does Avery need to kill someone before people get it? Keep pushing the boundaries of acceptable behavior and Avery will continue to cross over that boundary. He will never stop crossing over it, he has no ability to control himself and without restriction he will seriously injure someone or worse.

Holy hysterical exaggeration, batman!

Let's back up for a second. The guy is obnoxious and self-involved, but what has he really done? Antagonized his teammates? Made a sophomoric joke about his ex-girlfriend? Taken some dumb penalties?

Has he: seriously injured anyone in a hockey game? Assaulted anyone in a bar? Sold drugs? Beaten up his girlfriend? Fathered children and then not supported them? Anything like that, at all?

Let's back up for a second. The guy is obnoxious and self-involved, but what has he really done? Antagonized his teammates? Made a sophomoric joke about his ex-girlfriend? Taken some dumb penalties?

Has he: seriously injured anyone in a hockey game? Assaulted anyone in a bar? Sold drugs? Beaten up his girlfriend? Fathered children and then not supported them? Anything like that, at all?

To each his own, of course my perception is completely hysterical and you are the only right one. Use an ounce of intelligence watching Avery, please. He has proven beyond a doubt that he cannot operate within the confines of any boundaries or guidelines established and he never will - he will only continue to push to further and further extremes. The fact that he finds the acts of slapping his stick across (force is irrelevant) the back of a goaltender's head, elbowing someone in the face while making it look "accidental", and gesturing a slash of another player's throat funny should indicate to you that you are dealing with a disturbed individual without regard for others (self-involved? I say self-absorbed, a primary characteristic of a sociopath, he also shows no remorse - another characteristic). Sorry, you won't convince me that Avery is anything more than a criminal on skates. Some of the worst human characteristics on display in public forum.

To each his own, of course my perception is completely hysterical and you are the only right one. Use an ounce of intelligence watching Avery, please. He has proven beyond a doubt that he cannot operate within the confines of any boundaries or guidelines established and he never will - he will only continue to push to further and further extremes. The fact that he finds the acts of slapping his stick across (force is irrelevant) the back of a goaltender's head, elbowing someone in the face while making it look "accidental", and gesturing a slash of another player's throat funny should indicate to you that you are dealing with a disturbed individual without regard for others (self-involved? I say self-absorbed, a primary characteristic of a sociopath, he also shows no remorse - another characteristic). Sorry, you won't convince me that Avery is anything more than a criminal on skates. Some of the worst human characteristics on display in public forum.

The evil doer should be pre-emptively un-demarginalized. In other words, let's kill 'em Dick! heh heh heh

Can't say for sure about your first question in the second paragraph. We don't know the answer to the other questions, do we?

I can't speak to what you perceive, only as to the way you articulate it. I also can't promise more than a quarter-ounce (hello, Ink) of intelligence, although you might consider the general civil and respectful tone that posters try to use on this board.

Can't say for sure about your first question in the second paragraph. We don't know the answer to the other questions, do we?

We don't know, but shouldn't we try to assume that these things haven't happened unless there is evidence to the contrary? (especially since we probably would've heard about them since it is Avery.)

I don't know that Avery will cause severe bodily harm--I sure hope he doesn't--but he is a "win at all costs" guy within your meaning above. The fact that he doesn't even care about the damage he does to his own reputation says quite a lot.

I would be in total agreement with you if Avery had not butted that guy in the face on that icing play. He knew exactly what he was doing and looked to me like someone trying to injure someone else. I was actually surprised that he wasn't ejected after that play.

I can't speak to what you perceive, only as to the way you articulate it. I also can't promise more than a quarter-ounce (hello, Ink) of intelligence, although you might consider the general civil and respectful tone that posters try to use on this board.

We don't know, but shouldn't we try to assume that these things haven't happened unless there is evidence to the contrary? (especially since we probably would've heard about them since it is Avery.)

Um.....I was uncivil? Disrespectful? Sounds like you are a bit hysterical and exaggerative now.

I don't know that Avery will cause severe bodily harm--I sure hope he doesn't--but he is a "win at all costs" guy within your meaning above. The fact that he doesn't even care about the damage he does to his own reputation says quite a lot.

I hope you are right on the first point, although I think the longer he plays the greater the odds of that happening. It has to do with his choice in HOW he pushes the boundaries, which tends to involve the well-being of other players.

I would be in total agreement with you if Avery had not butted that guy in the face on that icing play. He knew exactly what he was doing and looked to me like someone trying to injure someone else. I was actually surprised that he wasn't ejected after that play.

To me, it looked like he was just trying to get in an extra half-punch to the other guy's face on that play -- an agitating shot, not an intent to injure. But I could be wrong.

Um.....I was uncivil? Disrespectful? Sounds like you are a bit hysterical and exaggerative now.

Did you not say:

Use an ounce of intelligence watching Avery, please.
??

To me, it looked like he was just trying to get in an extra half-punch to the other guy's face on that play -- an agitating shot, not an intent to injure. But I could be wrong.

Did you not say: ??

Yes, which is not uncivil, atleast as far as I can tell. Nor is it disrespectul - I'm simply asking you to use some intelligence when watching Avery. No more uncivil or disrespectful than having my opinion labeled as hysterical, which frankly, I find insulting. I did use some exaggeration to make my point, which, I thought to be allowed in literary constructs.

Yes, which is not uncivil, atleast as far as I can tell. Nor is it disrespectul - I'm simply asking you to use some intelligence when watching Avery. No more uncivil or disrespectful than having my opinion labeled as hysterical, which frankly, I find insulting. I did use some exaggeration to make my point, which, I thought to be allowed in literary constructs.

Really? So you typically in conversation will advise someone, when that person has already rendered an opinion on X, to use some intelligence when watching X?

Also, posts on a hockey message board are opinions on nonfiction matters -- not literary constructs.

Really? So you typically in conversation will advise someone, when that person has already rendered an opinion on X, to use some intelligence when watching X?

Also, posts on a hockey message board are opinions on nonfiction matters -- not literary constructs.

Literary - pertaining to writing (no length requirement)

Construct - an image, idea or theory

Idea - opinion, view or belief

That said - you are right, and you win. Fair enough?

No way. It was a backhand with his stick in his hand. If he took his hand off the stick I would agree but he didn't. He hit him with the butt end of the stick in the face. C'mon, after looking the other way and pretending he didn't know he was hitting Thomas in the head with his stick, after looking the other way and pretending he didn't know he was punching Varlamov in the head, do you really believe he didn't know he was hitting him in the face with the butt end of his stick? If it was me I would have known. And wasn't it on an icing play, where you are not allowed to make contact anymore, anyway?

Flyboys eliminated - wonder what happens with Biron? I don't thnk Philly gives them the money he will look for but I don't think that translates into Biron being to blame for the Flyers' early exit from the playoffs.

Archived