Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

You know, my wife was having all kinds of digestive issues before she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  To treat the primary symptoms she had to pick up her level of exercise (not an issue for you), but then she started curtailing certain foods and found that some were triggering symptoms.  Have you tried keeping a food diary?  Maybe you can identify foods that are triggering undesired reactions in your system.  (For the record, she doesn't eat land meats, shellfish, gluten, tomatoes or eggplant, or consume alcohol.)

Yup. I'm working out about 1-3 hours a day right now. 

I've kept food diaries on and off since I was about 14. I pretty much live on toast, cereal, granola bars, and sometimes eggs. 1 cup of tea in the morning, and cycle the rest of those throughout the day. And those cause problems sometimes too. Anything else is a total toss up as to whether I'll pay severely or not. So pretty much the BRAT diet they give you in the hospital. It makes me want to die it's so uninspired and joy sucking. Beer is relegated to weekends and then only 1-2, rarely rarely more. 

The only near cure I have is pretzles and ginger ale. God, you think I'd be skinnier given all of it haha 

Tired of traveling back and forth to Cali, Colombia, staying in crap hotels, and working crazy hours. Last time my driver never showed up at the airport. This time they forgot to book my hotel. The hassle for a non-Spanish speaker like myself is far greater than what I'm being paid.

:angry:

If she's ever back in B-lo she needs to let a bunch of us know.

Whiskey night, Bio!

Right?!  Still trying to keep an eye out for a reasonable flight so I can join the SS get together in March... Frontier so far has been much ado about nothing as far as that new direct route they promised (BOO).  Whointhehell would choose to take a flight that leaves Denver after midnight, stops for 3 hours in Orlando, and gets to Buffalo at 12:45pm the next day???  I love Denver, but I miss being able to just drive my car up there to see everyone.

Edited by biodork

Net Neutrality needs to be called something else. I don't think people understand the gravity of the situation. 

Isn't there some law as to what the prices of basic utilities can be because of this reason? It'd be like charging you $10/killowatt-hour for your TV but only $1/killowatt-hour for your ceiling light. 

Net Neutrality needs to be called something else. I don't think people understand the gravity of the situation.

It's called net neutrality. No one knows what the it means. I don't know what the it means. I am America. I'm too busy and too disinterested and too stupid to care. This is what the people who want to remove it want.

If they called it something horrific, like they should, then maybe it would get a little more traction.

Marketing. The name Net Neutrality is an anti marketing decision. Make it sound boring and ambiguous. No one will care when we completely them.

In observance of Thanksgiving we’ll be opening this thread Wednesday. :)

That's right!  Create your own rules!  Screw tradition.  No complaining on Thanksgiving!  :)

Also - net neutrality?  Screw it.  I'm already this close ][ to joining MODO in Sweden.  Let them come for my cable connection.... I won't be here anymore.  If you live in an area with competing ISPs you might do okay.  But most of the US does not.  There's this concept of DSL in Rochester, but it's a joke and it won't be around much longer.  The FCC has already de-tariffed copper.  18 months ago they approved the right of a telecom to remove a copper based service if it could be replaced by a fiber service at the same capabilities and price point.  So, what do you do?  You allow the telecoms to raise the price of copper based services so that they don't have to lower the cost of fiber.

Now the fiber service can replace the copper and boom.  No more DSL.

Of course the cable companies are the ones who truly hold all the power.  The DOCSIS 3.1 standard provides incredible speeds and is beginning to create havoc in the industry.  The best thing they can get is the ability to now kill services offered by anyone other than themselves.  

Once Net Neutrality dies you'll some some large telecom buy Netflix.  You might see Amazon try and buy a telecom.  It'll be their only defense against the cable companies destroying their services.  

It will be interesting to see if enterprising individuals or municipalities strike back against cable companies in this fight.  Rochester has Greenlight Networks which already sees massive demand for building out its residential fiber services.  You may also see an uptick in fixed wireless solutions as a way to bypass the cable company control over Internet.  Finally, the municipality may introduce its own competing solution.  After all, being the mayor of a city or the county executive of a county that acts against cable companies self-interest and anti-consumer behavior will gain you pretty good favor.

Imagine how you poll if you can prevent Spectrum from blocking your constituents ability to see Stranger Things.

Edited by LTS

That's right!  Create your own rules!  Screw tradition.  No complaining on Thanksgiving!  :)

Also - net neutrality?  Screw it.  I'm already this close ][ to joining MODO in Sweden.  Let them come for my cable connection.... I won't be here anymore.  If you live in an area with competing ISPs you might do okay.  But most of the US does not.  There's this concept of DSL in Rochester, but it's a joke and it won't be around much longer.  The FCC has already de-tariffed copper.  18 months ago they approved the right of a telecom to remove a copper based service if it could be replaced by a fiber service at the same capabilities and price point.  So, what do you do?  You allow the telecoms to raise the price of copper based services so that they don't have to lower the cost of fiber.

Of course the cable companies are the ones who truly hold all the power.  The DOCSIS 3.1 standard provides incredible speeds and is beginning to create havoc in the industry.  The best thing they can get is the ability to now kill services offered by anyone other than themselves.  

Once Net Neutrality kicks in you'll some some large telecom buy Netflix.  You might see Amazon try and buy a telecom.  It'll be their only defense against the cable companies destroying their services.  

It will be interesting to see if enterprising individuals or municipalities strike back against cable companies in this fight.  Rochester has Greenlight Networks which already sees massive demand for building out its residential fiber services.  You may also see an uptick in fixed wireless solutions as a way to bypass the cable company control over Internet.  Finally, the municipality may introduce its own competing solution.  After all, being the mayor of a city or the county executive of a county that acts against cable companies self-interest and anti-consumer behavior will gain you pretty good favor.

Imagine how you poll if you can prevent Spectrum from blocking your constituents ability to see Stranger Things.

There is some terrifying information in this post

Once Net Neutrality kicks in you'll some some large telecom buy Netflix.  You might see Amazon try and buy a telecom.  It'll be their only defense against the cable companies destroying their services.  

One correction: we have Net Neutrality now (thanks, Obama). The current FCC head wants to destroy it. "Once Net Neutrality dies and your ISP get to decide what you can conveniently access..." is more apt.

To put it in local terms, here's a scenario: HFboards decides to cozy up with FIOS and give them a bunch of money to make them their "preferred" hockey discussion site. FIOS comes by to tell SDS, implying that if he ponies up, they won't limit the bandwidth FIOS subscribers get to SS. Then Comcast comes along and limits the bandwidth (or blocks) everyone other than the NBCSports Hockey Forum. Obviously, hockey sites aren't the issue, but Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Goodle TV/Music, Youtube, etc. all care about this. It's letting your ISP to sell your access to the highest bidder. And since there's only one option in many places, you're stuck with it.

I want my ISP to be a utility. The water and electric don't care what I do with their product. My ISP doesn't get to adjust what I do on the internet. If you think it's far-fetched, it's already happened to Netflix which is why the rule is in place. Comcast slowed Netflix down unless Netflix paid up. Extortion: nice internet service you got there, shame if anything slowed it down.

Isn't there some law as to what the prices of basic utilities can be because of this reason? It'd be like charging you $10/killowatt-hour for your TV but only $1/killowatt-hour for your ceiling light. 

I forget where it ended up, but that was the idea with ISPs. They wanted to/did classify it as a utility so the ISPs couldn't mess with it. Now that there's a suitably anti-consumer administration in place, they're tossing that rule.

One correction: we have Net Neutrality now (thanks, Obama). The current FCC head wants to destroy it. "Once Net Neutrality dies and your ISP get to decide what you can conveniently access..." is more apt.

To put it in local terms, here's a scenario: HFboards decides to cozy up with FIOS and give them a bunch of money to make them their "preferred" hockey discussion site. FIOS comes by to tell SDS, implying that if he ponies up, they won't limit the bandwidth FIOS subscribers get to SS. Then Comcast comes along and limits the bandwidth (or blocks) everyone other than the NBCSports Hockey Forum. Obviously, hockey sites aren't the issue, but Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Goodle TV/Music, Youtube, etc. all care about this. It's letting your ISP to sell your access to the highest bidder. And since there's only one option in many places, you're stuck with it.

I want my ISP to be a utility. The water and electric don't care what I do with their product. My ISP doesn't get to adjust what I do on the internet. If you think it's far-fetched, it's already happened to Netflix which is why the rule is in place. Comcast slowed Netflix down unless Netflix paid up. Extortion: nice internet service you got there, shame if anything slowed it down.

I forget where it ended up, but that was the idea with ISPs. They wanted to/did classify it as a utility so the ISPs couldn't mess with it. Now that there's a suitably anti-consumer administration in place, they're tossing that rule.

Yup.

Net Neutrality is important. Agreed folks.

But my complaint is my little 3 year old Greyhound/Terrier Juno is dealing with a pretty serious seeming illness as she had vomiting/loss of appetite and was really lethargic over the last two days. We tried to give her some time to get better but her condition is not improving. I took her to the emergency vet and got blood work and x-rays last night. Blood work came back normal other than dehydration, and the x-rays are inconclusive – there was a circular mass in the GI tract but they weren’t sure if it was feces or a foreign object. She continues to drink water a little at a time, but has no appetite (not even fresh cooked chicken), so I am going to keep an eye on her until our follow up appointment Friday at 3:40pm.

My wife is freaking out, and it's really bumming me out having to tell her that everything will be alright, even if I have no idea if it will. Times like this really remind me that pets do become a part of the family, and i'm hoping she improves so we aren't worried sick during the holiday tomorrow.  :cry:

Geez.. what the hell was I typing.  Thanks.  I have edited it. 

Net Neutrality is important. Agreed folks.

But my complaint is my little 3 year old Greyhound/Terrier Juno is dealing with a pretty serious seeming illness as she had vomiting/loss of appetite and was really lethargic over the last two days. We tried to give her some time to get better but her condition is not improving. I took her to the emergency vet and got blood work and x-rays last night. Blood work came back normal other than dehydration, and the x-rays are inconclusive – there was a circular mass in the GI tract but they weren’t sure if it was feces or a foreign object. She continues to drink water a little at a time, but has no appetite (not even fresh cooked chicken), so I am going to keep an eye on her until our follow up appointment Friday at 3:40pm.

My wife is freaking out, and it's really bumming me out having to tell her that everything will be alright, even if I have no idea if it will. Times like this really remind me that pets do become a part of the family, and i'm hoping she improves so we aren't worried sick during the holiday tomorrow.  :cry:

I'm hoping for the best.  I love dogs almost more than people.  We have two dogs now and we found out one has heartworm.  They're young so she likely got it as a puppy when she was rescued from the flooding in Louisiana last year.  However, she's on restricted exercise and begins her injection treatments next month (she's on anti-biotics to kill the diseases that heartworm carry before they inject to kill the heartworm).  It's expensive and it sucks that we have to try and keep a 1.5 year old dog inactive as much as possible.  I hope everything turns out okay for you and for her (and for your wife).

Went to step one today of family court for custody. My wife and my son's biological father are set to do battle.

This piece of actually had the balls to file for full custody. He hasn't seen his son in 18 months. When he saw him 18 months ago it was for 12 hours. That was when he finally gave him his Christmas present. Yup, Christmas in March. That one visit marks the entire total of his visits in the past 3 years.

I along with his mother have been the only two people raising this boy for the past decade. 10 years, this mother hasn't been involved at all! He used to get him every other weekend. He ended the visits short all the time. Then it was once a month. Now it's once ever 3 years. you, you ! He's my son! You can't have him!

Today was a preliminary hearing of sorts. It went very well for us. All this guy wants to do is get out of paying child support. I could give a about the support. We do not need his money. But his son should have it. It should have been going into a college fund for him for the past 13 years.

This guy....I swear to God...

...it has become my life's purpose to destroy him in court.

Went to step one today of family court for custody. My wife and my son's biological father are set to do battle.

This piece of ###### actually had the balls to file for full custody. He hasn't seen his son in 18 months. When he saw him 18 months ago it was for 12 hours. That was when he finally gave him his Christmas present. Yup, Christmas in ###### March. That one visit marks the entire total of his visits in the past 3 years.

I along with his mother have been the only two people raising this boy for the past decade. 10 years, this mother ###### hasn't been involved at all! He used to get him every other weekend. He ended the visits short all the time. Then it was once a month. Now it's once ever 3 years. ###### you, you ###### ######! He's my son! You can't ###### have him!

Today was a preliminary hearing of sorts. It went very well for us. All this guy wants to do is get out of paying child support. I could give a ###### about the support. We do not need his ###### money. But his son should have it. It should have been going into a college fund for him for the past 13 years.

This ###### guy....I swear to God...

...it has become my life's purpose to destroy him in court.

What a POS. I feel like you and ChileanSeaBass (if he's still around) will have a lot in common.

buump.

Went home for Thanksgiving. Learned of another old friend's death. Another heroin related ending. 

At the end of October, his brother had posted that he was in the ICU. I'd been watching the posts to see if he improved, never saw anything, didn't think much of it after a couple of weeks. It came up during dinner my first night home, and that's when I discovered he had passed, and the post his brother made never showed up in my newsfeed for whatever reason. 

The family never put up an obituary. 

It's been lingering in my brain for a good week or so now. This guy, to make a long story short, set in motion a series of events that put me through years of hell. Dumb kid stuff- he hadn't met me yet when he started it all. Then he got to know me, and we became really good friends, and he did everything he could to stop the BS he'd started, but couldn't- it had snowballed by then. 

I'll never forget a conversation we had before he walked on stage to graduate (he was a senior when I was a freshman). He said he didn't deserve my friendship, that he would only ever amount to a lot of baggage to people, that he'd washup and die before 30. 

He made 30. But only just. Left behind a 9 year old daughter. It just breaks me- he had a good heart, was friendly and well liked, but he just kept making mistakes and discounting himself into more failure. Came from a good family, had a lot of talent. He was a big bear of a guy, gave the best hugs. 

Death toll of people I knew in high school is just higher and higher from this sh!t.