Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

The amount of information I just had to provide on the application for a part time job is ridiculous. No wonder companies can't fill positions. Stop making people give you their entire life story for a $10/hr position. You don't need references, you don't need their work history, you don't need to know where they went to school. You just hire them. And if they suck: fire them.  :doh:  

My new coworker was running really late this morning, which is unusual for her because normally she will text me if she's stuck in traffic or overslept, and we had training scheduled for 9am.  Almost an hour later I get a message from her saying she thinks her drink was spiked at a concert last night because she'd just woken up in an unfamiliar place and has no idea where her car is.  She's going to the police and the hospital to get checked out, and I'm really worried for her because she has no idea what happened.  She doesn't drink... she even turned down a dessert yesterday at our holiday potluck because it was made with bourbon.  I was afraid she'd been in a car accident, but this is so much worse.   :(

Update from last week:

So she eventually found familiar surroundings, and it turned out she was at someone's house/apartment a few blocks away from the theater and her car was still where she'd parked it.  She's hoping maybe someone who worked there saw her in a bad way and was taking care of her because she had all her belongings and her clothes weren't in disarray, but no one was there when she woke up and there was no note left behind.  But she got her test results back on Monday and she had GHB in her system, which definitely explains why she can't remember anything after the first 3 songs of the concert.  So after she's telling me all this and I'm feeling slightly relieved and thinking about how it could have been much worse, she tells me that she's having some PTSD because 5 years ago she was gang raped after getting way too drunk at a party.   :o  :cry:  And what kind of a f*cked up society do we live in where she's blaming herself for having the audacity to go to a concert alone (after the friend who was supposed to go with her bailed at the last minute)???  Jesus.  I can't even.

I hope she had a rape kit done.

She declined it... I didn't push her on it because it was probably too late by the time she was telling me, but I had the impression she felt like that was going to bring up too many bad memories from the past experience.  She did at least get a regular physical exam done, so that's something.  :/

She's doing remarkably well at work this week, but I think she's just trying to keep very busy and not think about it much.  And thankfully she has a counselor who she'd used in the past and re-contacted last week, so that is good.

The day that my wife and I finally put our daughter in a home, will be the best,... and worst day of our lives.

Group home?

It's tough but it's also a huge help. We had to put my aunt (Downs, in her late 50's now) in one about 6 years ago and honestly it's improved her quality of life. They keep her busy and help her work and she comes home on the weekends so it's not like she doesn't see the people she's lived with her whole life (my grandpa and my spinster aunt).

The day that my wife and I finally put our daughter in a home, will be the best,... and worst day of our lives.

I wish that we lived near each other. My wife lives for that. She takes care of developmentally disabled/special needs/autistic/LD young adults of various functionality, from severely disabled to pretty high functioning. She just gets it. Makes almost instant connections. Most days she'd rather be with them at work than me at home(who could blame her).

She comes home every day wearing a huge smile and she always has a story. I definitely don't deserve a person with that kind of heart, but I lucked out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are some great places out there with wonderful, caring, loving and compassionate people working there. I hope when the time comes, you find one like that. Best of luck to you guys.

Group home?

It's tough but it's also a huge help. We had to put my aunt (Downs, in her late 50's now) in one about 6 years ago and honestly it's improved her quality of life. They keep her busy and help her work and she comes home on the weekends so it's not like she doesn't see the people she's lived with her whole life (my grandpa and my spinster aunt).

Yep. I know it will be great for her and good for us. Doesn't make it suck any less.

I wish that we lived near each other. My wife lives for that. She takes care of developmentally disabled/special needs/autistic/LD young adults of various functionality, from severely disabled to pretty high functioning. She just gets it. Makes almost instant connections. Most days she'd rather be with them at work than me at home(who could blame her).

She comes home every day wearing a huge smile and she always has a story. I definitely don't deserve a person with that kind of heart, but I lucked out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are some great places out there with wonderful, caring, loving and compassionate people working there. I hope when the time comes, you find one like that. Best of luck to you guys.

That's pretty awesome. We already work with some amazing people. There's a special place in heaven for folk like your wife (at least there better be).:lol:

Eh, just all the upbeat new year glitter has worn off and I'm staring down another year of struggling to make ends meet. I'm not hopeful to find a job. No one ever buys prints- certainly not enough to make it worth it. All the employed artists I know are just factories pumping out inspiring messages and it's like.. yeah, easy for you to say, you have a paycheck and a future and don't feel like a drain on your goals/relationship/feel worthless.  

I have to do better this year. I'm praying I get a few good clients and big jobs. Considering trying to crack into the wedding industry- people love to part with their money for their big day, but I'm still not sure how to go about executing my ideas for that.

I'm terrified. Feels like a giant black hole is swallowing me up. 

Eh, just all the upbeat new year glitter has worn off and I'm staring down another year of struggling to make ends meet. I'm not hopeful to find a job. No one ever buys prints- certainly not enough to make it worth it. All the employed artists I know are just factories pumping out inspiring messages and it's like.. yeah, easy for you to say, you have a paycheck and a future and don't feel like a drain on your goals/relationship/feel worthless.  

I have to do better this year. I'm praying I get a few good clients and big jobs. Considering trying to crack into the wedding industry- people love to part with their money for their big day, but I'm still not sure how to go about executing my ideas for that.

I'm terrified. Feels like a giant black hole is swallowing me up. 

Your artwork is amazing Jo. If I'm you I'd listen to d4rk, don't sweat it too much

My own: hit a solid quarter life crisis recently. Jesus, that was terrifying. Finally over it; stopped worrying about stupid things, and stopped throwing myself a pity-party

Or, in other words, I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

Your artwork is amazing Jo. If I'm you I'd listen to d4rk, don't sweat it too much

My own: hit a solid quarter life crisis recently. Jesus, that was terrifying. Finally over it; stopped worrying about stupid things, and stopped throwing myself a pity-party

Or, in other words, I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

Sometimes it's all you can do, man 

8cuO2o.gif

and thanks. I know I've got the talent, I just have to find the place that wants me. I'm not sure it's in Buffalo though. Or i just don't know the right person. In the meantime, the bills, they pile. I was doing some banking and my god, they make you feel like absolute sh!t when you have a 16k income. Especially since it used to be 50k. It was very much a "why are you even here" feeling. "Don't you have ANY other source of income????" asked and called multiple times. No. No I don't. I'm sorry. I'm a waste of space. Jesus. "what is your job? oh, self employed?" And you can hear them thinking "probably sells some MLM lularoe BS and calls herself a boss babe"

still better than working for my old company i guess. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

You really need to stop worrying about "finding a job" with some other company. You have one already: your business. 

That's all you need to work on. Your business. That's where success and freedom lie. 

I agree, but there's not a whole lot of money in it, I'm not sure there ever will be. I'll get more respect from banks/etc once I've had it for 2 years- seems to be the magic number. One year down. No wonder most small businesses fail in the first 3 years- it's daunting as all hell. 

Speaking of, I'm going to log off and get back to work. 

Sometimes it's all you can do, man 

8cuO2o.gif

and thanks. I know I've got the talent, I just have to find the place that wants me. I'm not sure it's in Buffalo though. Or i just don't know the right person. In the meantime, the bills, they pile. I was doing some banking and my god, they make you feel like absolute sh!t when you have a 16k income. Especially since it used to be 50k. It was very much a "why are you even here" feeling. "Don't you have ANY other source of income????" asked and called multiple times. No. No I don't. I'm sorry. I'm a waste of space. Jesus. "what is your job? oh, self employed?" And you can hear them thinking "probably sells some MLM lularoe BS and calls herself a boss babe"

still better than working for my old company i guess. 

I'm just an older guy blathering and know nothing about your field, but moving sometimes is the best option. When I came out of UB grad many moons ago, my best salary offer was 9K ( that's not a typo). Some of grad buds had moved to Boston, so I sucked it up and moved. Ended up with a job paying 28K in about 3 months. You can always go home.

I agree, but there's not a whole lot of money in it, I'm not sure there ever will be. I'll get more respect from banks/etc once I've had it for 2 years- seems to be the magic number. One year down. No wonder most small businesses fail in the first 3 years- it's daunting as all hell. 

Speaking of, I'm going to log off and get back to work. 

Banks? Ain't nobody care about banks. I'll deal with the banks. 

You're doing fine. It's going to be a slog but you're going to look back on it and be glad you did it. It's given you the opportunity to do things you otherwise wouldn't have been able to do, and been much more productive for you as an artist than just doing work for someone else's company where they tell you what to do and cut into your profits. You're cultivating a customer base and a process, figuring out where to make money. 

The important thing is to keep working at it. I know you're not the type to get complacent so I'm not worried. I believe in youuuuuuu. 

I'm just an older guy blathering and know nothing about your field, but moving sometimes is the best option. When I came out of UB grad many moons ago, my best salary offer was 9K ( that's not a typo). Some of grad buds had moved to Boston, so I sucked it up and moved. Ended up with a job paying 28K in about 3 months. You can always go home.

Unfortunately that's not an option for me right now. I just moved here from Rochester last May. This was supposed to be my "hey a bigger city, with SPORTS!" chance. That and d4rk is well ensconced here, and after 3 years of long-ish distance, I don't want to run off. Rock and a hard place. 

Ideally we would move to where the opportunity is better for her, but I'm basically stuck here in Buffalo where the job I currently have is my only real path forward. I'm not able to move anytime soon, so the choice would be hers if she wanted to move without me to somewhere that was better for her career.

We just spent the last couple years living mostly apart (I was in Buffalo 4 nights a week), so I don't think she's in a hurry to go back to living apart. It was pretty lonely for her and the cat. I don't think she's sick of seeing me every night yet :p