Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

A while back my brother took our car somewhere because the airbag light was on. I drove the car once after that happened and then my dad tried to take it into Buffalo and freaked out on me because there was no oil in the reservoir. None. The car basically shut down, or something, I wasn't with him (that's what my truck did when an oil line broke). He thought I had just ridden it dry or something, but I check the oil levels every single week, including the week before we took it in, because my first two vehicles had those random leaks in them that I always caught too late. We put new oil in and it held it at that level for months after that, no leaks. 

I'm not claiming that wherever my brother took the car just drained all of our oil for some reason, but it was literally bone dry. WTF.

This may possibly be the case. I won't totally dismiss it. But my brake light has never came on before. Maybe 2 years ago or so but since then I've had no indication of a leak of any kind.

I'll keep telling myself that it was a ticking time bomb just to help stomach the cost (which hurts more when you're a recent graduate trying to make ends meet). But it's really hard to feel good about it when you have had zero indication of there being any issue until you bring it into their shop for the first time in your life.

Honestly, what are the odds that the brake line breaks the one time I put it on a Pep Boys lift? And if it broke while they were putting on a wheel bearing, shouldn't the fix fall on them? I don't know, the damage is done and the money is out of the account. I'm just going back and forth between trying to accept it and hoping I wasn't made a fool.

Alot of times, putting a car on a lift is what ultimately fails the brake line.  The load is taken off the suspension and things flex ever so slightly and a badly rusted line will let go.  It wasn't leaking before then because it was still holding on by a thread. 

Your brake lines likely were really close to letting go on an ordinary stop.  And a panic stop almost certainly would have done them in,  You got lucky.  You're suspicious, but you're lucky.

Edited by We've

A while back my brother took our car somewhere because the airbag light was on. I drove the car once after that happened and then my dad tried to take it into Buffalo and freaked out on me because there was no oil in the reservoir. None. The car basically shut down, or something, I wasn't with him (that's what my truck did when an oil line broke). He thought I had just ridden it dry or something, but I check the oil levels every single week, including the week before we took it in, because my first two vehicles had those random leaks in them that I always caught too late. We put new oil in and it held it at that level for months after that, no leaks. 

I'm not claiming that wherever my brother took the car just drained all of our oil for some reason, but it was literally bone dry. WTF.

Similar happened to my daughter this year. WTF is right.

What kind of car?  I know that Chevy Equinox's with the 4cyl engine are known oil burners.  And the damned things are so efficient you never see the blue smoke in the exhaust anymore.

How do I know?  Went to change the oil on the wife's nox and when I drained it there were 2 quarts left.  I am religious about oil change intervals and watch my vehicles like a hawk.  25 years in product development in the auto industry will do that to ya.  One call to the dealer confirmed that GM has an issue with those motors.  We had our pistons and rings repalced the next week under warranty.  This is a car with 50k miles on it.

Alot of times, putting a car on a lift is what ultimately fails the brake line.  The load is taken off the suspension and things flex ever so slightly and a badly rusted line will let go.  It wasn't leaking before then because it was still holding on by a thread. 

Your brake lines likely were really close to letting go on an ordinary stop.  And a panic stop almost certainly would have done them in,  You got lucky.  You're suspicious, but you're lucky.

Good information to know. Like I said, I wish I knew more about cars and was able to diagnose things myself. Since I can't, I remain skeptical typically. 

I do feel a little better about paying for the fix though. Thanks for the insight, We've.

What kind of car?  I know that Chevy Equinox's with the 4cyl engine are known oil burners.  And the damned things are so efficient you never see the blue smoke in the exhaust anymore.

How do I know?  Went to change the oil on the wife's nox and when I drained it there were 2 quarts left.  I am religious about oil change intervals and watch my vehicles like a hawk.  25 years in product development in the auto industry will do that to ya.  One call to the dealer confirmed that GM has an issue with those motors.  We had our pistons and rings repalced the next week under warranty.  This is a car with 50k miles on it.

It's a Subaru Legacy. Nothing like it had happened before or since, so I'm not sure what went on. And I don't know the name of the place he took it either. 

Good information to know. Like I said, I wish I knew more about cars and was able to diagnose things myself. Since I can't, I remain skeptical typically. 

I do feel a little better about paying for the fix though. Thanks for the insight, We've.

I've had brake lines fail like that.  When I was young and broke I had a 15 yr old car blow its break lines when it was towed. Tow truck hoisted it up and the brake lines on both sides broke.  I was mad then too, but it sure beats slamming the brakes on the I-90 and not having any because the line busted under the pressure of a full panic stop.

Had a brake line fail on a 10 yr old car when I slammed on the brakes trying to avoid a deer more recently.  The ABS kicked in for a moment and then the pedal went to the floor.  Got the car pulled over and brake fluid poured out onto the pavement.  I missed the deer but I still paid $1,000 for the brake line replacement.  Better than hitting a car coming to a stop in an intersection....

I've had brake lines fail like that.  When I was young and broke I had a 15 yr old car blow its break lines when it was towed. Tow truck hoisted it up and the brake lines on both sides broke.  I was mad then too, but it sure beats slamming the brakes on the I-90 and not having any because the line busted under the pressure of a full panic stop.

Had a brake line fail on a 10 yr old car when I slammed on the brakes trying to avoid a deer more recently.  The ABS kicked in for a moment and then the pedal went to the floor.  Got the car pulled over and brake fluid poured out onto the pavement.  I missed the deer but I still paid $1,000 for the brake line replacement.  Better than hitting a car coming to a stop in an intersection....

Mine went in a Walmart parking lot just as I was about to pull out onto a busy street with loads of traffic lights (and hence stops) once. It likely wouldn't have been deadly but it would have been costly had it happened 3 minutes later.

Absolutely. I'm driving to Rochester this weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate my grandma's 90th birthday with family so I'm glad everything is taken care of before that trek. 

Absolutely. I'm driving to Rochester this weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate my grandma's 90th birthday with family so I'm glad everything is taken care of before that trek.

Had the brake lines ever been done previously? If not then you were probably due. The rest of em are probably not too far off from needing to be done either.

I've had several cars have brakes blow out while driving. It's not fun.

Had the brake lines ever been done previously? If not then you were probably due. The rest of em are probably not too far off from needing to be done either.

I've had several cars have brakes blow out while driving. It's not fun.

Man, I didn't think it was such a common problem... But no, these brake lines have never had work done on them before. They fixed the rear brake lines and mentioned to me that the fuel lines don't look great either. 

Man, I didn't think it was such a common problem... But no, these brake lines have never had work done on them before. They fixed the rear brake lines and mentioned to me that the fuel lines don't look great either.

Probably. All of that stuff tends to start going after the ten year mark. Winters take a toll.

Probably. All of that stuff tends to start going after the ten year mark. Winters take a toll.

True. Well, I appreciate you and We've listening to me complain. It was therapeutic in a way. I plan on waking up with a fresh mindset and happy to drive to work rather than take my 4th Uber drive in the last 2 days. 

True. Well, I appreciate you and We've listening to me complain. It was therapeutic in a way. I plan on waking up with a fresh mindset and happy to drive to work rather than take my 4th Uber drive in the last 2 days.

Fixing cars sucks. We all know we are gonna have to do it, and yet it always sucks and feels unexpected and like we're getting cheated.

Lifetime maintenance should just be built into the purchase price.

We've neutered school discipline in this country and we wonder why we have at least a generation and a half worth of coddled, self-absorbed children who can't handle the slightest bit of failure to go along with a generation and a half worth of parents who take no responsibility for the role of raising reasonably responsible, well adjusted, non-egocentric people.  They are great at criticizing how other people do it for them, but don't even hint that they might be doing their children a disservice from their ever present blame-copter.

A kid can say whatever they want to me and 9 times out of 10 the parent's response is to ask what I did to provoke them.  I asked them to sit down and put their cell phone away so they can learn some American History or at least, God forbid, not impede others in the room from trying to learn it.  My bad.  How can we address my egregious behavior and lack of ability to differentiate for your need to provide your child with an electronic umbilical cord and their apparent God given right to do whatever the hell they please whenever they feel like doing it.

I think I'm lucky to have been raised in Wyoming County, or at least in the school district I was. There was none of this, though I don't doubt it's all over the place like you say. The student body as a whole had respect for our teachers and knew we were in the wrong if we were caught with a cell phone like that, or in any number of similar situations, and students almost always did what they were supposed to in that scenario, whether it was leave, hand over the cell phone for the rest of the period per classroom policy, just put it away and not use it again, whatever. 

If you want to get to know a person on twitter/social media, save the DMing and compliments for when you have built up a frequent and witty rapport... or get straight to the point so they can tell you to eff off.

This current one is harmless... just... persistent. Not doing enough to be actually hitting on me per se, but just... overly friendly... direct messaging me inane stuff but... the second you go into DMs it just gets a bit too personal I guess?

I know I could just block him and be done with it but I always feel sh!tty just doing that.. harmless just... weird. I save the banhammer for dudes who are like "hey bby wan sum f*k" or rape threats, yaknow? I get enough of those as it is. 

This isn't the first time this particular guy has done this with me either... Happened a couple years ago, and now it's like groundhog day with the same questions and kind of cringey "nice guy" talk... no mention of having a bf seems to help either. 

Weird. Just being polite and brief and otherwise ignoring him. Worked the first time. :/ 

Edited by Josie914

So, I spend a few days of my life creating a training presentation, flying to Florida, spending 8 hours delivering the training and getting everyone up to speed on how things are supposed to work when they order from us.

We get our first order from them and they do nothing but ask questions about everything.  I answer them, then they bitch about how the contract looks (they knew it would have additional line item descriptors on it but the costs would be the same).  Then they bitch about the discount structure and how its handled (they knew how it would work.)

They take up 4 hours of my time in one day bitching and moaning and then they cancel their order.

Meanwhile, my internal people, who are all trained as well do not get involved, and then have the audacity to ask me why certain things are the way they are.

The other day I was talking to another person in the company and I stated it like this...  "If this company were an NFL team we'd have 3 QBs and 50 punters".  There are a handful of people that actually do anything, remember anything, or make decisions.  The rest are just there to make our lives miserable.

Bernie was right about the DNC being corrupt. 

This is a revelation?

F CANCER!!

Another close family friend is about to lose the battle.

Our beagle was just diagnosed.  Unfortunately I don't have the extra $10k lying around to extend her life another year or two.  :(

If you want to get to know a person on twitter/social media, save the DMing and compliments for when you have built up a frequent and witty rapport... or get straight to the point so they can tell you to eff off.

This current one is harmless... just... persistent. Not doing enough to be actually hitting on me per se, but just... overly friendly... direct messaging me inane stuff but... the second you go into DMs it just gets a bit too personal I guess?

I know I could just block him and be done with it but I always feel sh!tty just doing that.. harmless just... weird. I save the banhammer for dudes who are like "hey bby wan sum f*k" or rape threats, yaknow? I get enough of those as it is. 

This isn't the first time this particular guy has done this with me either... Happened a couple years ago, and now it's like groundhog day with the same questions and kind of cringey "nice guy" talk... no mention of having a bf seems to help either. 

Weird. Just being polite and brief and otherwise ignoring him. Worked the first time. :/ 

I can't believe you'd air our personal DMs in public like this. I was just trying to be nice!

Complaint: instead of getting work done last night, I spent a bunch of time trying to get a couple stripped set-screws loosened so I could finish putting my new desk together. Came like that from the factory, no less.  (final solution: tap a T10 Torx bit into the rounded hex-shaped hole and back it out)

Is there a setting so when I go into a thread it takes me to the most recent page? For example, I came into this tread through the mobile app, and it takes me to 2008. I'd have to keep hitting the Next button to get to the end, unless I post.

I think tapping on the circle/star goes to first unread post; the title starts from the beginning.