Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

My experience was much the same for an extended period of time, and then WHAM! I got it back with/from a specific band in ~2009.

The band was not WHAM!, I should clarify.

Buy a CD, or LP and listen to the whole thing. MP3s sound like $#!t. Youtube sounds like $#!t.

I mentioned this in the Awesome thread, I signed up for Tidal and have been listening like a fiend again. It sounds great (not CD or LP great but still way more depth than any other option) and if you go full screen, the graphic looks like a spinning LP. I know it may sound silly but it changes the way it feels.

I miss thumbing through my big CD case for my next selection while driving around. There was something enjoyable about putting a disc into a Sony Walkman feeding car stereo through one of those cassette deck adapters. 

I don't listen through albums anymore. I don't get in my car and listen to the same CD in the CD player over and over because "well, it's in there". 

I miss that. 

I miss thumbing through my big CD case for my next selection while driving around. There was something enjoyable about putting a disc into a Sony Walkman feeding car stereo through one of those cassette deck adapters. 

I don't listen through albums anymore. I don't get in my car and listen to the same CD in the CD player over and over because "well, it's in there". 

I miss that. 

I do it to some degree with spotify. I have premium because I listen so much, and I make one or two playlists that I download and can play in the car. It's like my old mix tapes. My old CDs barely play anymore, so I often just make playlists of those CDs, put the windows down, and drive an extra ten minutes in the country. Helps my mental state a lot. 

But yeah, it's not the same. I just stumbled across all my old high school/college mixes the other day (ironically while d4rk was watching the final Hip concert) and man, brings up a lot of old feelings. I have a hard time delving into new stuff now. Never used to be a problem, I was hungry to listen to any and everything. Now I just find myself reaching for the comfort of the old favorites. 

I miss that.

I left that CD case at a house party in 2004. I'm still upset about it. But in the world of YouTube, I now have every song ever made in my pocket. Sometimes it's overwhelming, and I "can't find anything to listen to" but other times, my car or my man cave can transport me into the pit, right next to the stage and I just drive for miles, screaming at my windshield.

This one got me there the other day...

Part of the reduction in enthusiasm for music is age/lack of time.  I think a big part is that the music scene (and music itself) is not what it once was.  I'm trying to remember the last time I heard a new song that really made me sit up and take notice.  (Actually, it may have been "Bad Romance" by GaGa.)

I listen to old Genesis albums (when Gabriel was still with the band) and the complexity of the songs is amazing.  I listen to (most of) today's music and it does not have the same depth.

Part of the reduction in enthusiasm for music is age/lack of time.  I think a big part is that the music scene (and music itself) is not what it once was.  I'm trying to remember the last time I heard a new song that really made me sit up and take notice.  (Actually, it may have been "Bad Romance" by GaGa.)

I listen to old Genesis albums (when Gabriel was still with the band) and the complexity of the songs is amazing.  I listen to (most of) today's music and it does not have the same depth.

To be fair, most music in Genesis' day didn't have the same depth either. You're not going to hear anything interesting on the radio, that's not where the action is these days. Commercial radio has to sell so they're going to cater to the LCD and play it safe.

I still buy my music on CD.

So do I. So that I can rip it from the CD and put it on my phone or the SD card that goes in my car. But man, navigating my car's touchscreen while driving is a nightmare. A CD was so much easier to use. 

I do it to some degree with spotify. I have premium because I listen so much, and I make one or two playlists that I download and can play in the car. It's like my old mix tapes. My old CDs barely play anymore, so I often just make playlists of those CDs, put the windows down, and drive an extra ten minutes in the country. Helps my mental state a lot. 

But yeah, it's not the same. I just stumbled across all my old high school/college mixes the other day (ironically while d4rk was watching the final Hip concert) and man, brings up a lot of old feelings. I have a hard time delving into new stuff now. Never used to be a problem, I was hungry to listen to any and everything. Now I just find myself reaching for the comfort of the old favorites. 

See I don't stream while I drive because of data usage reasons. So I can't do that. I have to have the music on my phone or SD card, which means that music has to get on there somehow. And as above, there's a distinct tactile issue with using my infotainment center vs the old days of just flipping CDs in and out. 

I left that CD case at a house party in 2004. I'm still upset about it. But in the world of YouTube, I now have every song ever made in my pocket. Sometimes it's overwhelming, and I "can't find anything to listen to" but other times, my car or my man cave can transport me into the pit, right next to the stage and I just drive for miles, screaming at my windshield.

Regarding old favorites, that's where I'm really struggling with music. I have a LOT of old favorites. But I've become...bored, for lack of a better term. 

I really need some new stuff. Some new albums to get hooked on. And then I need the time in my grown-ass adult life to just drive around and enjoy them from beginning to end, over and over. 

Part of the reduction in enthusiasm for music is age/lack of time. I think a big part is that the music scene (and music itself) is not what it once was. I'm trying to remember the last time I heard a new song that really made me sit up and take notice. (Actually, it may have been "Bad Romance" by GaGa.)

I listen to old Genesis albums (when Gabriel was still with the band) and the complexity of the songs is amazing. I listen to (most of) today's music and it does not have the same depth.

Here, let me help: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24305-get-off-my-lawn-the-over-50-thread/page-4?do=findComment&comment=854205

:nana:

See I don't stream while I drive because of data usage reasons. So I can't do that. I have to have the music on my phone or SD card, which means that music has to get on there somehow. And as above, there's a distinct tactile issue with using my infotainment center vs the old days of just flipping CDs in and out. 

I'm not streaming- if i download a playlist for offline use, the only data usage is scrobbling info as to what i listened to, and I can turn that off as well. 

I accidentally was streaming at one point, and yea... that'll use up your data lickety split  :doh:

I also just stick stuff on my itunes. I've even entertained the idea of digging up my ipod nano and just using that, since that's the only reason i have my phone on in the car. 

I'm not streaming- if i download a playlist for offline use, the only data usage is scrobbling info as to what i listened to, and I can turn that off as well.

I accidentally was streaming at one point, and yea... that'll use up your data lickety split :doh:

I also just stick stuff on my itunes. I've even entertained the idea of digging up my ipod nano and just using that, since that's the only reason i have my phone on in the car.

The hard part with that music is that you don't really "own" it. So if your digital, I guess "lease", gets screwed up, you end up having repurchase music you already bought.

Dream Theater is nuts.

Music ... Went all in digital about 10 years ago. Apple and iTunes. Best way for me to share with a digital family and respect artists' rights.

Occasionally fiddle with Spotify and Pandora. Recently tried Amazon Prime. Watch that one, Apple ... It's a comer.

When I lose a dog I bury them in the back yard and plant a tree on them. When I sit on the deck at night looking at the trees I think of many fond memories of them. Plus the process of burying them and planting the tree helps bring me closure. Just a thought...

Sorry Swamp.

This is a great idea Hank.

Well, that was way harder than I expected. To think a 4 lb little nothin' could turn a 200+ grown assed man into a blubbering idiot just shows you what a big personality she had.

Rest in peace, we will miss you.

post-1429-0-98080800-1472172959_thumb.jpg

Well, that was way harder than I expected. To think a 4 lb little nothin' could turn a 200+ grown assed man into a blubbering idiot just shows you what a big personality she had.

attachicon.gifXena.jpg

Condolences ...

Xena.jpg

I am sorry for you. I surmise from reading your posts over the years that you're the sort that has an empathetic nature. Love is love no matter what living being we share that bond with. I'm from that same fabric. I've lost two since last Nov. and I still hear their voices in my house. One comes in my dreams every so often and I have this overwhelming feeling that they aren't gone at all. They're somewhere safe and wonderful waiting for my day.

Work has become burdensome. Earlier this year I boasted how I really liked what I do. Most of that sentiment is gone. It's been 17 long years and it seems like the writing is on the wall.

The company is run by the nephew of the owner. He has carte blanche with no experience running a business or in the industry. We have ridiculously antiquated equipment that we are asked to get "world class" production out of. The machines can't do it. So we throw bodies at the issues trying to inspect our way to a quality product. Thats no way to run a business.

The owner won't invest in the machinery we need because no one can demonstrate a quick enough ROI. My job has come under fire because as the quality manager I'm the bullseye for the quality issues we produce. We are below industry standards for defect rates despite having inferior equipment, horrendously designed packaging that only a fool would try and use, about 400 different products some of which we run one day a year, and personnel that are completely uninterested in anything concerning work.

I'm also seriously underpaid for my position. Most quality managers in companies this size make 50-100% more than I make. Maybe its time to move on before they make that decision for me.

Edited by inkman

attachicon.gifXena.jpg

Sorry, man. No shame in what you're feeling. I've cried for days for my cats.