Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

You say that, but I'm not so sure southerners know what they're doing. A friend of mine from high school, a transplant to Blacksburg, VA, was posting pictures of the shelves at her grocery store. Cleaned out, except for all the fresh bread in the bakery and a depressingly large amount of SPAM. It's as if everyone went to the store and bought nothing that is actually useful in an emergency.

I just saw a picture of a Target in Reston, VA - shelves are almost completely empty. It's amazing.

Most don't know what they're doing, but some do - once snow/ice is forecasted, the schools close, businesses tell everyone to work from home, and everything shuts down. They just don't have the snow & ice that the Northeast gets, so they're not used to it. It's almost as if the smart thing to do is to close the cities.

My wife is in NC right now (near Winston-Salem) and she has a flight from Charlotte to Albany tomorrow afternoon. She decided this morning to drive to Charlotte tonight so she won't have to deal with the drive during the mess tomorrow. Whether or not the flight gets out could be another story.

French toast is what people in the south apparently desire during a weather emergency. Bread, milk and eggs are always cleaned out.

I'll be working from home tomorrow (regardless of the weather) and the wife probably gets the day off from school.  I figure I'll venture out somewhere with her for lunch.  We should be the only ones there.

I'll be working from home tomorrow (regardless of the weather) and the wife probably gets the day off from school.  I figure I'll venture out somewhere with her for lunch.  We should be the only ones there.

If she works for Wake county I'll put the over/under at 7 PM tonight for when they cancel school tomorrow, that of course being well before any actual precipitation of any kind is expected to fall.

I still get pissed at the thought of all the mornings I spent next to the radio as a kid looking out the window at a foot or more of snow and listening to the school closings.  Gowanda Central.......Holland Central... Hey Stan Roberts where the is Hamburg Central?

If she works for Wake county I'll put the over/under at 7 PM tonight for when they cancel school tomorrow, that of course being well before any actual precipitation of any kind is expected to fall.

I still get pissed at the thought of all the mornings I spent next to the radio as a kid looking out the window at a foot or more of snow and listening to the school closings.  Gowanda Central.......Holland Central... Hey Stan Roberts where the ###### is Hamburg Central?

I can't even imagine how that radio routine was in a larger city.  In Boston, I think it took about 10 minutes for the ticker on the bottom of the news screen to go all the way through the alphabet.

I can't even imagine how that radio routine was in a larger city.  In Boston, I think it took about 10 minutes for the ticker on the bottom of the news screen to go all the way through the alphabet.

I always hated it when I was a kid watching the news in the morning since I went to Sweet Home HS, conveniently located alphabetically directly after 1,000 'St. Blah Blah' catholic schools. It was infuriating and I would miss hearing my school all the time cause I would stop paying attention.

I always hated it when I was a kid watching the news in the morning since I went to Sweet Home HS, conveniently located alphabetically directly after 1,000 'St. Blah Blah' catholic schools. It was infuriating and I would miss hearing my school all the time cause I would stop paying attention.

I'm not sure exactly when it started becoming readily available on TV, but I had CVs radio only routine up until right around when I started high school.  Going to St. Francis, the closing game was great though.  We were linked to something like 5 different districts.  If any of them closed, we were closed.  It really didn't matter where in the alphabet you were when you tuned in, one of those districts was just seconds away.

Last week one of our two garage door openers, on my wife's side, started opening and closing on its own for a couple days. There was nobody doing drivebys who might have been doing it, and it wasn't the neighbors. It was about 20 years old so I figured it was time to replace. I put them up originally, but given the cold weather I figured I'd get the new one installed. Went to Lowes to buy it, and they advertised installation for $120. When I asked about it, the guy said they'd first have to come out for $35 and see if it could be installed. I told them I had one, there's nothing to check. He said it was the rule. So I told him I'd like to schedule for the next week. He said they had a backlog and it would be 3 weeks. I said forget it, and did it with my son last weekend before he goes back to college.

So on Tuesday as I was leaving for work I closed the door on my side, and it stopped halfway. I crawled under and found the screw driive shaft (Genie) had broken apart. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet to see if I can fix or have to do another replacement. What are the odds both would go bad at the same time, given I replaced mine about 10 years ago.

Last week one of our two garage door openers, on my wife's side, started opening and closing on its own for a couple days. There was nobody doing drivebys who might have been doing it, and it wasn't the neighbors. It was about 20 years old so I figured it was time to replace. I put them up originally, but given the cold weather I figured I'd get the new one installed. Went to Lowes to buy it, and they advertised installation for $120. When I asked about it, the guy said they'd first have to come out for $35 and see if it could be installed. I told them I had one, there's nothing to check. He said it was the rule. So I told him I'd like to schedule for the next week. He said they had a backlog and it would be 3 weeks. I said forget it, and did it with my son last weekend before he goes back to college.

So on Tuesday as I was leaving for work I closed the door on my side, and it stopped halfway. I crawled under and found the screw driive shaft (Genie) had broken apart. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet to see if I can fix or have to do another replacement. What are the odds both would go bad at the same time, given I replaced mine about 10 years ago.

Apparently, pretty much 1:1. ;)

If you can find any place that's open.

Edited by Eleven

This is lame in the grand scheme of things, but I'm feeling whiny so I'm just gonna roll with it.

- I'm effing exhausted.  My mom is staying with me for a week, and I love her but she's the kind of person who wakes up naturally at 5am and works 6:30am-3:30pm, whereas I typically get up around 7am and work 10am-6:30pm.  I'm attempting to shift my schedule back so she's not just sitting around my apartment all day waiting for me to get home (she can work from anywhere), but I'm still going to bed late and getting up heinously early, and I still don't get home until 5:45pm or so.  I wish to God I could sleep in this weekend but Sat. is when we'll finally have time to go see the mountains so I know we'll be up early again.  4-5 hours of sleep is leaving me dopey.

- After doing really well in Dec., I kind of fell off the wagon on my exercise and healthier eating in Jan.  I'm still exercising but not as regularly (and it's even harder to do now with my mom staying there), and my food intake has been terrible between traveling and hosting company.  I can't wait to reboot next week and try to get back to a routine again.

- The chick at work has been mostly tolerable the last week and a half, but I don't trust that it'll last and the work is still menial and boring.  It's getting old always having to go ask her what she wants me to work on because she won't tell me more than a small part of the project at a time and I've been yelled at in the past for doing things without asking for permission.  I know we have a ton to do, but I don't have enough information to start most of it, and she hasn't bothered to reply to my question from yesterday evening.  Ugh.

Edited by biodork

Can you salvage the parts from the old one for the new, or did you just replace the motor on the randomly up-down one?

Living in Virginia, where it snows infrequently enough that everyone loses their , but frequently enough that everyone should know better, is hilarious. I can confirm the post-apocalyptic states of all local grocery stores. My locality will do alright keeping the streets in order, but there may be a three foot wall of snow waiting for me at the city line. Ugh.

At least I just got done with the work week and am off until Monday night. Plenty of time to stay indoors with a four-year old. Uh oh....

Can you salvage the parts from the old one for the new, or did you just replace the motor on the randomly up-down one?

I replaced the whole thing, so I might be able to get parts off the older one. But it's a different model so I'm not sure they'll be comparable.