Complaint Thursdays

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

LabattBlue

Not a complaint, but an amusement.

Post storm update.

They brought a front end loader down our street and scooped up five feet of snow and dumped it on my sidewalks.  Since I live on a corner lot. they dumped it all the way around completely burying my sidewalks until spring.  My front yard looks like a supermarket parking lot with 12 feet mounds of snow.  Not sure why I was gifted both sides of the streets snow, but I seem to have gotten it all.

The street looks great though!

Edited by wjag

Post storm update.

They brought a front end loader down our street and scooped up five feet of snow and dumped it on my sidewalks.  Since I live on a corner lot. they dumped it all the way around completely burying my sidewalks until spring.  My front yard looks like a supermarket parking lot with 12 feet mounds of snow.  Not sure why I was gifted both sides of the streets snow, but I seem to have gotten it all.

You should hope that it doesn't cause flooding issues in your basement when it all starts to melt.

Post storm update.

I'm confused by this: after the first emergency plowing, you mean they came back to clean up the piles of snow that were out in the middle of the street to make it somewhat normal for cars? I'm completely confused by this.

I'm confused by this: after the first emergency plowing, you mean they came back to clean up the piles of snow that were out in the middle of the street to make it somewhat normal for cars? I'm completely confused by this.

Yep, they cleared us right to the curb, both sides.  Pretty impressive amount of snow..  We were down to one plowed path with large swaths of snow on each side with hopelessly buried cars.  Guy came in with a monster loader and delicately cleaned out around all cars too.  He had to have nerves of steel.  He did a beautiful job.  That man was a maestro with that machine.  Nice to appreciate a man good at his craft,

Edited by wjag

Yep, they cleared us right to the curb, both sides. Pretty impressive amount of snow.. We were down to one plowed path with large swaths of snow on each side with hopelessly buried cars. Guy came in with a monster loader and delicately cleaned out around all cars too. He had to have nerves of steel. He did a beautiful job. That man was a maestro with that machine. Nice to appreciate a man good at his craft,

You suck. :) other than the appropriate amount of melt, my street still looks like this. The only part that was plowed was the single center lane. The Subaru-shaped spot is after I moved my car and cleaned out my space.

post-1315-0-27086000-1454007540_thumb.jpg

Edited by MattPie

Watching my best friend at work get raked over the coals by a project manager. She stood up for herself, and long story short, sexism reared its ugly head. She was given the position of lead developer on this major project by the head bosses. It is a very male themed project traditionally, and from day one she's been treated like crap by this pm, being informed that her opinion isn't that useful since she doesn't understand "games geared towards guys". We're blessed to work in a game studio that has a lot of women and forward thinking people in general. This sort of attitude is unheard of in our office.

Since the prototyping of this game with the client, it was agreed to have a male and a female character. He's delayed the female char the entire 4 months thus far, despite having models and art and mocap (done by yours truly) available, and an enthusiastic crew. Now the game is nearing completion and he's trying to get rid of it period, throwing every excuse in the book. My friend is fighting tooth and nail to keep it in. It's a small thing effort wise, it really is. But it means a lot to those of us who play/make games.

Everyone else on the project is on her side. They're offering to do more overtime to make it happen. I'm powerless to do anything but listen and calm her down when it reaches critical b.s. levels. It sickens me. I've had it happen to some extent on other games (I generally request the male themed games. I love me some Power Rangers and TMNT) but never like this. Usually the pm's and higher ups go out of their way to promote female characters/equality. 

A company of our kind, creativity fueling each project, cannot stand if it becomes a toxic environment where disagreeing is treated as treason. And no professional should result to name calling. 

Group projects. Nothing like paying thousands of dollars for an education only to be evaluated by the work of others. And if you give me a huge project, it's helpful if I write the damn thing. It does absolutely nothing for me to learn jack-###### if you give me all of your code and have me change x to y. 

And wedding shopping. I'm not even the one getting married FFS. 6 hours buying suits, and now I have to drag myself 45m after a 9 hour shift Saturday to shop for the matching shirt. Unbelievable 

Edited by WildCard

Group projects. Nothing like paying thousands of dollars for an education only to be evaluated by the work of others. And if you give me a huge project, it's helpful if I write the damn thing. It does absolutely nothing for me to learn jack-###### if you give me all of your code and have me change x to y. 

And wedding shopping. I'm not even the one getting married FFS. 6 hours buying suites, and now I have to drag myself 45m after a 9 hour shift Saturday to shop for the matching shirt. Unbelievable 

I didn't spend that much time shopping for my own wedding.

So you're complaining about college preparing you for the real world? :p

And wedding shopping. I'm not even the one getting married FFS. 6 hours buying suites, and now I have to drag myself 45m after a 9 hour shift Saturday to shop for the matching shirt. Unbelievable 

The more I'm in weddings, the more I'm around weddings, the more I want to elope or have a tiny one. Some good beers, a pretty dress, some freakin' pulled pork and bourbon, and people we like. Like, all 30 of them. 

My complaint started as an awesome. Was asked if I wanted to be lead animator on a major project. Said I was a little nervous but I'd give it a shot. Figured they meant in the animation program we've used for the last 10 years.

Nope, brand new program I've never opened. Which I have to learn, on the effing fly, immediately, or risk failing and looking like an ass. 

Thanks. Wasn't part of the deal or I would've said no.

My company is incredibly cliquey/immature- the main animator dude pretty much let me know that he believes only he, the one animator (actually trained), and his friend are capable of decent animation and I suck. So this'll just prove him right. 

Kill me. Like I needed more goddamn stress and chances to look like a talentless hack. I hate this place. Sure sure, it's a test, you can do it, blah blah 

The more I'm in weddings, the more I'm around weddings, the more I want to elope or have a tiny one. Some good beers, a pretty dress, some freakin' pulled pork and bourbon, and people we like. Like, all 30 of them. 

My complaint started as an awesome. Was asked if I wanted to be lead animator on a major project. Said I was a little nervous but I'd give it a shot. Figured they meant in the animation program we've used for the last 10 years.

Nope, brand new program I've never opened. Which I have to learn, on the effing fly, immediately, or risk failing and looking like an ass. 

Thanks. Wasn't part of the deal or I would've said no.

My company is incredibly cliquey/immature- the main animator dude pretty much let me know that he believes only he, the one animator (actually trained), and his friend are capable of decent animation and I suck. So this'll just prove him right. 

Kill me. Like I needed more goddamn stress and chances to look like a talentless hack. I hate this place. Sure sure, it's a test, you can do it, blah blah 

That sounds terrible, sorry about that. I've had something similar, where I was thrown a project in a language I literally knew nothing about, with no guide book or comments to help me decide it. Luckily it was a bs internship so I just stared at the screen and hung out with my boss all day. I still miss that job