Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Going from 4 weeks of vacation at my previous job to 2 weeks here (on balance I am very happy with my new job, this is my only complaint) I haven't worked the wednesday before thanksgiving ever in my entire life. When I pulled into the parking lot this morning, I found out that no one else works the wednesday before thanksgiving either.

Going from 4 weeks of vacation at my previous job to 2 weeks here (on balance I am very happy with my new job, this is my only complaint) I haven't worked the wednesday before thanksgiving ever in my entire life. When I pulled into the parking lot this morning, I found out that no one else works the wednesday before thanksgiving either.

i'm here at work as well today. The parking lot is very sparse today, and if I stay much past 1 pm I'll be the only one here for sure.

My brilliant employers decided to implement a new inventory system right at the start of the busy holiday season. The system, while making things easier, has also made them about twice as slow. We've been working 10-12 hour days since last Monday. Tomorrow will be my first day off in 10 days. I guess I'll just sleep through Thanksgiving.

Overtime is nice but this is just...poor planning.

My brilliant employers decided to implement a new inventory system right at the start of the busy holiday season. The system, while making things easier, has also made them about twice as slow. We've been working 10-12 hour days since last Monday. Tomorrow will be my first day off in 10 days. I guess I'll just sleep through Thanksgiving.

Overtime is nice but this is just...poor planning.

you'd been fussing about being without now you have one and you still fuss,,,,,,hmmmmm

you'd been fussing about being without now you have one and you still fuss,,,,,,hmmmmm

In his defense, it *is* a complaint thread, and there is nothing of note going on elswhere on the board.

As for me, I'm going to induce stress via not complaining on the day before Thanksgiving. :)

so me being recently financially independent forgot about my student loan until after I payed extra money on my CC... meaning I have no money for the next week outside of food money. This sucks because there is a big weekend plan as some ppl will be coming into town for the last football game... grrr my absent mindedness

Seeing a great, jaw dropping price on a tv and then finding out the tv has been "refurbished." Talk about going from woo hoo to sob.

Most times, doesn't "refurbished" just mean that someone else opened the box first, realized they couldn't afford it, and then took it back. It doesn't necessarily mean that it was broken and then fixed. If all the parts are there and the warranty is the same, I say get it.

Seeing a great, jaw dropping price on a tv and then finding out the tv has been "refurbished." Talk about going from woo hoo to sob.

I got a 47" led for 600 bucks and its an LG and I love it. Not sure if thats a good deal but good luck and Black Death Friday will have good tv deals

This is a lame complaint, but last night I ordered a pair of shoes that were marked down from $65 to $25.50 thinking I'd gotten a great deal, only to see this morning they're now selling them for $17! Blargh.

And my stinky, gross co-worker who is entirely ill-suited to life as a research scientist for a whole host of reasons has a new one to add to the list: he's apparently so stressed by his time here in graduate school that he's taking anxiety medications and started crying yesterday when the boss sat him down (again) to try and make him understand he's looking at a 10 year plan with his current rate of productivity. Really, MF'er? You "work" from 9-5 Mon-Fri, during which you disappear for long blocks of time and spend large amounts of the time you are around surfing gaming websites. You rarely work weekends, which is generally expected of graduate students, and after 3 1/2 years in the lab are still unable to design a competent experiment or think for yourself about how to analyze your results. Our boss is pretty much the nicest guy ever, and has been far more patient with you than your work ethic and technical skills justify. And somehow you're so incredibly distraught that you're on medication? Newsflash: this line of work doesn't get any easier after graduate school, idiot. In fact, you've got it pretty damn cushy right now, and if this is already too much to handle you really need to either put on your big boy pants or leave and do something else (preferably the latter).

It's always a double edged sword. Not having a job sucks because you feel listless and the bills stack up. Swinging back the other way and working too much sucks because you have no time or energy to do the stuff you need to do outside of work, like graduate school work, and spending time with loves ones.

So yeah, I'm gonna complain real nice about it. :P

Edited by d4rksabre

Large chain stores that open on Thanksgiving to start the mad dash to buy crap from China. People should be able to enjoy Thanksgiving. It makes me want to puke.

Large chain stores that open on Thanksgiving to start the mad dash to buy crap from China. People should be able to enjoy Thanksgiving. It makes me want to puke.

Retail employees have been working on Thanksgiving for years. The shelves and special merchandising paraphernalia don't set themselves up magically on Friday. The only change here is all the people still drunk from football and dinner driving to stores and the normal belligerency being augmented by the remaining blood-alcohol content. But these people are ruining their Thanksgiving voluntarily.

Popular demand huh?

Anyway, I found out yesterday that I apparently have a cat allergy. How did it take 31 years to figure this out?

And also, I hate it when you're walking towards two people in a path that is only wide enough to hold two people, yet they refuse to stop walking side by side. Sorry buddy, but when you wind up with a shoulder in the face, it's not my fault.

This is a lame complaint, but last night I ordered a pair of shoes that were marked down from $65 to $25.50 thinking I'd gotten a great deal, only to see this morning they're now selling them for $17! Blargh.

And my stinky, gross co-worker who is entirely ill-suited to life as a research scientist for a whole host of reasons has a new one to add to the list: he's apparently so stressed by his time here in graduate school that he's taking anxiety medications and started crying yesterday when the boss sat him down (again) to try and make him understand he's looking at a 10 year plan with his current rate of productivity. Really, MF'er? You "work" from 9-5 Mon-Fri, during which you disappear for long blocks of time and spend large amounts of the time you are around surfing gaming websites. You rarely work weekends, which is generally expected of graduate students, and after 3 1/2 years in the lab are still unable to design a competent experiment or think for yourself about how to analyze your results. Our boss is pretty much the nicest guy ever, and has been far more patient with you than your work ethic and technical skills justify. And somehow you're so incredibly distraught that you're on medication? Newsflash: this line of work doesn't get any easier after graduate school, idiot. In fact, you've got it pretty damn cushy right now, and if this is already too much to handle you really need to either put on your big boy pants or leave and do something else (preferably the latter).

I feel for your situation with the lab co-worker from hell, but the bold is not necessarily the case, especially if he finds a job in industry. I work with a whole host of scientists who are woefully incompetent in the lab, and some of them thrive here usually because they play the office political game so well.

Not really a complaint (well, sort of...) There is an item I'd like to purchase at a national sporting goods chain. It was advertised two weekends ago at $379.99 (down from the "regular" price of $399.99, which is $100 off MSRP). I went to purchase it the other day and then saw that the price was now down to $349.99 through Nov. 21 (today). So, do I make a mad rush to buy it by EOB tonight or do I wait for "Black Friday" and see if it is marked down further and risk the price going back up? (I'm thinking odds are the price will drop again - this is not a super-popular item). I'm going to wait and see... If the price does go back up, I'll be back on this thread next week b!tching....

Retail employees have been working on Thanksgiving for years. The shelves and special merchandising paraphernalia don't set themselves up magically on Friday. The only change here is all the people still drunk from football and dinner driving to stores and the normal belligerency being augmented by the remaining blood-alcohol content. But these people are ruining their Thanksgiving voluntarily.

Absolutely, the workers have worked on Thanksgiving for years. I've done it (the shelves at Tops didn't stock themselves, either, and I know that I've worked on T-day in my current career), and I'll bet 95% of the board has, too, at one point in time or another.

What I hate about it is the "we'll sell you this TV, that you normally couldn't afford or wouldn't buy, at a low, low price, if you just sacrifice your dignity and some of your family's holiday for us" aspect of it. Bow to your retail overlords! I don't think so.

Edited by Eleven

Absolutely, the workers have worked on Thanksgiving for years. I've done it (the shelves at Tops didn't stock themselves, either, and I know that I've worked on T-day in my current career), and I'll bet 95% of the board has, too, at one point in time or another.

What I hate about it is the "we'll sell you this TV, that you normally couldn't afford or wouldn't buy, at a low, low price, if you just sacrifice your dignity and some of your family's holiday for us" aspect of it. Bow to your retail overlords! I don't think so.

Especially since we now have, you know, factual information, telling us the deals actually aren't any better than later in the season.

I am the 5%.... Never thought about it until just now..

I feel for your situation with the lab co-worker from hell, but the bold is not necessarily the case, especially if he finds a job in industry. I work with a whole host of scientists who are woefully incompetent in the lab, and some of them thrive here usually because they play the office political game so well.

Yeah, we shall see... I think the only reason he's stuck around so long is he's one of those people who does well in class and can give a good presentation, but has absolutely zero practical sense. Dude still shows up to lab meeting with four Excel spreadsheets in teeny font with columns of data calculations rather than showing us 1-2 graphs with the actual useful portion of the data because he couldn't figure out how to plot it. Embarrassing. He doesn't even deserve a Master's degree given that he's utterly incapable of thinking for himself and working autonomously, but even if his thesis committee finally decides to push him out, I'm guessing he'll get one as a consolation prize. People are way too lenient around here.