Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

COBRA.

We recieved the updated health insurance rates for this comoing year. The lowest price policy, a high deductible HSA plan with a $2400 deductible to be met each year is going to cost me out of pocket a whopping $762/month once I'm done at work on Jan 5. :blink:

There are a couple subsidized plans that I'll be eyeballing in the next couple of weeks.

I pay more than that without COBRA. Single coverage, too. Lower deductible, though.

Health insurance is ######.

Still hate government health care? Because it seems to work for my older relatives just fine.

And I'm still rooting for you finding something before January 5.

Edited by Eleven

I pay more than that without COBRA. Single coverage, too. Lower deductible, though.

Health insurance is ######.

Still hate government health care? Because it seems to work for my older relatives just fine.

And I'm still rooting for you finding something before January 5.

I'm finding it hard to believe that a $90/month increase over last year isn't speculative based on the unknowns of further phasing in of "Obamacare". Makes me stabby thinking about it.

As for my employment situation, I have a few irons in the fire. Been on several interviews in the last week with a couple more scheduled. Employment on Jan 6 is not out of question.

Dammit. Just caught up on the last 4 pages of the CBA thread and now it's like I have blue balls.

OK, new complaint. I have to concentrate hard to avoid a mental image of Bio as something she is not.

Yeah, what's going on, here?

Haha -- well was going to offer to change the mental image for weave, but perhaps best to stick with the cartoon test tube, lol.

Wait......

OK, whole new bitch. I'm aiming this one squarely at New York State. If you want an eye opener try this exercize yourself.

ehealthinsurance.com is a pretty good site for shopping insurance rates. You select the product you are looking for (individual/family/short term, etc), select your zip code, add age and smoker status and it searches for policies and rates.

In my zip code it found 3 policies that matched what I was looking for. 2 of those policies were HealthyNY plans for self employed workers. the 3rd policy was $1568/month!! Holy crap!!

So, for poops and giggles I put in the same data but used a Pittsburgh, PA zipcode. Prices ranged from a low of $355 to $442 per month. What the ###### is NY doing regulation-wise that health insurance is so much more expensive here? Seriously.

Holy crap, that's insane! Is it really a NY thing, or something about your area specifically? I could understand rates being higher in a big city or something (not that Pittsburgh isn't), but that's outrageous.

I don't know. All I know is health insurance is gonna bleed me dry in a short time here.

Still blows my mind that the group plan at work is going up $90/month over last year. Damn.

Weave, I just did the same search, my ZIP code, and came back with a rate just slightly lower than what I actually pay. Again, single coverage. Exorbitant.

I don't know why NYS is more expensive than Pennsylvania, but I can guess: extremely plaintiff-friendly medical malpractice laws that drive up providers' costs, and, in turn, the patients' costs. Again, just a guess.

Edited by Eleven

Weave, I just did the same search, my ZIP code, and came back with a rate just slightly lower than what I actually pay. Again, single coverage. Exorbitant.

I don't know why NYS is more expensive than Pennsylvania, but I can guess: extremely plaintiff-friendly medical malpractice laws that drive up providers' costs, and, in turn, the patients' costs. Again, just a guess.

Cuomo has done some good things (gat dam that hurt to say, I couldn't stand his old man). But if he really wants this state to turn things around he's going to have to address the reasons why utilities are more expensive here, gasoline is more expensive here, insurance is more expensive here. All of those items affect the bottom lines of the people and businesses here and serve to reduce our disposable incomes considerably.

Cuomo has done some good things (gat dam that hurt to say, I couldn't stand his old man). But if he really wants this state to turn things around he's going to have to address the reasons why utilities are more expensive here, gasoline is more expensive here, insurance is more expensive here. All of those items affect the bottom lines of the people and businesses here and serve to reduce our disposable incomes considerably.

Yep.

And you can blame the old man for the malpractice laws, IIRC.

COBRA.

We recieved the updated health insurance rates for this comoing year. The lowest price policy, a high deductible HSA plan with a $2400 deductible to be met each year is going to cost me out of pocket a whopping $762/month once I'm done at work on Jan 5. :blink:

There are a couple subsidized plans that I'll be eyeballing in the next couple of weeks.

Cobra is retroactive 90 days. Meaning u can Not pay for coverage and if something happens that is more than the back premiums u pay you pay the premiums and are covered. It's a risk for 90 days but could pay off.