Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

You still won't be disappointed in me when I'm 65, sweetie.

Luckily for whom? We're going to check with Mrs. Korab on this.

A little deodorant, smooth the hair and I'm good to go! I've got nothing against rocking out with my ###### out, but I prefer to do it in mixed company.

Cher is listed, which immediately cancels out any value that list has.

Yeah, that was a little disturbing.

Can you get pics?

does she have a facebook page?

I'm po'd the Sabre fan appreciation day is tomorrow and not the last home game. I know why they did it but it sucks I won't be there for it. Gotta plan better next year.

They probably should determine what game it will be at the beginning of the season. Probably should have been the Minny game as you will still have a good number of Pens fans coming to the game.

I hope this isn't too serious, but here goes: my complaint is that good people can be struck out of the blue by a life-altering tragedy. My family is friends with another family in our neighborhood. Their kids attend the same school as our kids, and one of their sons is close friends with my son. We're not super-close with this family, but we've known them for 7-8 years, seen them socially a few times now and then (including hanging out and watching a Sabres-Bruins playoff game a couple of years ago) and regard them as friends. The school is on spring break now, so many families naturally take vacations. This family went to a Caribbean island. Last Sunday (i.e. 4 days ago), the family was at the beach and the father was swimming with one of the boys (they have 4 sons in their family). A motorboat comes flying into the area where they are swimming, hits the father, chews him up in the propeller, and just like that, the father is killed -- right there in front of his horrified family. I wasn't really close with him, but I considered him a friend and respected him. He was a really good guy. Solid as a f----- rock. The kind of guy who would come and get you in the middle of the night if your car broke down. He was 44 and a totally devoted father -- he coached his kids' teams, etc. And they had a really nice family. Now his 4 sons (ages 14, 12, 10 and 8) have to grow up without a father because of some reckless idiot with a motorboat. It's heartbreaking.

Horrible. This was my "complaint" a few weeks ago when three young fathers I know all dropped dead in their late 30's or early 40's within a one month time frame. All left behind young families. It's just brutal and beyond comprehension. So sad and tragic.

I guess 2 questions you need to ask yourself are: How close are you to being done? and Do you have to finish it for your career?

I can totally sympathize with the struggles though. I find that those who haven't gone through graduate school simply don't understand what it entails and it's really hard to talk to anybody who hasn't gone through it. Even if you enjoy what you're doing (and I do), there's just a lot of times where it just isn't enjoyable. Even during Sabres games I think to myself "man I should really be doing some work right now". Big props to your girlfriend for dealing with you though, it's certainly not easy to do--among other things, one of the contributing factors to me and my girlfriend of 4 years breaking up was the pursuit of my degree.

B.S. = Bullsh!t

M.S. = More Sh!t

PhD = Piled higher and deeper

also I totally sympathize with that last sentiment... sorry man. :(

Not to ruin anyones day..but i must be one of those "old people" LOL. (You all should thank yourselves you have not met me and do not have that visual burned into your brains) I am 49 and just used to guys being naked in the locker room. I mean i can see if you are lounging around and all, but i never understood hanging out in a locker room. Go in, get my shower, get out. Maybe a shave, brush teeth, deodorant ...done.

It's not just old guys. I played baseball in high school and one of my teammates would always take dumps in the door-less stall and try to carry on conversations with the rest of us while doing so.

It's not just old guys. I played baseball in high school and one of my teammates would always take dumps in the door-less stall and try to carry on conversations with the rest of us while doing so.

Neither Locker room in high school and college had stalls, got used to doing your bidness in the wide open.

Edited by plenzmd1

Neither Locker room in high school and college had stalls, got used to doing your bidness in the wide open.

Don't know if this practice still goes on in WNY high schools, but back in my day(mid 70's), during gym class the boys always swam naked. Looking back, WTF was that all about. :blink:

Edited by LabattBlue

your list is voided based upon one entry: cher.

No idea what this is about, just making a comment based to the link.

I am still in love with Catherine Deneuve. Watch her in 'Belle du Jour' & 'Repulsion.' More recently 'The Christmas Tale.'

Don't understand why freaking Charlotte Rampling still enjoys getting naked in front of the camera ?????

Don't know if this practice still goes on in WNY high schools, but back in my day(mid 70's), the boys always swam naked. Looking back, WTF was that all about. :blink:

As far as I remember the swimming unit in high school is now optional, and most certainly clothed. I did hear stories from "back in the day" that swimming naked was the norm.

Glad I wasn't in high school in the 70's...

As far as I remember the swimming unit in high school is now optional, and most certainly clothed. I did hear stories from "back in the day" that swimming naked was the norm.

Glad I wasn't in high school in the 70's...

It was the norm at the Y during the Saturday morning program until the i would say 73 or so..whenever they started letting girls participate on Saturday mornings. Being 11 at the time..all we could think is they have their own damn Y..why to they have to come to ours and make us swim with suits now???

Don't know if this practice still goes on in WNY high schools, but back in my day(mid 70's), during gym class the boys always swam naked. Looking back, WTF was that all about. :blink:

I missed that by just a little bit, but I remember all of our gym teachers yelling at us when we complained about swimming that we were lucky we weren't swimming naked.

Speaking of gym class back in the day, does anyone know if they still play dodgeball in the high schools these days? They were on the verge of outlawing it when I was in school in the late 80's. Personally I loved playing it because I had a good arm and could do some damage, but man I can see how that game would seriously traumatize some kids.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I missed that by just a little bit, but I remember all of our gym teachers yelling at us when we complained about swimming that we were lucky we weren't swimming naked.

Speaking of gym class back in the day, does anyone know if they still play dodgeball in the high schools these days? They were on the verge of outlawing it when I was in school in the late 80's. Personally I loved playing it because I had a good arm and could do some damage, but man I can see how that game would seriously traumatize some kids.

Made a big comeback sinse the movie hit..my son plays every morning before school for 20 minutes..he is in 5th grade.

BTW, i went to LaSalle in the Falls..had a gym teacher there for three of my years..Vinnie Mazza if anyone remembers him. Hated being a teacher..everyday at gym was this..

white guys in gym 1 playing floor hockey

black guys in gym 2 playing hoops

"exceptions need to be cleared by me...i will be in my office rest of period..no screwups"

Edited by plenzmd1

This was how it was when my father was in school, around the same time in fact. Hell, apparently they used to make you shower in gym class too, but I know that was non-existent by the 90s. I think the swimming nude thing was always a convenience thing. It was easier to swim without trunks than to have to find somewhere to hang them to dry afterwards. I get the feeling swim trunk technology has come a long way since then.

Swim class was required at Lancaster, but you could always find a way to get out of it. I always felt bad that it was co-ed, because I think people would have enjoyed it more if it was divided up. Girls and guys alike were always embarrassed unless you were in good shape, which most of us weren't.

Touching on the topic of Dodgeball, we played it through elementary school, but it was just about outlawed in Lancaster on all levels by the late 90s. I don't know if anything has changed, but the whole "don't want people to feel excluded" thing always seemed like BS to me. I was a wussy nerd with big dumb glasses and I LOVED dodgeball.

Some people just don't know how to parent their kids, and then you end up with things like dodgeball bans.

This was how it was when my father was in school, around the same time in fact. Hell, apparently they used to make you shower in gym class too, but I know that was non-existent by the 90s. I think the swimming nude thing was always a convenience thing. It was easier to swim without trunks than to have to find somewhere to hang them to dry afterwards. I get the feeling swim trunk technology has come a long way since then.

Swim class was required at Lancaster, but you could always find a way to get out of it. I always felt bad that it was co-ed, because I think people would have enjoyed it more if it was divided up. Girls and guys alike were always embarrassed unless you were in good shape, which most of us weren't.

Touching on the topic of Dodgeball, we played it through elementary school, but it was just about outlawed in Lancaster on all levels by the late 90s. I don't know if anything has changed, but the whole "don't want people to feel excluded" thing always seemed like BS to me. I was a wussy nerd with big dumb glasses and I LOVED dodgeball.

Some people just don't know how to parent their kids, and then you end up with things like dodgeball bans.

Swim class was required for us in Dryden as well, but you only took it in middle school, not HS.

I too was one of those nerdy wusses, and I absolutely loved dodgeball. We had intermurals in high school, at a time where I was becoming less nerdy, and it was a ton of fun, even some of the teachers would play with us. (this was early 2000's, I graduated in '05).

I prefer to order from Amazon or some other online retailer, so when I am looking for a particular book I'll stop in a shopping center bookstore to see if they have it (so I can thumb through and decide if I really want to buy it.) I really hate when they don't have the book in stock, but push you to order it from them. Yeah, I want to make another trip out the mall to decide whether I want the book. If I'm going to order it sight unseen, I'd rather it come right to my house so I can drop it right back in the mall if it sucks.

What a douche! You I mean....you prefer to buy on Amazon, but you want to take a trip to the mall to dog ear their book, and then buy it from someone else...I think I just found my complaint for next Thursay! :P

What a douche! You I mean....you prefer to buy on Amazon, but you want to take a trip to the mall to dog ear their book, and then buy it from someone else...I think I just found my complaint for next Thursay! :P

Amen to that. Apparently, there is no cost to supplying samples to non-buying customers.

Amen to that. Apparently, there is no cost to supplying samples to non-buying customers.

So, you've never searched online for hours for something and then went to a store to buy it locally? Apparently, there is no cost to having an online presence.

apparently, you two aren't familiar with the "red laser" app. ;)

Edited by Chris_in_UT

Late entry today:

We're in the process of reorganizing the samples in our large lab freezer. This is largely because no one had the foresight to set it up properly when the lab started about 3 years ago, so now it's a mess and very difficult to find anything. I'm essentially in charge of it because 1) it was mostly my suggestion, 2) I've done this before and have a good idea how to do it, 3) the other two in the lab are lazy and won't do it properly, if at all. It's been taking longer than it should have because although I can set up the "infrastructure" part of it (labeling, organization, electronic records, etc), I don't know what all is in there and what should be kept vs. tossed, consolidated, etc. aside from my own samples. I moved my own and asked the other two to move their samples into a predefined place when they had time and to let me know when they were done, and my boss was going to do his separately since he had more to go through. One guy did right away, which is fine. My boss started on his earlier in the week, and had gotten at least halfway through. The other guy (who had the least to move) just did his this morning, but also decided to take it upon himself to move not only his samples, but to relabel some of the boxes and recombine things from two different shelves onto one. Newsflash, moron: they were separate for a reason!! He recombined all the stuff my boss had already gone through with all the other crap that had yet to be organized. Dammit.