Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Found a new paper last night that cited a paper of mine in their discussion section, and it happened to be from a collaborator of my former boss. Sounds good so far, except after looking at the context of the citation I saw it was both disparaging and factually incorrect on many levels. Given it was a few sentences it seems unlikely to have been an accidental citing of our paper when they mean someone else's, so that guy can go fcuk himself. Who collaborates with someone and then sh!ts all over their work? Seriously pissed off about it. And, honorable mention for today:

- went to bed at 5am and got up at 7:30am

- the above may have actually been fortunate, since my dog woke up and started crapping everywhere around 3am (would have been on the bed, ended up just being the floor)

- I have to try and find a way to give eye drops and an oral antibiotic tablet to my boyfriend's antisocial, overweight cat for the next three days while he's out of town

- way too much work lately keeping me from keeping up on SabreSpace :(

Hey Shrader,

I'm very sorry.

My mom was a teacher and when she passed a year and a half ago, it was a note like yours from one of her students that I cherish most. She loved her students and she was an awesome mom, but when she was gone it was so final it seemed. It was notes afterwords like yours that were so comforting. they said in essense that the lessons each student learned meant so much that in spirit she lived on. Don't fail to communicate to the family your feelings . It really means a lot.

Take Care,

Steve

That's the other sad part about the whole thing. I don't think he had all that much in the way of family. He really did live through that school.

Found a new paper last night that cited a paper of mine in their discussion section, and it happened to be from a collaborator of my former boss. Sounds good so far, except after looking at the context of the citation I saw it was both disparaging and factually incorrect on many levels. Given it was a few sentences it seems unlikely to have been an accidental citing of our paper when they mean someone else's, so that guy can go fcuk himself. Who collaborates with someone and then sh!ts all over their work? Seriously pissed off about it. And, honorable mention for today:

- went to bed at 5am and got up at 7:30am

- the above may have actually been fortunate, since my dog woke up and started crapping everywhere around 3am (would have been on the bed, ended up just being the floor)

- I have to try and find a way to give eye drops and an oral antibiotic tablet to my boyfriend's antisocial, overweight cat for the next three days while he's out of town

- way too much work lately keeping me from keeping up on SabreSpace :(

If you were vindictive, such as myself, you would go after that former collaborator HARD in your next paper. But hey, not everybody is like me.

If you were vindictive, such as myself, you would go after that former collaborator HARD in your next paper. But hey, not everybody is like me.

It's so much easier when you don't give a damn about any of the politics in those publications. I just do my part and then get the hell out of the way.

It's so much easier when you don't give a damn about any of the politics in those publications. I just do my part and then get the hell out of the way.

I'm personally hoping for a teaching job where I don't have to publish to get tenure. That being said, if a former colleague started shredding me, particularly if they were improperly citing my work, you're damn sure I'd go after them.

1 month ago yesterday, it took 1 female nurse, 2 male nurses, myself and two orderlies my size (6'4") to hold my 7 year old daughter down in order to give her an IV to sedate her, so she could get stitches on a pretty scary gash on her forehead. Even after giving her what would have killed a horse, she never fully went under and was still fighting during the entire stitching procedure.

We just found out today that the wound is infected and if the antibiotics don't work, we get to do the whole thing again.

Livin' the dream,.. and to add insult to injury, it looks like the Rags are going to win.

1 month ago yesterday, it took 1 female nurse, 2 male nurses, myself and two orderlies my size (6'4") to hold my 7 year old daughter down in order to give her an IV to sedate her, so she could get stitches on a pretty scary gash on her forehead. Even after giving her what would have killed a horse, she never fully went under and was still fighting during the entire stitching procedure.

We just found out today that the wound is infected and if the antibiotics don't work, we get to do the whole thing again.

Livin' the dream,.. and to add insult to injury, it looks like the Rags are going to win.

hey man look on the brightside, your daughters a fighter! aint no dude gonna break her heart i reckon. theyll be sorry. haha

I'm personally hoping for a teaching job where I don't have to publish to get tenure. That being said, if a former colleague started shredding me, particularly if they were improperly citing my work, you're damn sure I'd go after them.

How good are you at writing proposals to get funding? If you're good enough (REALLY good) then you could be on to something.

Lazy people. Bugs the hell out of me when someone is more than capable of doing a job or two that they had assigned to them, but they are too lazy to complete the tasks. Instead they procrastinate, hand it off, try to delegate, or do whatever they can to get it off their plate. Instead of wasting all that time trying to get rid of said task, JUST COMPLETE THE DAMN THING! GAH ! :wallbash:

I do not want to do your work for you...I have enough of my own!! :death:

Lazy people. Bugs the hell out of me when someone is more than capable of doing a job or two that they had assigned to them, but they are too lazy to complete the tasks. Instead they procrastinate, hand it off, try to delegate, or do whatever they can to get it off their plate. Instead of wasting all that time trying to get rid of said task, JUST COMPLETE THE DAMN THING! GAH ! :wallbash:

I do not want to do your work for you...I have enough of my own!! :death:

To go along with this, I hate the Phrase, "I'm gonna let you take the lead on this."

90% of the time what they meant to say was, "I don't want anything to do with this boring/useless/destined to fail project, but, in my head, I out rank you, so I'm going to throw this flaming bag of ###### over this imaginary fence and drop it squarely in your lap...loser."

:censored:

Also, this summer. My complaint is this summer. My weekends are filling up so fast I'm sitting here thinking that maybe I should sell my motorcycle and save myself some insurance money and put a little cash in my pocket. I'm not sure I'm going to have ANY time to ride, and that depends on if the weather is even nice. I've got 9 open weekends right now until the first week of August when I have zero free weekends until fall comes. That's about 18 possible riding days. Say half of them have bad weather, I'm back down to 9 days I can ride this summer.

I'm ready to say screw it. :(

To go along with this, I hate the Phrase, "I'm gonna let you take the lead on this."

90% of the time what they meant to say was, "I don't want anything to do with this boring/useless/destined to fail project, but, in my head, I out rank you, so I'm going to throw this flaming bag of ###### over this imaginary fence and drop it squarely in your lap...loser."

Oh man, that irks me too! I hate it when that happens :censored:

You'll learn to love that phrase as time moves along!

Reason number 5,401,299 why a career in academia appeals to me.

Also, this summer. My complaint is this summer. My weekends are filling up so fast I'm sitting here thinking that maybe I should sell my motorcycle and save myself some insurance money and put a little cash in my pocket. I'm not sure I'm going to have ANY time to ride, and that depends on if the weather is even nice. I've got 9 open weekends right now until the first week of August when I have zero free weekends until fall comes. That's about 18 possible riding days. Say half of them have bad weather, I'm back down to 9 days I can ride this summer.

I'm ready to say screw it. :(

Congratulations on planning in advance, at least. I don't know what I'm doing next weekend, let alone a few months out.

You'll learn to love that phrase as time moves along!

I don't care when my Boss or another executive uses it, but what pisses me off is when my "peers" use it. Technically I outrank all of them (based on our grade and title), but since they all have 20 additional years spent mired in mediocrity, they feel like they get to decide which projects are worth their time, and which dung piles get put on the "kid"

Reason number 5,401,299 why a career in academia appeals to me.

Congratulations on planning in advance, at least. I don't know what I'm doing next weekend, let alone a few months out.

The problem is all my friends are getting married. I'm losing three weekends in September to wedding. One in August to a bachelor weekend for the wedding I'm best man for. I go to Canada every year the weekend before that to visit friends, and the weekend after that I'm going out to NH for our yearly fishing trip. Big paintball game in July down in PA, plus various other commitments leave me swamped. At some point in there the girlfriend and I need to get to Ohio to see her parents, and it'd be nice if her and I could have a weekend to take a roadtrip somewhere.

Motorcycle just doesn't seem to fit into my plans these days. :(

Went ahead and took the bike for a ride this afternoon anyway. It was pleasant except for all the butterflys. I don't know why there's so many, but it was nonstop. My visor, knees, jacket, everything was coated in green butterfly guts when I got home. :huh:

Went ahead and took the bike for a ride this afternoon anyway. It was pleasant except for all the butterflys. I don't know why there's so many, but it was nonstop. My visor, knees, jacket, everything was coated in green butterfly guts when I got home. :huh:

I noticed that out my way too. Been that way all week. Way more than I can ever remember. Almost as if there is some sort of migration or something.

From the Things that are Awesome thread:

[sarcasm]

Reading in an industry rag that your facility is closing

[/sarcasm]

It's probably an erroneous report that was extrapolated out of some re-org news here but it would be nice to get mgt's confirmation.

My complaint is with industry reporters that don't get 2nd sources before publishing. A facility of over 400 people were on pins and needles for two days because some bozo got a story wrong and reported a facility closing when in reality it is reorganizing into a different business group.

Some women. that is my complaint. A girl I know is dating a friend of mine, and they have been together for a little over 3 years now. He is one of the nicest "nice guys" you will ever meet, and goes out of his way to help anybody and everybody. If you asked him for the shirt off his back, he would probably give it to you without hesitation. This girl that he is dating is abusing that, and treating him like ######. I hate it so much because he deserves better than that. They are both still in college, but in different parts of the state. She loves attention from guys, and has been hanging out with a ton of guys lately to fill the gap that comes with a distance relationship. She still calls Mark all the time, and asks him to do stuff for her all the time, and of course he obliges. I had to yell at him last night for being too nice. I even had my girlfriend try to give him advice. I really hope this is just a phase, because when they are home together from school, they are one of those "cute" couples and are great together. I just don't like the way she is abusing his personality.

In other news, the sun is actually shining. <- not a complaint

I'm in the process of relocating back to upstate NY, and as was anticipated, the sale of my old house in Cincinnati is taking forever. What was not anticipated, was that my Realtor would come back to me 45 days after the initial listing and say she overestimate the market value of my home and I will likely need to take a $20-$30k short sale to unload the house. On top of that, the temporary home I had found for my Beagle bailed on me (the third time this has happened) and I finally had to surrender the Family Dog to a shelter for adoption. Breaking the hearts of a Mother and 4 year old boy.