Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Stones randomly kicking up and damaging my car as I'm driving home. I drove my old car to Boston and back, to Florida and back....and nothing, not even a little scratch. Get a brand new car in July, and 8 months later a stone kicks up and leaves a nice size scratch right in the middle of my driver door. $319 of damage at least, and if the paint doesn't blend properly the entire door is going to have to be re-done which will cause me to go through my insurance and probably get nailed with a rate hike for filing a claim.

My girlfriend's father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on monday and is having surgery as we speak. So yeah, this has been a rough week. It sounds like this may be an ultra rare case where they caught it early, so hopefully he can beat the numbers on this one. The surgeon also worked on Steve Jobs, so he definitely has the best of the best here.

I've been getting the feeling lately that she's worried her family could chase me away (which will never happen) and now this happens. There's never good timing for something like this, but still, what crappy timing.

And this makes my whining about my car's paint seam extraordinarily trivial. I hope everything turns out okay.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

My girlfriend's father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on monday and is having surgery as we speak. So yeah, this has been a rough week. It sounds like this may be an ultra rare case where they caught it early, so hopefully he can beat the numbers on this one. The surgeon also worked on Steve Jobs, so he definitely has the best of the best here.

I've been getting the feeling lately that she's worried her family could chase me away (which will never happen) and now this happens. There's never good timing for something like this, but still, what crappy timing.

Here's hoping everything goes well man.

Yikes, man... I hope her dad has a successful operation and that you guys get some good news later today. She's gonna need you more than ever right now (even if she's afraid to admit it).

Every day you're shuffling.

:lol:

I'm very sorry to hear this, but as you said early detection can be the key, especially with pancreatic cancer. I know a guy who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had the Whipple surgery. That was 15 years ago and he is still alive today.

These are the kind of things I need to hear right now. Being a math guy I tend to ignore the statistical rarities, but they are in fact out there.

Yikes, man... I hope her dad has a successful operation and that you guys get some good news later today. She's gonna need you more than ever right now (even if she's afraid to admit it).

She didn't even want to call me at first when she found out. She was worried about upsetting me, well that's the least of my concerns. Her friend forced her to call me and then sat at her place with her until I could show up. I have this strange gift of always saying the right thing around her (completely opposite of me everywhere else), so hopefully I can turn that up a notch.

These are the kind of things I need to hear right now. Being a math guy I tend to ignore the statistical rarities, but they are in fact out there.

She didn't even want to call me at first when she found out. She was worried about upsetting me, well that's the least of my concerns. Her friend forced her to call me and then sat at her place with her until I could show up. I have this strange gift of always saying the right thing around her (completely opposite of me everywhere else), so hopefully I can turn that up a notch.

She is fortunate to have both you and her friend. Good luck, man...

If I don't "maintain" my eyebrows regularly in a short period of time I end up looking like Ernest Borgnine with a unibrow. Consequently, I trim my eyebrows about every 2-3 weeks. Last night after the hockey game I got out the beard trimmer to hack at the caterpillars and in my haste I forgot to set the guard for length. And I promptly shaved off half of my left eyebrow. I figure it'll be noticeable for about 2 weeks.

I have to interview a candidate for a new position this afternoon. I expect he'll be fixated on the area above my left eye for most of the interview.

Stones randomly kicking up and damaging my car as I'm driving home. I drove my old car to Boston and back, to Florida and back....and nothing, not even a little scratch. Get a brand new car in July, and 8 months later a stone kicks up and leaves a nice size scratch right in the middle of my driver door. $319 of damage at least, and if the paint doesn't blend properly the entire door is going to have to be re-done which will cause me to go through my insurance and probably get nailed with a rate hike for filing a claim.

As long as you keep the claim under $2.000 I don't think it affects your insurance rate.

If I don't "maintain" my eyebrows regularly in a short period of time I end up looking like Ernest Borgnine with a unibrow. Consequently, I trim my eyebrows about every 2-3 weeks. Last night after the hockey game I got out the beard trimmer to hack at the caterpillars and in my haste I forgot to set the guard for length. And I promptly shaved off half of my left eyebrow. I figure it'll be noticeable for about 2 weeks.

I have to interview a candidate for a new position this afternoon. I expect he'll be fixated on the area above my left eye for most of the interview.

ROFLMAO

Spectacular! unibrow-emoticon.gif !

• Like (+1) 1

Prayers goin' your way man. Just be there to listen, you don't need to say much.

:o :lol:

You're going for that gang sign with the shaved notches in your eyebrows, aren't you?

if anything, this will show her family how much she means to you, and by extension how much they mean to you. it's a sucky way of showing how much you care, but if there is ANY positive to pull from this, well ... there it is.

as for "catching it early," that is absolutely fantastic. please let us know how the surgery goes. many prayers and thoughts coming your way, man.

As long as you keep the claim under $2.000 I don't think it affects your insurance rate.

ROFLMAO

Spectacular! unibrow-emoticon.gif !

:o :lol:

STOP STARING AND LAUGHING !!!!!

You're going for that gang sign with the shaved notches in your eyebrows, aren't you?

Now that might be a creative fix.

I'm probably the only one who won't laugh at you here. I've got what you just described going on permanently. Of course I've also got an F-ed up left eye and a nasty scar to go along with it, but still the question I get most often is: Hey, what happened to your eyebrow? :lol:

Eating some blood orange Chobani yogurt with lunch, and although the flavor is good, the texture of lots of tiny orange bits makes it feel like I'm eating yogurt that has curdled. :sick:

think of it as orange-flavored tapioca! :)

hmm. that's probably not helpful, is it?

someone microwaved canned green beans. it absolutely reeks around here.

seriously. who *does* that? it's just mean.

think of it as orange-flavored tapioca! :)

hmm. that's probably not helpful, is it?

someone microwaved canned green beans. it absolutely reeks around here.

seriously. who *does* that? it's just mean.

That's weird; I never thought of canned green beans as having a strong smell when cooked. Could be worse, man... steamed broccoli or cauliflower, burnt popcorn, and bacon all come to mind.