Kevyn and Don, should we really expect more after four years?

tom webster

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

I don’t buy the whole approach of comparing the Sabres to bottom dwellers.

Boston has spent over $8M on goalies each of the last four seasons as well (and more previously with Rask's contract). And they spend that money on fewer rostered goalies because they don't sign several tweeners, but focus their money on legitimate NHLers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, kas23 said:

Been thinking about this thread for days. I don’t buy the whole approach of comparing the Sabres to bottom dwellers. True, they all have losing in common. But there’s fundamental flaws in most of these teams. There are teams out there, no matter what they do, and they will still lose. Some say they are “cursed” or ownership or whatever. Who knows. But these are certainly not the teams we should use as a yardstick for progress. If an “educated” opinion believes they are, they prove they are likely part of the problem, not the solution. As such, their opinion should be ignored. 

Please share the fundamental flaws of the Sabers and fix them already.  You would make every fan happy!

I compare the Sabers to the Bruins, we still suck.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Is that really true ? I thought buffalo offered more then boston 

Yes Ullmark said in an interview with SN it was time to move from Buffalo for his own well being as he was alone in WNY when His Father passed.

10 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

No.  It’s not true.  Linus simply says “ it was time to leave Buffalo”.  Meaning, he wanted out, and money wasn’t going to change that.  

If this organization does not make more effort to improve, more players will do the same.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It wasn't 1 for 1

According to an article about Ullmark; his father's death was a significant factor in leaving Buffalo because he wanted a new start.

17 hours ago, kas23 said:

Been thinking about this thread for days. I don’t buy the whole approach of comparing the Sabres to bottom dwellers. True, they all have losing in common. But there’s fundamental flaws in most of these teams. There are teams out there, no matter what they do, and they will still lose. Some say they are “cursed” or ownership or whatever. Who knows. But these are certainly not the teams we should use as a yardstick for progress. If an “educated” opinion believes they are, they prove they are likely part of the problem, not the solution. As such, their opinion should be ignored. 

I agree. We really need to set our sights higher.

I’m beginning to wonder if I will ever spend money on the Sabres ever again.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

He has a starters job.

Ullmark left due to his father's death pushing him to want to leave

UPL hopefully will have no such issue. 

I‘m unsure which “he” you are speaking of, but either one had/has a starters job with the Sabres. 

We don’t know exactly why Ulmark left. It could’ve been the death of his father. But, one thing is for sure. UPL could’ve also very well think he needs a change of scenery. One where he doesn’t have to put up with the Levi ball washing. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I‘m unsure which “he” you are speaking of, but either one had/has a starters job with the Sabres. 

We don’t know exactly why Ulmark left. It could’ve been the death of his father. But, one thing is for sure. UPL could’ve also very well think he needs a change of scenery. One where he doesn’t have to put up with the Levi ball washing. 

Ullmark told the world why he signed with Boston. Unless you think he was being deceitful, we know exactly why.  He left because after his father’s death he felt the need to change things in his life, including the team he played for.

Edited by Weave
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ullmark told the world why he signed with Boston. Unless you think he was being deceitful, we know exactly why.  He left because after his father’s death he felt the need to change things in his life, including the team he played for.

Ok, but who signed him to a 1 year deal via arbitration walking him to unrestricted free agency? Either lock up the player or trade him if he isn't in the plan. It's poor asset management. A common argument here is "it's not easy for KA to pick up a good goalie". Yes, because good GMs don't give them away for nothing.

I believe Ullmark felt he needed a personal change. I don't believe for a second that going from a perennial losing team (after one of their worst seasons) to one of the best teams in the league didn't factor into his decision making, especially when the good team shows they want you by offering more money not pinching pennies in arbitration. Not something someone would likely say to the press, and not a compelling personal story a league reporter may choose to focus on.

• Like (+1) 1

After narrowly missing the playoffs with the youngest team in the league last season, anything less than the playoffs this season should be considered a failure and cost people their jobs. I'm sure we'll get the usual "youth" tropes in the season's postmortem instead, and they'll just run it back next season. 

Edited by HumanSlinky39

1 hour ago, atoq said:

Ok, but who signed him to a 1 year deal via arbitration walking him to unrestricted free agency? Either lock up the player or trade him if he isn't in the plan. It's poor asset management. A common argument here is "it's not easy for KA to pick up a good goalie". Yes, because good GMs don't give them away for nothing.

I believe Ullmark felt he needed a personal change. I don't believe for a second that going from a perennial losing team (after one of their worst seasons) to one of the best teams in the league didn't factor into his decision making, especially when the good team shows they want you by offering more money not pinching pennies in arbitration. Not something someone would likely say to the press, and not a compelling personal story a league reporter may choose to focus on.

The rest is you reading something that he didn’t say.  It’s speculation.

Edited by Weave

Interesting article on average tenure of NHL coaches since 2000

https://thewincolumn.ca/2023/03/30/assessing-nhl-coaching-tenures-and-the-tendencies-for-teams-to-hire-new-coaches/

Based on the average tenure length being less than 3 years - what makes DG so special that he gets more than 3.5? 

And no one can make the argument that Pegula simply knows better than the rest of the NHL...13 years doesn't support that.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

Interesting article on average tenure of NHL coaches since 2000

https://thewincolumn.ca/2023/03/30/assessing-nhl-coaching-tenures-and-the-tendencies-for-teams-to-hire-new-coaches/

Based on the average tenure length being less than 3 years - what makes DG so special that he gets more than 3.5? 

And no one can make the argument that Pegula simply knows better than the rest of the NHL...13 years doesn't support that.

He wants to be there.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm starting to think that Granato learned all his hockey from watching Cammi play because this team plays like a girls team. A junior league girls team. 

Straight up a disparaging comment against women. I can go watch a PWHL game and see players going all out.  Just because they aren't 6'3 215lbs and banging doesn't mean they aren't giving their 100%.

Stick to comparing this team to the rest of the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Straight up a disparaging comment against women. I can go watch a PWHL game and see players going all out.  Just because they aren't 6'3 215lbs and banging doesn't mean they aren't giving their 100%.

Stick to comparing this team to the rest of the NHL.

No, nothing disparaging about women in that at all. If you like women's hockey that's great, but the point was it's a different and gentler game and that's how the Sabres play. We don't finish our checks, we don't initiate contact, we don't battle for pucks hard in the corners or the net front. It is like women's hockey. It's all similar to hockey, and there's still lots of skill, but it's a different game entirely. 

Think about how we play compared to teams that are winning. Consider the differences and then get back to me with a discussion rather than trying to spin this into a false judgement of me. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, nothing disparaging about women in that at all. If you like women's hockey that's great, but the point was it's a different and gentler game and that's how the Sabres play. We don't finish our checks, we don't initiate contact, we don't battle for pucks hard in the corners or the net front. It is like women's hockey. It's all similar to hockey, and there's still lots of skill, but it's a different game entirely. 

Think about how we play compared to teams that are winning. Consider the differences and then get back to me with a discussion rather than trying to spin this into a false judgement of me. 

Do a search for PWHL Physicality. There's nothing to discuss with such an obtuse opinion.  You can insult the team without disparaging the women's game.  Well, it's possible to do so, I'm not sure you are actually able to do it.

I'm done here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/30/sports/sunday-hockey-notes-predators-u2/

Sabres again will go home early

The Sabres’ official time of death — a 13th consecutive season of missing the playoffs — will be any hour now. A five-win flurry early this month had them flirting briefly with the second wild-card seed in the Eastern Conference. They then lost three of four, including an 8-3 beatdown in Edmonton, and that was essentially the death rattle.

For those who might have lost track, the Sabres have not qualified for the playoffs since the spring of 2011, facing the Flyers in Round 1 only weeks after fracking billionaire Terry Pegula ponied up just shy of $200 million to become the Crossed Swords’ owner.

Outcome: The Flyers clinched the series in Game 7, despite the best efforts of Buffalo’s top scorer, defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani (seven games, 7 points). Extra points to you this morning if you recall the hyphenated first name or that someone with the last name Gragnani ever played for the Sabres.

A quick summation of the comings and goings alongside Lake Erie since April 2011. The Sabres have had:

▪ Four general managers: Darcy Regier, Tim Murray, Jason Botterill, and Kevyn Adams.

▪ Seven coaches: Lindy Ruff, Ron Rolston, Ted Nolan, Dan Bylsma, Phil Housley, Ralph Krueger, and Don Granato.

▪ Six captains: Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek, Steve Ott, Brian Gionta, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Okposo, who was dealt to the Panthers at the March 8 deadline.

▪ A truckload of draft picks (103), including 19 in the first round.

▪ One owner: Pegula, whose payroll beginning in 2011-12, spanning the 13 DNQs, is now approaching $1 billion. That’s $1 billion and not a single playoff game.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/30/sports/sunday-hockey-notes-predators-u2/

Sabres again will go home early

The Sabres’ official time of death — a 13th consecutive season of missing the playoffs — will be any hour now. A five-win flurry early this month had them flirting briefly with the second wild-card seed in the Eastern Conference. They then lost three of four, including an 8-3 beatdown in Edmonton, and that was essentially the death rattle.

For those who might have lost track, the Sabres have not qualified for the playoffs since the spring of 2011, facing the Flyers in Round 1 only weeks after fracking billionaire Terry Pegula ponied up just shy of $200 million to become the Crossed Swords’ owner.

Outcome: The Flyers clinched the series in Game 7, despite the best efforts of Buffalo’s top scorer, defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani (seven games, 7 points). Extra points to you this morning if you recall the hyphenated first name or that someone with the last name Gragnani ever played for the Sabres.

A quick summation of the comings and goings alongside Lake Erie since April 2011. The Sabres have had:

▪ Four general managers: Darcy Regier, Tim Murray, Jason Botterill, and Kevyn Adams.

▪ Seven coaches: Lindy Ruff, Ron Rolston, Ted Nolan, Dan Bylsma, Phil Housley, Ralph Krueger, and Don Granato.

▪ Six captains: Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek, Steve Ott, Brian Gionta, Jack Eichel, and Kyle Okposo, who was dealt to the Panthers at the March 8 deadline.

▪ A truckload of draft picks (103), including 19 in the first round.

▪ One owner: Pegula, whose payroll beginning in 2011-12, spanning the 13 DNQs, is now approaching $1 billion. That’s $1 billion and not a single playoff game.

Well, when you put it that way...

Good Lord. This is just the tip of the iceberg from an out of town 35,000 foot perspective. As we all know, it's this bad and worse considering the current direction the organization is heading. Like most of you, I'm hoping for major changes in the upcoming months that won't happen.  It really seems like there is no end in sight. At least the playoffs will be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Last season ended with hope. This season is ending in a complete pit of hopeless despair. 

I wouldn't go that far. UPL's emergence is huge. They desperately need a new coach and staff at minimum.

• Agree 2

Say what you want about the Sabres but their prioritizing of social media above all else is officially yielding results: 

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wouldn't go that far. UPL's emergence is huge. They desperately need a new coach and staff at minimum.

It’s positive in so far as the action the take to solidify it. Last year they took the “scoring is fine, run it back: trust.” If they say the GT is fine and run it back without a more proven backup, Levi might work out but it might also blow up in their faces 

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Say what you want about the Sabres but their prioritizing of social media above all else is officially yielding results: 

It’s positive in so far as the action the take to solidify it. Last year they took the “scoring is fine, run it back: trust.” If they say the GT is fine and run it back without a more proven backup, Levi might work out but it might also blow up in their faces 

Can we trade Skinner to a French team? (or maybe a pretend French team?) 

• Haha (+1) 2

At this point I would take them hiring Ruff for 2 years with Peca as an assistant with the idea of Peca taking over and Lindy moving upstairs. Just give me something different. Some accountability, some special teams competence.

You can’t sell hope with Granato and staff coming back.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That is one way to look at it. 

The other is that I think this years goaltending is worth about 10-15 points more than last years goaltending. If you adjust for UPL's emergence this year then that means this team would be picking top 5 without him. 

A bottom 5 NHL roster is a sad place to be. 

• Like (+1) 1