(OT) Common Sabrespace Typos and Poor Grammar That Drive You Mad

shrader

55 minutes ago, inkman said:

When I hold a SSer in high regard, I’ll refrain from taking their grammar to task.  @Weave is my boy.  I couldn’t do him like that.  Until now I suppose.  😀

As far as would have, could have, should have.  Ha it autocorrected.  Since when?  Today ?  Anyway, so many people Jack that up that I lost hope a while ago.  

I used to get my panties in a twist over people’s grammar here.  Since, I’ve take a more laid back approach and just kinda snicker when I see it.  If people want to out themselves as poorly educated, have at it.  

The best part is, until just now I dod not get the reference to “weave” in shrader’s post.

noone - no one

potato - potato

wait…… nevermind

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

What I don't understand is how people who supposedly have eyes to read
and ears to listen can continue to make mistakes that the (once) majority
does not.

Rob Ray will say, "I had went to the bar" or "the puck had came out to
the point."  These should be: "I had gone to the bar" and "the puck
had come out to the point".  It's called the "Past Perfect".

I found these explanations online:

--
"There are four past tense forms in English:
Past simple:     I worked
Past continuous:     I was working
Past perfect:     I had worked
Past perfect continuous:     I had been working"
(https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/grammar/english-grammar-reference/past-tense)

---

and

---

The following is a list of Irregular Verbs in English:

Verb     Past Simple     Past Participle
==========================================
arise     arose     arisen
babysit     babysat     babysat
be     was / were    been
beat     beat     beaten
become     became    become
begin     began    begun
[snip]...
win     won     won
withdraw     withdrew     withdrawn
write     wrote     written
==========================================

* HANG - Hang has two different meanings. The first is "to attach (or hang) something in a high position" (e.g. on the wall or on a hook). In this case we use the above verbs Hang-Hung-Hung.

BUT when Hang means "to kill someone by putting a rope around someone's neck and leaving them in a high position without any support", we use different verbs: Hang-Hanged-hanged. This verb is typical of public executions in the past. (e.g. They hanged him in the main square.)

** LIE - Lie has two meanings. When it means "to put your body in a horizontal position" (normally on a bed) it uses the Lie-Lay-Lain verbs.

BUT it is regular Lie-Lied-Lied when it has the other meaning of "not to say the truth".  [Etienne - for 4 thousand years Indo-Europeans have been able to properly distinguish between these two usages, but Americans in the last 40 years have seemingly lost this ability.]

(https://www.grammar.cl/Past/Irregular_Verbs_List.htm)
-----

I'll mention another more common problem. The infinitive. This is the "to [verb]"
form, such as "I want *to* eat lunch" or "I will try *to* ignore bad grammar".
So many people say the illogical "I will try *and* do something"; this would
imply that you can read the future because you are starting that you *will*
in fact do something instead of just "trying" to do something.  

Here's another problem to mention.  It's not "where you *at*?".  It is
entirely sufficient, and always has been, to simply ask "where are you?".  
In general, it is poor English to end a sentence with a proposition.  
In this particular case, it is entirely unnecessary and only serves to
distinguish the talker/writer as poorly grounded in English *fundamentals*.

I could do this all day long.  

It's not "an invite", it's "an invitation".
It's not "he has high compete", it's "he has a high level of competition".

Blah blah blah.

Learn English, folks.  I did.

jeff bridges walter sobchack GIF

Punctuation. It’s just not that difficult.

He who shall not be named has posts where if you add commas or periods in different places you can come up with up to 5 different meanings. I stopped trying until he does.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I just looked that up since I'm 99% certain you are speaking of me.

Holy *****, I never even knew that

Would've = Would have obviously but Would of = Is akin to "wood of a tree" and while speaking aloud it makes sense doesn't read correctly. Hopefully I remember this for future posts 🙂

You are an honorable man for posting this. 

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

The best part is, until just now I dod not get the reference to “weave” in shrader’s post.

noone - no one

potato - potato

wait…… nevermind

Wow. Me, too.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Typos are ok as they happen easily but when some says could of instead of could have, that bothers me.

"...when some SAY...IT bothers me..."

And you probably should place "it bothers me" between "but" and "when" and use quotes around "could of " and "could have".

• Like (+1) 1

Errors in grammar, syntax, etc. don't really have the power to annoy me here.

Bad takes, on the other hand. Those can get me going.

There was a poster who used to visit here - can't recall their name - the poster's "voice" suggested they were an older man from rural Ontario (?). Possibly someone with indigenous heritage? Their spelling, grammar, etc. were ... nonstandard, to say the least. But their hockey takes were interesting as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Errors in grammar, syntax, etc. don't really have the power to annoy me here.

Bad takes, on the other hand. Those can get me going.

There was a poster who used to visit here - can't recall their name - the poster's "voice" suggested they were an older man from rural Ontario (?). Possibly someone with indigenous heritage? Their spelling, grammar, etc. were ... nonstandard, to say the least. But their hockey takes were interesting as hell.

Millbank?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The only poster that drives me mad when they make simple spelling/grammatical errors is me.  I hate having that "edited by" tag because I typed "lost" when I mean "loss" but I'd rather fix the typo than show what an ignorant lout I am. 

That has happened to me with loss/lost also, and I have many posts with 'edited' on them for grammer/spelling errors.

I almost SWEAR sometimes there is some form of autocorrect going on though, because when I re-read my posts, the 'mistakes' I often find are not one-letter mistakes, but instead grammer mistakes that I swear I did not make.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I just looked that up since I'm 99% certain you are speaking of me.

Holy *****, I never even knew that

Would've = Would have obviously but Would of = Is akin to "wood of a tree" and while speaking aloud it makes sense doesn't read correctly. Hopefully I remember this for future posts 🙂

Who knew that a late night mid-feed post could actually educate? My one contribution for the year has been made. 

And on a completely different note, it’s not a grammar thing but I get a kick out of seeing a few people in here who don’t understand the concept of hyperbole. 

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Reminds me of a joke on House of Cards. Setting is a college dorm.  "Hi. Where y'all from?" Girl from Connecticut says, "We're from a place where we know not to end a sentence with a preposition." The girl from Georgia says, "Oh, beg my pardon. Where y'all from...c*nt?"

Written presumably by a cultural elite. 

Yes. Guilty as charged.  In fact, I'm a conservative. That means that I see value in traditional things and try to "conserve" them.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

jeff bridges walter sobchack GIF

Perhaps. But what I find being undudely is communicating so poorly that I have to waste time trying to discern the meaning.  I used Rob Ray as an example because we've all heard him on numerous occasions. I really appreciate his hockey knowledge and his ability to explain the action on the ice. But I dislike having to "code switch" into his vernacular.   You are what you eat. If all you listen to is bad grammar, then you're likely to pick that up. Where do you think Rob learned to speak the way that he did?   Anyhow, that's something I don't want to be undudely forced upon me, thank you very much.  I like English, not "dohngivafukish".

• dislike 2

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Noone would have guessed you'd come with this post.

(insert winkie thingie here)

image.jpeg.cff9671136771c299c4e79f55a884fcd.jpeg

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

What can we say?  We have the patron saint of proper grammar speaking to us during every game (except the ones exclusive on ESPN+, TNT, NHL Network)

8gna5q.jpg

Know, yore write.

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

But I dislike having to "code switch" into his vernacular.

I actually enjoy it, to be honest.  A lot of what people call "bad grammar" is actually difference in dialect.

Example: 
"The lawn needs to be mowed" versus "The lawn needs mowed."  Both are clear in their meaning.  The former is the more common usage, usually considered "standard" in a sense.  The latter is peculiar to a small region in southwestern Pennsylvania and West Virginia, largely settled by Scotts.  The grammatical structure is correct in Scottish usage.

The "needs mowed" usage has entered colloquial English.  A generation ago it was rare to hear this usage outside of region I described; now it's not uncommon to hear it.  It's entered the lexicon and is a recognized usage.

For as much as people make fun of Rob's grammar, it is part of the dialect he speaks.  I'm sure that if the producers of Sabres broadcasts thought it was a problem, they would have suggested he go to a vocal coach and learn "standard" grammar, but we all understand what he's saying, so what's the big deal?

I think of this place as more spoken English than written. The analogy would be we're sitting in a bar. That's why side topics and threads getting off track don't bother me much. It's how group conversations go.

I mean, I use gonna and wanna from time to time.

I've also noticed I've cut back on commas. Fat fingers and small keyboards it's one less thing to enter.

Same with question marks. How are ya

The meaning comes through.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I actually enjoy it, to be honest.  A lot of what people call "bad grammar" is actually difference in dialect.

Example: 
"The lawn needs to be mowed" versus "The lawn needs mowed."  Both are clear in their meaning.  The former is the more common usage, usually considered "standard" in a sense.  The latter is peculiar to a small region in southwestern Pennsylvania and West Virginia, largely settled by Scotts.  The grammatical structure is correct in Scottish usage.

The "needs mowed" usage has entered colloquial English.  A generation ago it was rare to hear this usage outside of region I described; now it's not uncommon to hear it.  It's entered the lexicon and is a recognized usage.

For as much as people make fun of Rob's grammar, it is part of the dialect he speaks.  I'm sure that if the producers of Sabres broadcasts thought it was a problem, they would have suggested he go to a vocal coach and learn "standard" grammar, but we all understand what he's saying, so what's the big deal?

I feel like it’s usually pretty easy to spot the difference between a language barrier and just plain not knowing any better. I don’t know that your dialect suggestions qualify as a language barrier, but I’m comfortable making that association. 

When I read this thread posted by @shrader, didn’t expect much late last night… Twelve hours later…

Boom… Shrader scores!

Thanks for the education and entertainment.