Thank you and good luck to Kyle Okposo

dudacek

Great guy on and off the ice.  A true family man.

Nothing else really matters.

I am a fan of his and wish him well in his life after being a player.

I agree with @Weave that is is likely the last few games of his career.  He will either finish as a Sabre or he will be given a chance at the cup.  He will help a team in that regard.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, ... said:

Say, that's not a bad idea. At least he wouldn't be a retread like He Who Shall Not be Named.

It's a terrible idea... Unless when evaluating Kyle for a coaching position you can take out his Buffalo connection and still say he's the best candidate.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

What made him a great Captain?

Respected around the league

Dealt with the media through tough times

Worked his ass off

Played a fatherly/big brother role for most of the team

I'm not going to tie his leadership and captaincy to the team's success.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Who says he has been a great captain? How do you quantify "captain-ness"?

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's a terrible idea... Unless when evaluating Kyle for a coaching position you can take out his Buffalo connection and still say he's the best candidate.

But he wouldn't be a retread. And he has no professional coaching experience. He'd totally fit right in.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Is anyone saying he is?

A lot of nice things can be said about the guy. But I certainly won't remember him as a great Sabres captain. That comes with the territory when the team stunk throughout your time as captain.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think he has had any positive impact on the organization. There’s no real difference now compared to seven years ago.

Most of his tenure the locker room has been in shambles.  I think without his injury the tune would be much different around here.

It’s commendable he came back, but he’s never for a day been worth his contract and if he’s here for his intangibles maybe he shouldn’t be. “Teaching young guys how to be pros” when we’ve got guys slamming sticks, looking to the sky, and barely competing. Our best talents have grown discontent and left. I don’t get it with KO. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think he has had any positive impact on the organization. There’s no real difference now compared to seven years ago.

Most of his tenure the locker room has been in shambles.  I think without his injury the tune would be much different around here.

It’s commendable he came back, but he’s never for a day been worth his contract and if he’s here for his intangibles maybe he shouldn’t be. “Teaching young guys how to be pros” when we’ve got guys slammed sticks, looking to the sky, and barely competing. Our best talents have grown discontent and left. I don’t get it with KO. 

This is tough, but fair.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It’s commendable he came back, but he’s never for a day been worth his contract and if he’s here for his intangibles maybe he shouldn’t be. “Teaching young guys how to be pros” when we’ve got guys slamming sticks, looking to the sky, and barely competing. Our best talents have grown discontent and left. I don’t get it with KO. 

There is a lot to unpack here. I’m never concerned about what athletes make. They don’t pay themselves, he earned that contract.  We also need to remember much of his time here was with Jack Eichel, who no one confuses as a team first guy.  Kyle didn’t ask for the C, it landed on him by default.  He also inherited a team of super soft, mentally and physically, players who don’t understand what it takes to win.  Should Kyle have been able to get Victor Olofsson to skate through a wall for the team?  Maybe.  Should he have gone to mgmt and told Adams you aren’t going to win with players A,B & C aka Chris Drury telling Darcy that Satan had to go?  Probably.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, #freejame said:

You do realize he was only captain the last  two seasons, right? Also he can only do so much as a captain. He can’t punish players for acting like children. That’s the coaches job. The only way to understand if he was truly a good captain or even a veteran mentor is by having conversations with his teammates. 

what we can judge him on is what was talked about earlier, the love he has for WNY, his willingness to be open in interviews throughout the hell he’s had to endure with this team, and working his ass off no matter what job he was given or how bad the team was. 

who knows what happens to him on Friday but he is still the captain of this team right now and he will play like it. 

I have a lot of respect for him. 

dead poets society GIF

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Should Kyle have been able to get Victor Olofsson to skate through a wall for the team?  Maybe.  Should he have gone to mgmt and told Adams you aren’t going to win with players A,B & C aka Chris Drury telling Darcy that Satan had to go?  Probably.  

That’s the thing. We don’t know if he tried these things and probably never know. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Okposo has been a great trooper and I hope we have some kind of job for him after his retirement but as long as it isn't Boston or Toronto I'll look forward to rooting for him.

KO has done f*ck all than collect a huge paycheck while never making the playoffs here.

Goodbye, and good riddance.

• Like (+1) 1