Rumor: Brady Tkachuk available

Buffalonill

14 hours ago, inkman said:

If there was only a way they could kick start a rebuild…

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Mark of a team that's quit on the season and has guys waiting on the trade deadline. They've lost their way with the temporary coaching change as well. No wonder Tkachuk wants out. 

Nashville rebuild on the other hand, moving along quite nicely. 

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

I would expect some major moves there. The new ownership and management team have no ties to any of these players.

Like Buffalo, they expected to be in the hunt this year.

Here's a generalization with, IMHO, quite a bit of truth to it:  this is exactly the kind of situation in which a Canadian NHL team -- mostly due to the much higher pressure facing Canadian teams relative to US teams -- frequently panics and trades a great player instead of patiently working out the issues.

If this is real, it's an opportunity.  I sure hope KA seizes it.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

So you guy all want Brady Tkachuk for the next 4 years at $8.2M????

In year 5 he will be gone, and if we cannot get this team to Cup contending status in 2 years he will be a miserable distraction in Buffalo (aka Hockey Hell).  

His family is hell bent on getting him and his brother together someday, or getting him to St Louis (home), or another contending team. 

This guy is a huge prima donna.  Figures he is not wanting to finish the contract he signed with Ottawa.  

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

There can't be many teams that have prospects and picks like Buffalo, but if a player has any say in where he is going to be traded, zero chance Buffalo is on that list. I would imagine that Buffalo is near dead last as a destination for anyone in their prime. 

I doubt he'd be happy about being traded to Buffalo, but the Sabres need to take steps and no move is without risk.  If they bring him in and the team becomes a Cup contender, he'll probably be happy here.

OTOH, if they don't bring him in, and they continue to stink, guys like Dahlin and Cozens are going to want out pretty soon and then we'll be starting rebuild #4.

• Like (+1) 1

From the Senators GM Steve Staios to Pierre LeBrun

Like, we’re building the team around Brady Tkachuk and the type of person, the type of player and the type of leader that he is. He means everything to the organization. And he brings it every night along with our core group of players. It’s a matter of time and a matter of nurturing this group.

When I talk about bringing in veteran players, it’s really to support this young group and to support Brady and Tim (Stützle) and the rest of the group. Claude Giroux has done a phenomenal job of that. But you can always use those guys

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Here's a generalization with, IMHO, quite a bit of truth to it:  this is exactly the kind of situation in which a Canadian NHL team -- mostly due to the much higher pressure facing Canadian teams relative to US teams -- frequently panics and trades a great player instead of patiently working out the issues.

If this is real, it's an opportunity.  I sure hope KA seizes it.

I doubt he'd be happy about being traded to Buffalo, but the Sabres need to take steps and no move is without risk.  If they bring him in and the team becomes a Cup contender, he'll probably be happy here.

OTOH, if they don't bring him in, and they continue to stink, guys like Dahlin and Cozens are going to want out pretty soon and then we'll be starting rebuild #4.

Buffalo would have to make additional moves to make him turn to happy. In order for him to play his game he will want more toughness on the roster and a true heavyweight. He wants to play a Marchand type role so he needs a Lucic. He does not want to have to be the guy fighting an Olivier type. If he's the toughest guy on our roster he will not want to be here and won't give us his true value if he's stuck here. 

This whole discussion however would mean a culture shift. Is that what Pegula wants? It would certainly be a departure from the directions they've taken so far, which makes me think WE are talking about it and loving the idea, but KA hasn't even picked up the phone. 

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From the Senators GM Steve Staios to Pierre LeBrun

Like, we’re building the team around Brady Tkachuk and the type of person, the type of player and the type of leader that he is. He means everything to the organization. And he brings it every night along with our core group of players. It’s a matter of time and a matter of nurturing this group.

When I talk about bringing in veteran players, it’s really to support this young group and to support Brady and Tim (Stützle) and the rest of the group. Claude Giroux has done a phenomenal job of that. But you can always use those guys

Time to close the thread down

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Buffalo would have to make additional moves to make him turn to happy. In order for him to play his game he will want more toughness on the roster and a true heavyweight. He wants to play a Marchand type role so he needs a Lucic. He does not want to have to be the guy fighting an Olivier type. If he's the toughest guy on our roster he will not want to be here and won't give us his true value if he's stuck here. 

This whole discussion however would mean a culture shift. Is that what Pegula wants? It would certainly be a departure from the directions they've taken so far, which makes me think WE are talking about it and loving the idea, but KA hasn't even picked up the phone. 

There is nothing that tells me Pegula wants or would be in support of someone who plays the game like Tkachuk or even a Tom Wilson type of player. I think they repulse him and he would rather lose than employee people he doesn’t like. 

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:19 PM, Buffalonill said:

this a  franchise Changing type of move I don't care what the cost is just do it .

Buffalo has enough Prospects and and draft choices to get this done 

Didn't realize he has  maturity issues..

Looks like we're doomed.

There is no way in hell Brady would ever consider coming to Buffalo. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:15 AM, Sidc3000 said:

There is no way in hell Brady would ever consider coming to Buffalo. 

So you're saying he'd refuse to report if traded?  Because it's not like he would have a lot of say in the matter other than that.

23 minutes ago, LTS said:

So you're saying he'd refuse to report if traded?  Because it's not like he would have a lot of say in the matter other than that.

Do you want to trade for a player who doesn't want to be here? I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy for not wanting to play for some teams. But I don't want to trade for a player who I know in advance will be unhappy at his new location. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you want to trade for a player who doesn't want to be here? I'm not suggesting that he's a bad guy for not wanting to play for some teams. But I don't want to trade for a player who I know in advance will be unhappy at his new location. 

We should keep the fanboi train chugging and bring in only soft lazy players that “want to be here”.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

We should keep the fanboi train chugging and bring in only soft lazy players that “want to be here”.  

I saw a bumper decal when I was down south that is fitting: If your heart ain't in Dixie, get your asssss out. That's how I feel about people who don't want to be in a particular workplace. Bringing in players you know in advance who don't want to be there has a predictable outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I saw a bumper decal when I was down south that is fitting: If your heart ain't in Dixie, get your asssss out. That's how I feel about people who don't want to be in a particular workplace. Bringing in players you know in advance who don't want to be there has a predictable outcome. 

I don’t really care about any of that crap anymore.  They need to get into the playoffs.  Which clearly isn’t happening with this happy to be here band of losers.  They need players that aren’t happy at all.  Guys that wake up and want to make someone’s life worse.  They are solely concerned with winning hockey games with no regard to teammates feelings or opponent’s safety.  I want players with personal problems that motivate them to smash someone’s face into the glass visualizing the teeth of whomever they pictured during that hit flying though the air getting lost on the frozen surface that lies beneath.  Enough Tommy Dangles or All-Star 🤮Rasmus Dahlin.  I want players that enjoy seeing other people suffer, writhing in pain on the ice.  Take all of these nice guys, remove them from the team and bring in guys that ***** in your sandwich and piss on your dog.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t really care about any of that crap anymore.  They need to get into the playoffs.  Which clearly isn’t happening with this happy to be here band of losers.  They need players that aren’t happy at all.  Guys that wake up and want to make someone’s life worse.  They are solely concerned with winning hockey games with no regard to teammates feelings or opponent’s safety.  I want players with personal problems that motivate them to smash someone’s face into the glass visualizing the teeth of whomever they pictured during that hit flying though the air getting lost on the frozen surface that lies beneath.  Enough Tommy Dangles or All-Star 🤮Rasmus Dahlin.  I want players that enjoy seeing other people suffer, writhing in pain on the ice.  Take all of these nice guys, remove them from the team and bring in guys that ***** in your sandwich and piss on your dog.  

It would be hard for me to disagree on more of this if I wanted to.  Other than them needing to get into the playoffs that is.

To me this is a game. Its entertainment. People play this game...not ones I can always relate to their lifestyle, but they are people.  I do not want ANYONE's goal to make someone else's life worse, I can't even relate to that thought at all.  I do not want to root for a team that only cares about winning at the expense of feelings or safety of other people...really?  

Again, the sport is entertaiment. Played by people I don't in any world want MORE people in our society to care less for others, to want to hurt others...any of that just for the sake of 'winning' at something that has zero other impact on my life other than a few hours of entertainment per week.

Edited by mjd1001

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It would be hard for me to disagree on more of this if I wanted to.  Other than them needing to get into the playoffs that is.

To me this is a game. Its entertainment. People play this game...not ones I can always relate to their lifestyle, but they are people.  I do not want ANYONE's goal to make someone else's life worse, I can't even relate to that thought at all.  I do not want to root for a team that only cares about winning at the expense of feelings or safety of other people...really?  

Again, the sport is entertaiment. Played by people I don't in any world want MORE people in our society to care less for others, to want to hurt others...any of that just for the sake of 'winning' at something that has zero other impact on my life other than a few hours of entertainment per week.

I stopped being entertained a while ago

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

You may not be aware of it but the caveman hockey era has been over with for a long time. Maybe MMA events could be a more enjoyable sport for you to follow? 😀

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As predictable as bringing in players who do "want to be here"? I mean, we have 12 years of evidence of the latter type of player and I don't think that parameter is working out so well. Something about the definition of crazy is...

What kind of player wants to be here right now? Likely not one motivated to win because we ain't been winners in a long time. So, how about trying something new, like a conscription model or viewing big-money sports contracts as they really are: volunteer slavery. You, NHL player, are my slave and you're going to play here and do the best you can unless you don't want the benefits of being an NHL slave.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I saw one that said paddle faster, I hear bangos.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Clone Chris Pronger.

• Agree 1

On 3/2/2024 at 1:56 PM, JohnC said:

Doesn't matter to me if they want to be here or not.  Are they going to pout about it and not perform?  Great. There goes that next contract.  I think players who get traded will play like professionals and do what needs to be done.

Would I prefer a player who was also happy?  Absolutely.  But I'm not shying away from taking a player who would be unhappy.  As it stands, I doubt ANY player would be happy to be traded from a playoff team to a non-playoff team.  That's business unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

Doesn't matter to me if they want to be here or not.  Are they going to pout about it and not perform?  Great. There goes that next contract.  I think players who get traded will play like professionals and do what needs to be done.

Would I prefer a player who was also happy?  Absolutely.  But I'm not shying away from taking a player who would be unhappy.  As it stands, I doubt ANY player would be happy to be traded from a playoff team to a non-playoff team.  That's business unfortunately.

I usually agree with these kinds of things, but lately these players Have pouted, and then they get traded again

On 3/2/2024 at 2:05 PM, inkman said:

You want the Broad Street Bullies from the 1970's.   

They are long gone.  

On 3/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, ... said:

As predictable as bringing in players who do "want to be here"? I mean, we have 12 years of evidence of the latter type of player and I don't think that parameter is working out so well. Something about the definition of crazy is...

What kind of player wants to be here right now? Likely not one motivated to win because we ain't been winners in a long time. So, how about trying something new, like a conscription model or viewing big-money sports contracts as they really are: volunteer slavery. You, NHL player, are my slave and you're going to play here and do the best you can unless you don't want the benefits of being an NHL slave.

This is an incredibly stupid thing to say. Slavery? Really? 

37 minutes ago, LTS said:

The issue isn't only the player you want to trade for, disgruntled or not. The issue is what are you going to give up for a player like Thkachuk? I'm not giving up multiple  young good players for a someone I know who doesn't want to be here. This team doesn't have a deep enough roster to begin with. I'm not thinning it out for a player who may turn out to be problematic. Tkachuk is certainly an impact player. I've not said otherwise. However, building up the roster in general is more important than adding this kind of player with his attitude. 

On 3/2/2024 at 3:46 PM, JohnC said:

You may not be aware of it but the caveman hockey era has been over with for a long time. Maybe MMA events could be a more enjoyable sport for you to follow? 😀

55 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You want the Broad Street Bullies from the 1970's.   

They are long gone.  

I want players that do this