Rumor: Brady Tkachuk available

Buffalonill

47 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Don’t mistake his style of play as the only thing that matters here.  
If the Sens team captain has maturity issues, then you cannot bring him into the youngest team in hockey. His fresh start would need to be where there’s a core group of veterans and this ain’t it. 

But when I hear they got a player who has become too comfortable, I say that’s exactly the type of player we don’t have and sorely need. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

But when I hear they got a player who has become too comfortable, I say that’s exactly the type of player we don’t have and sorely need. 

Evander Kane was the type of player we needed when we got him. Turns out more than the type of player matters.  

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I posted that offer because that is what they would ask for. 

Who is the guy reporting maturity issues? An insider or some ham and egger fan on twitter?

Even if true he might be inmature for what they need as a captain but be fine as a guy in the room.

I know him and Dahlin became fast friends at the draft stuff and he and Mitts are buds.

I would be surprised if they moved him but even more surprised if it was in division.

What if they wanted Quinn (Ottawa junior) Peterka (buddies with Stutzle) and Levi?

This type of deal would have to hurt. He does bring a game the team could really use.

I'd say no since Levi is still our high end prospect goalie and until UPL does this a couple years I'm not interested in playing that game.

Quinn and Peterka are a dynamic duo and I'd be extremely hesitant to trade either of them much less both. 

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Offer Savoie and Rosen plus a draft pick.  The Sens are still cap constrained.

Only for this season.  They will be fine next year….granted they won’t have much cash to add via UFA in the offseason, but they’ll be fine.

Kubalik and Tarasanko won’t return.  A four million cap rise.  That’s plenty to sign Pinto & Sanderson.  

Their problem is fixing their league worst goaltending. No easy answer for that and UFA route is proving unreliable for a lot of teams. 

10 hours ago, inkman said:

I would trade any player on the roster or in the pipeline for him.  Probably multiple.  

It would take roster players to acquire a player of this ilk.  Power maybe?   I’d move him of Dahlin is a second for any Tkachuk.  

This is it in a nutshell.  You're giving up the crown jewels if you want Brady, and it's at least 50/50 that the right move is to do so.

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Ottawa asks for Cozens, Quinn, Kulich and Levi. 

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I posted that offer because that is what they would ask for. 

Who is the guy reporting maturity issues? An insider or some ham and egger fan on twitter?

Even if true he might be inmature for what they need as a captain but be fine as a guy in the room.

I know him and Dahlin became fast friends at the draft stuff and he and Mitts are buds.

I would be surprised if they moved him but even more surprised if it was in division.

What if they wanted Quinn (Ottawa junior) Peterka (buddies with Stutzle) and Levi?

This type of deal would have to hurt. He does bring a game the team could really use.

I think you are right that Ottawa would want something like your proposal, and that no matter what the final price is, it would hurt.

9 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Rosen, Cozens, Kulich, and next years first. 

There is no way Ottawa does this with Cozens being the only legit NHL roster player coming back.

It raises an interesting question as to whether I'd rather part with Cozens as opposed to, say, TT or Power or Quinn.

9 hours ago, TageMVP said:

That's not bad at all. Some people will whine to keep Cozens, and they might be right, but that's not a terrible trade. 

How bout this 

Mittlestadt for Tkatchuk. Straight up, old school style. 

Ottawa wouldn't do this in a million years.  This is pretty close to Roy-for-Malkin redux.

Separately:  realistically, if the price didn't include Dahlin or TT, IMHO it would include at least 2 of:

Cozens

Quinn

Tuch

JJP

Power

PLUS one or 2 of

Levi

Mitts

Benson

Kulich

Rosen

Östlund

2024 #1

...so it would hurt indeed.

I think the Sabres lack heart and intensity, so I think I'd be OK paying a high price for Brady, but I'd prefer to keep the guys we have already who have those qualities, i.e. Cozens, Tuch and Dahlin.

But I think I'd also rather see how the current group reacted to a real NHL coach before I made any major overhauls.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is it in a nutshell.  You're giving up the crown jewels if you want Brady, and it's at least 50/50 that the right move is to do so.

I think you are right that Ottawa would want something like your proposal, and that no matter what the final price is, it would hurt.

There is no way Ottawa does this with Cozens being the only legit NHL roster player coming back.

It raises an interesting question as to whether I'd rather part with Cozens as opposed to, say, TT or Power or Quinn.

Ottawa wouldn't do this in a million years.  This is pretty close to Roy-for-Malkin redux.

Separately:  realistically, if the price didn't include Dahlin or TT, IMHO it would include at least 2 of:

Cozens

Quinn

Tuch

JJP

Power

PLUS one or 2 of

Levi

Mitts

Kulich

Rosen

Östlund

2024 #1

I think the Sabres lack heart and intensity, so I think I'd be OK paying a high price for Brady, but I'd prefer to keep the guys we have already who have those qualities, i.e. Cozens, Tuch and Dahlin.

But I think I'd also rather see how the current group reacted to a real NHL coach before I made any major overhauls.

Do you think that is likely to happen anytime soon? 

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I have come to conclude that this is the essential and correct take on the Sabres’ current roster.

I love the idea of having a player like Brady Tkachuk on the Sabres. But something seems off with the player right now. The Sabres would not be a good landing spot for him. Has it been mentioned upthread that Brady Tkachuk would need an Eichel:Knights scenario?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TageMVP said:

Or just bring in veteran players along with Tkatchuk. You know, the thing Sabres management hasn't understood for 12 years

This is flat out wrong. Do you really want to go through the list of veterans that have brought in over the last 12 years? Craig Rivet? Brian Gianta? Kyle Okposo? Jeff Skinner? Eric Johnson? Eric Staal? Ryan O’Reilly? Marcus Johansson? Taylor Hall? And a whole slew of others I’m not even going to bother to go through.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, SDS said:

This is flat out wrong. Do you really want to go through the list of veterans that have brought in over the last 12 years? Craig Rivet? Brian Gianta? Kyle Okposo? Jeff Skinner? Eric Johnson? Eric Staal? Ryan O’Reilly? Marcus Johansson? Taylor Hall? And a whole slew of others I’m not even going to bother to go through.

Get better veterans then. Character guys. Not passengers like Okposo and Hall were before they joined the Sabres 

Edited by TageMVP

44 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Cozens

Quinn

Tuch

JJP

Power

PLUS one or 2 of

Levi

Mitts

Kulich

Rosen

Östlund

2024 #1

At that cost it isn't worth it in the slightest.

You'd end up in Lindros trade territory of 4 1sts + for 1 guy and that never works out for the team getting the 1 player.

3 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Easy safe answer right there 

Some issues are simple. An easy and safe answer are called for when a question is so obvious to respond to. If you have a different opinion on this possible trade scenario, then that's fine. My answer is clear and firm. 

58 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No it's not, lol. Malkin was 10x the player Roy was. Do you really think Tkachuk is that much better than Mittlestadt? Or vice versa? Lol 

Edited by TageMVP

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

I would rather miss the playoffs for an additional 12 years straight, than have either scumbag brother on this team.

And therein lies the problem. Scumbags seem to win games and often cups. For every Marchand that bleeds hockey there is a nice guy that doesn’t. Nice guys win cups too but I’d rather go into battle with a not so nice guy. Buffalo needs a couple.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

At that cost it isn't worth it in the slightest.

You'd end up in Lindros trade territory of 4 1sts + for 1 guy and that never works out for the team getting the 1 player.

It worked out pretty well for Vegas!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It worked out pretty well for Vegas!

We got Tuch, Krebs and a protected 1st + 2nd and sent them back a 3rd. No where near as much as Cozens + Benson + more

20 minutes ago, freester said:

I would offer Savoie, Rosen, Samuelson and Levi. Idk if that gets it done. 

I wouldn’t offer Levi regardless

• Like (+1) 1