Rumor: Brady Tkachuk available

Buffalonill

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I think his brother’s trade may be a good comp.  

Huberdeau = Tage or Cozens

Weegar = Power or Dahlin

plus a prospect and a pick.  

Maybe we’ve been undervaluing Brady.  😀

Weegar is not a good comp for Dahlin.  No way. 

Power and a prospect like Rosen.  

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We hope you are right on Power.  The talent, vision and skill is there.  The size is there.  What is missing is physical strength, toughness, and willingness to use his body - all things a "stud anchor" on defense has to posses.  

Brady is 6'4 and 225 and can score 30+ goals.  He is a force right now and getting a power forward that scores goals is just as hard to get as stud defenseman, maybe harder. 

Brady is also a lunkhead.   He has been a minus player every season and he takes a lot of penalties.  He is building a reputation as a disturbance, at least in Ottawa.  

I am not sure he fits into Buffalo but him for Power might be an pretty even trade.  

I'm very confident that my position of no on a Power for Tkachuk trade is the right position to take. For me, it is not only the right call but also an easy call. Adding an inconvertible knucklehead to the room at the expense of a talented young defenseman with a lot more upside is a mistake that will become more evident as time passes on. You have been in the work world for a long time, as I have. A jerk is a jerk who disrupts the balance of the group. You don't have to be a bad person to be a toxic person that has a contaminating effect on those who work in the same vicinity. 

With respect to Power there is a misconception about him as a player just because he is not a banger, and neither is Samuelsson. He's big and strong and can skate. He's going to get better and become an anchor defenseman for us for a long time. He's not as flashy and stylistic as Dahlin. They are simply two different types of players. But there is no doubt in mind that he is going to be an instrumental player for us for a long time. Also, if you add in the fact that he is a good kid, this becomes an easy call for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Weegar = Power or Dahlin

Speaking of Huberdeau It's absolutely crazy that he went from one of the elite players in the league to an absolute bum

Edited by Buffalonill

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Zero possibility? Probably.    But look at what we accepted for two players that were better than Brady is now.  Why does everyone here make trade offers where we grossly overpay?  

Again, though, the ROR trade had the bonus deadline and JB incompetence as value-depressing factors, while Eichel had the injury risk, plus he wanted a type of operation that had never been performed on a major sport athlete before, plus he had $50MM left on his contract.

It's not apples to apples. 

Tkachuk is a young, healthy borderline great player with size and intensity.  They aren't trading that for less than a king's ransom.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Again, though, the ROR trade had the bonus deadline and JB incompetence as value-depressing factors, while Eichel had the injury risk, plus he wanted a type of operation that had never been performed on a major sport athlete before, plus he had $50MM left on his contract.

Tkachuk is a young, healthy borderline great player with size and intensity.  They aren't trading that for less than a king's ransom.

I just don't see a winger being worth more than a 1C

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm very confident that my position of no on a Power for Tkachuk trade is the right position to take. For me, it is not only the right call but also an easy call. Adding an inconvertible knucklehead to the room at the expense of a talented young defenseman with a lot more upside is a mistake that will become more evident as time passes on. You have been in the work world for a long time, as I have. A jerk is a jerk who disrupts the balance of the group. You don't have to be a bad person to be a toxic person that has a contaminating effect on those who work in the same vicinity. 

With respect to Power there is a misconception about him as a player just because he is not a banger, and neither is Samuelsson. He's big and strong and can skate. He's going to get better and become an anchor defenseman for us for a long time. He's not as flashy and stylistic as Dahlin. They are simply two different types of players. But there is no doubt in mind that he is going to be an instrumental player for us for a long time. Also, if you add in the fact that he is a good kid, this becomes an easy call for me. 

Power is a very young Victor Hedman

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Zero possibility? Probably.    But look at what we accepted for two players that were better than Brady is now.  Why does everyone here make trade offers where we grossly overpay?  

We have to grossly overpay because we lack leverage....other teams know Buffalo's management is desperate, or incompetent.

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

We have to grossly overpay because we lack leverage....other teams know Buffalo's management is desperate, or incompetent.

The timing of the deal is where the leverage is.  Who needs what, and how badly. 

What would you need to get this deal done. I don't know, on the radio someone was saying Savoie, Mitts, and next years first.  If, IF that is what it would take to get the deal done....rather than just do that I would take that package to the rest of the league and take offers...Adams would basically say...Savoie, Mitts, and next years first...what is the best anyone has to offer?

1 hour ago, freester said:

Power is a very young Victor Hedman

That's what I project. I try not to say it out loud because more than a few people already consider me to be a crackpot. But I believe that he will eventually be in that same lofty echelon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

That's what I project. I try not to say it out loud because more than a few people already consider me to be a crackpot. But I believe that he will eventually be in that same lofty echelon.

I’d say he’d be Hedman without any of the physical play. Power just isn’t that person 

• Agree 1

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I’d say he’d be Hedman without any of the physical play. Power just isn’t that person 

Power is still a young player with a lot more potential to draw from. He's not a banger, and never will be. However, my expectation of him, at the minimum, is to be an anchor player for us, and as he gains experience will be a top tier defenseman in this league. 

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Weegar = Power or Dahlin

Matthew has put up better numbers than Brady. 

Brady brings more from the toughness aspect because he will drop the mitts and take on just about anyone.

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Absolutely not! Power is going to be a stud anchor defenseman for a long time. That caliber of defenseman is tougher to acquire than a high end forward. Respectfully, it would be a mistake to make that proposed deal. 

Probably.  First overalls tend to be studs.  But, how long is it going to take?  The defense is struggling this year and will continue to do so next year.  Also note when Owen’s next contract kicks in next year the Sabres will have $28m dedicated to 5 defenders (including little Johnson on his final year of ELC).  And that group still has no true #2 to play alongside Dahlin.  It’s OK to disagree but there is a reason no team in the league has more than $32m across 7 players on Defense. It’s about proper appropriations of the cap.  I’d rather keep Joki on $4-4.5m deal, pick up a true 28-30 year old Defender (like Slavin or Peche) and strengthen the First FL#1 with that $8m cap number.   

15 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Probably.  First overalls tend to be studs.  But, how long is it going to take?  The defense is struggling this year and will continue to do so next year.  Also note when Owen’s next contract kicks in next year the Sabres will have $28m dedicated to 5 defenders (including little Johnson on his final year of ELC).  And that group still has no true #2 to play alongside Dahlin.  It’s OK to disagree but there is a reason no team in the league has more than $32m across 7 players on Defense. It’s about proper appropriations of the cap.  I’d rather keep Joki on $4-4.5m deal, pick up a true 28-30 year old Defender (like Slavin or Peche) and strengthen the First FL#1 with that $8m cap number.   

Very few D-men become great right away, it seems to take longer than forwards.  Sure you have guys like Makar, but it seems Power's development is not that fast.  I'd say next year he should 'bounce back' and start to play better, but MAYBE he might break that 'top 100 D-men in the league' next year, that is about it.  You want a top 50 D-man in the league guy? I'd say 2-3 more years.  Of course, I expect he will take gradual steps and going forward, get a little better each year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The timing of the deal is where the leverage is.  Who needs what, and how badly. 

Perhaps, but we need a LOT (which puts us at a disadvantage unfortunately).  Our situation puts a greater desperation and pressure on pulling off trades because of other team's players having NMC's (to which Buffalo is not a popular destination) and UFA's not wanting to sign here as well.

Well, first off, I'd also do whatever it takes because his attitude and compete (complete with the recklessness and sometimes dumb stuff) is missing from this roster and I think his presence would signal a change and would elevate many others. Everything changes, simple as that. 

Now, in a dream world, Skinner is part of the deal and I add prospects, #1 picks and whatever else it takes around that. 

If (big IF) but if I can sign Mitts to a reasonable number, then I'm giving them Tage as the centerpiece.  I notice a number of people throw Cozens in there. imo, long term, on a differently made roster with Tkachuk on it, Cozens will be the better guy to keep. Tage I am starting to think will be up and down but over the long haul will disappoint and underachieve to his contract. He just doesn't bring it the same way and I don't think he ever will. 

If I can't sign Mitts then Mitts is part of the package. 

I would be willing to deal Power but not willingly. If we did though, I'd want a second move where we add a solid defender to take his place now. 

Does he have a NTC though? If he has, he ain't coming here, I guarantee you that. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Thompson, Savoie, Rosen and this year's first (cond. lottery protected). That enough? 

Huberdeau was 29 and Weegar was 28 and both were one year away from UFA at the time of the trade. 

Power is 22 signed for additional 7 years, and has more points in His Second Year than Weegar did. 

Neither player is a good comparison at the present time. 

If a player of Tkatchuk’s Caliber is available, the Sabres have the assets to make the deal and should be first in line. 

A roster player (Tuch,Cozens, Mitts), prospect (Kulich, Savoie, Östlund)  and the 2024 First( Top Five Protected) and a 2025 2nd would probably be the ask. 

Ottawa gave up 7th Overall and 12 th Overall in back to back drafts, lost a first round pick in 2024 or 25 or 26 as a punishment in the Dandanov Trade and their prospect pool is depleted. The Sabres Pick will  be enticing in a deal. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I just don't see a winger being worth more than a 1C

OK.  We can't have a conversation if you just ignore what I say.

The Eichel trade, and the value Vegas gave up for him (and it sure seemed like they were the only serious bidder was not for "a 1C."  It was for a 1C with a major injury and contract risk.

Do you think if Eichel had been healthy, he would've yielded more in trade than what the Sabres got for him?

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

What would you need to get this deal done. I don't know, on the radio someone was saying Savoie, Mitts, and next years first.  If, IF that is what it would take to get the deal done....rather than just do that I would take that package to the rest of the league and take offers...Adams would basically say...Savoie, Mitts, and next years first...what is the best anyone has to offer?

Respectfully, there is zero possibility that Ottawa would accept this, or that anyone would give up anything remotely as good as Brady for this package.

47 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thompson, Savoie, Rosen and this year's first (cond. lottery protected). That enough? 

Yes, although I think the protections would have to be pretty limited (e.g. top 3 or something like that).

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Huberdeau was 29 and Weegar was 28 and both were one year away from UFA at the time of the trade. 

Power is 22 signed for additional 7 years, and has more points in His Second Year than Weegar did. 

Neither player is a good comparison at the present time. 

If a player of Tkatchuk’s Caliber is available, the Sabres have the assets to make the deal and should be first in line. 

A roster player (Tuch,Cozens, Mitts), prospect (Kulich, Savoie, Östlund)  and the 2024 First( Top Five Protected) and a 2025 2nd would probably be the ask. 

Ottawa gave up 7th Overall and 12 th Overall in back to back drafts, lost a first round pick in 2024 or 25 or 26 as a punishment in the Dandanov Trade and their prospect pool is depleted. The Sabres Pick will  be enticing in a deal. 

I think Matthew Tkachuk was also 1 year away from UFA -- that was why Calgary traded him, since they had just lost Gaudreau for nothing in UFA, and Tkachuk said he wouldn't sign an extension there.

Brady, OTOH, has 4 more years after this one to go on his contract.

I think Ottawa will demand more than your suggestion.  There is no way they will agree to Mitts being the best roster player coming back (and probably not Tuch either).  I agree on the prospect and the 2024 #1 though.

• Like (+1) 1