Harrington tweet indicates DG will be back next year with a new assistant staff

nfreeman

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I am OK with this on one condition, KAs and DGs career depend on it working out.

If it fails, bloodbath in the front office.

I've been wonderig lately...what would happen if KA said, "I guarantee we will make the playoffs next year, or I will resign."  How do you think the team would respond?  How would the fans respond?

If his current assistants suck (which they do), why hasn’t he stepped in to fix some issues? Are we supposed to believe it’s more on them that it is on DG?

KA sucks all around. Can’t get a good coach or assemble a roster.

7 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

I've been wonderig lately...what would happen if KA said, "I guarantee we will make the playoffs next year, or I will resign."  How do you think the team would respond?  How would the fans respond?

Players who are up for contract will play great. Players who already got their contract will suck. Fans will eye roll.

• Like (+1) 1

As mentioned above, Harrington doesn’t exactly have sources in the Sabres Front Office, compared to Lance Lysowski. 
He is working off the assumption that Pegula doesn’t want to pay Granato 3.8 million over two seasons not to coach. 

I still believe that Matt Ellis and Mike Bales survive any assist coach purge 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

I am OK with this on one condition, KAs and DGs career depend on it working out.

If it fails, bloodbath in the front office.

I am not OK with it.

I will say though that KA choosing to keep DG on after a season like this, if that's how it plays out, should be treated by TP in the same way as KA choosing to hire a new coach -- and as you say, they both need to be fired if it doesn't work.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm good with this.

Really?

Please explain.  Not being argumentative -- I would just like to hear your reasoning.  To me they are crying out for a new coach.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Mike Weber and Mike Peca leave for NHL asst coaching jobs on other teams and no one blinks.   

They stick with DG’s and his crew.  The team falters and now the report is they scapegoat the assistant coaches and not the coach or GM. 

If this is true then Pegula/Adams are even worse than I thought. 

It's an interesting question as to whether better assistants would've made a difference this season.

I think a team's attitude and mentality usually reflects that of the head coach.

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Mike Harrington does not have team sources. He is making an educated guess.  

I agree -- but it's a bummer that this is our last, best hope.

And I don't think we can be confident that this outcome isn't at least 50% likely.

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

As mentioned above, Harrington doesn’t exactly have sources in the Sabres Front Office, compared to Lance Lysowski. 
He is working off the assumption that Pegula doesn’t want to pay Granato 3.8 million over two seasons not to coach. 

Has Lysowski issued a prediction on DG?

In any case I would be shocked if eating DG's salary affected this decision.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I am not OK with it.

I will say though that KA choosing to keep DG on after a season like this, if that's how it plays out, should be treated by TP in the same way as KA choosing to hire a new coach -- and as you say, they both need to be fired if it doesn't work.

Really?

Please explain.  Not being argumentative -- I would just like to hear your reasoning.  To me they are crying out for a new coach.

My reasoning? And I may be wrong but here goes.... The team was much better last year with the same head coach... What's different? Assistant coaches.

They are getting better goaltending if every nothing else would have been the same, they'd be a much better team. What's the difference? Production from the first line and cousins. All of them have had more injuries this year than last year. The power play, to me that is coaching but that's more the assistant coaches than the head coach who runs that.

Sure, it's a lot to go on, but I think DG as head coach but with a different assistant coaches and a healthier roster means this is a much better team.

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I am not OK with it.

Really?

It's an interesting question as to whether better assistants would've made a difference this season.

I think a team's attitude and mentality usually reflects that of the head coach.

I agree -- but it's a bummer that this is our last, best hope.

And I don't think we can be confident that this outcome isn't at least 50% likely.

Has Lysowski issued a prediction on DG?

In any case I would be shocked if eating DG's salary affected this decision.

No he has not. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

My reasoning? And I may be wrong but here goes.... The team was much better last year with the same head coach... What's different? Assistant coaches.

They are getting better goaltending if every nothing else would have been the same, they'd be a much better team. What's the difference? Production from the first line and cousins. All of them have had more injuries this year than last year. The power play, to me that is coaching but that's more the assistant coaches than the head coach who runs that.

Sure, it's a lot to go on, but I think DG as head coach but with a different assistant coaches and a healthier roster means this is a much better team.

Much of this is reasonable, but I can't get past, or forgive, the countless number of games this season in which they just came out in a coma.  Over and freaking over they were not mentally ready to play at the opening puck drop.  To me that's on DG.  But I appreciate your response and that YMMV.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Kevyn Adams is far more detrimental to this franchise than Meatballs is. 

My depth chart for most important moves for this franchise is as follows: 

1. Pegula sells the team to somebody who keeps it in Buffalo.
2. Get a new GM

3. Replace Donnie 

Don't get me wrong.  Coaching is a problem and is likely a problem no matter who is GM and owner. But I truly believe Terry Pegula is a worse owner and Kevyn Adams is a worse GM than Granato is a hockey coach by some margin. 

Not being able to win a faceoff, play defense, go in front of the net is not a coaching problem? 

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Gee, I wonder how this is going to work out?

The question presumes Donny stays on as HC.  Harrington answered the question without commenting on that presumption.  That, to me, does not indicate Harrington thinks Donny is staying.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Not being able to win a faceoff, play defense, go in front of the net is not a coaching problem? 

I didn't say any of that. 

We are poorly run from the top down.

Pegula struggles to find quality hockey people and/or give the the freedom to operate.
Kevin Adams over values the prospects we have in the system and his baseline vision for the roster is flawed at best.
Donnie isn't getting the most of what we have. 
________
If you solve Donnie you have an unqualfied guy you still have a flawed roster and an even more flawed person assembling it. 
If you solve Adams you have a better hockey man but a meddlesome owner. 
If you solve Pegula you stand a chance to put the pieces in place down the line. 

This isn't a get out of jail free card for meatballs. I just think upgrading Donnie first is simply delaying the inevitable. He is the symptom not the disease. 

I am fine with that as long as at least one of the top 6 forwards is trade. The Buffalo Sabres are too comfortable so are many Sabres fans with excuses and losing. I don’t like some of the things coming out of Rasmus Dahlin about they are all friends and decide to sign with Buffalo long term together. Sabres players are too comfortable. Alex Tuch is the one to move to really shake up that Sabres locker room that there is a price you pay when you don’t meet expectations. I also like the idea of trade Alex Tuch because it will also surprise some Sabres fans that are too comfortable with excuse making and losing. Alex Tuch and Dylan Cozens are overrated Sabres fan favorites they would be the first two players traded in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • dislike 3

What kind of assistants come in to work for a losing HC that has thrown his staff under the bus, so to speak, as some condition that he maintain his own position? Yes men! The whole notion reeks of dishonor.  That's how players will see it, as well, regardless of how they may guard their public sentiment.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Much of this is reasonable, but I can't get past, or forgive, the countless number of games this season in which they just came out in a coma.  Over and freaking over they were not mentally ready to play at the opening puck drop.  To me that's on DG.  But I appreciate your response and that YMMV.

It’s on DG for sure, but it’s also on the players.  

They have a leadership void on the team, they are friends and a “good group” but no one to effectively lead the team all call out the bad play.  Could be that their  players are still too young?   Kyle tries, but he is not doing it enough. Z is a quiet guy.   

next captain: 

Tuch is a good guy, but a person close to the team told me right away, his first year here, he is not a captain type. 

Dahlin is harder on himself than anyone else. 

Cozens maybe down the road, if they don’t ruin him.  

As for DG, the team reflects his personality to some extent.   Teams tend to do that. 

Bottom line is the best captains have to be both pricks and mentors to everyone equally.   That takes carrying a status that comes with experience and performance and being fearless.    Most younger players can’t pull it off. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

I didn't say any of that. 

We are poorly run from the top down.

Pegula struggles to find quality hockey people and/or give the the freedom to operate.
Kevin Adams over values the prospects we have in the system and his baseline vision for the roster is flawed at best.
Donnie isn't getting the most of what we have. 
________
If you solve Donnie you have an unqualfied guy you still have a flawed roster and an even more flawed person assembling it. 
If you solve Adams you have a better hockey man but a meddlesome owner. 
If you solve Pegula you stand a chance to put the pieces in place down the line. 

This isn't a get out of jail free card for meatballs. I just think upgrading Donnie first is simply delaying the inevitable. He is the symptom not the disease. 

Pegula is more detached than meddlesome these days.  I assume he is focused on wife, family, businesses, stadium, Bills - in that order.  At least now with the NFL over.  I bet he “ gets involved “ in the draft, which means he gets the seat next to Beane in the war room. 

He gave Adams his orders, the EEE Doctrine, they agreed, and this is now on Adams, the good soldier,  to do it.   It’s a slow, low cost, unproven way to build a team. 

Look at the contracts given out to unproven players that could have been bridged.  They are betting the farm on Power and Cozens so far.    It appears there  is no plan to spend big dollars on players home grown.  This might be a big factor in the lack of significant trades.   Not saying they can’t adjust the plan, they can.  

If Terry ever wants to hire proven winners, he has to listen to them.  Which is why I dont see a Gallant/ Berube type ever agreeing to come here.  They like a veteran roster.  No top coach wants  24 year old on average team.  Most teams average 28-29.  Big difference.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am fine with that as long as at least one of the top 6 forwards is trade. The Buffalo Sabres are too comfortable so are many Sabres fans with excuses and losing. I don’t like some of the things coming out of Rasmus Dahlin about they are all friends and decide to sign with Buffalo long term together. Sabres players are too comfortable. Alex Tuch is the one to move to really shake up that Sabres locker room that there is a price you pay when you don’t meet expectations. I also like the idea of trade Alex Tuch because it will also surprise some Sabres fans that are too comfortable with excuse making and losing. Alex Tuch and Dylan Cozens are overrated Sabres fan favorites they would be the first two players traded in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just when I thought you couldn't get worse ... 

Yeah, that is what Adams needs to do.  Straighten out the Sabres fans.  How dare they like any players on this team, especially Tuch and Cozens.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It’s on DG for sure, but it’s also on the players.  

They have a leadership void on the team, they are friends and a “good group” but no one to effectively lead the team all call out the bad play.  Could be that their  players are still too young?   Kyle tries, but he is not doing it enough. Z is a quiet guy.   

next captain: 

Tuch is a good guy, but a person close to the team told me right away, his first year here, he is not a captain type. 

Dahlin is harder on himself than anyone else. 

Cozens maybe down the road, if they don’t ruin him.  

As for DG, the team reflects his personality to some extent.   Teams tend to do that. 

Bottom line is the best captains have to be both pricks and mentors to everyone equally.   That takes carrying a status that comes with experience and performance and being fearless.    Most younger players can’t pull it off. 

I totally agree, and this is a roster construction flaw that KA is accountable for.

Still, I don't think DG is the right guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And that is a very good assumption. The one thing the Sabres do best is pay coaches to not coach 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.