Harrington tweet indicates DG will be back next year with a new assistant staff

nfreeman

57 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yes.  One last chance.  But they need to hire assistants who have experience. ....lots of experience.   
honest question, could they hire Peca away from Rangers if they place assistant head coach on him? 

The way I will know that at least HCDG is serious about improving is if he hires someone who could replace him and be respected around the league.  I could live with Gerard Gallant and Bruce Boudreau as assistants under Don Granato.  (I would bet heavily against that staff happening, however, but it gets my point across.)

Just now, Marvin said:

The way I will know that at least HCDG is serious about improving is if he hires someone who could replace him and be respected around the league.  I could live with Gerard Gallant and Bruce Boudreau as assistants under Don Granato.  (I would bet heavily against that staff happening, however, but it gets my point across.)

Lindy never believed in it. Of course the hockey department spending was parsimonious then as well.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, if you gave me 6 years to make the playoffs, I could be GM. That’s too long of a timeline for Adams 

There’s no argument to bring him back if you miss the playoffs your first 5 years 

Didn't say Adams SHOULD be back if they miss the playoffs again this year and next.  Said the expectation is that he'll still be back for 1 final run.

Your beef should be with Pegula.

20 hours ago, Mango said:

I didn't say any of that. 

We are poorly run from the top down.

Pegula struggles to find quality hockey people and/or give the the freedom to operate.
Kevin Adams over values the prospects we have in the system and his baseline vision for the roster is flawed at best.
Donnie isn't getting the most of what we have. 
________
If you solve Donnie you have an unqualfied guy you still have a flawed roster and an even more flawed person assembling it. 
If you solve Adams you have a better hockey man but a meddlesome owner. 
If you solve Pegula you stand a chance to put the pieces in place down the line. 

This isn't a get out of jail free card for meatballs. I just think upgrading Donnie first is simply delaying the inevitable. He is the symptom not the disease. 

The thing is Pegula is most likely not going anywhere. So you have a Kevyn Adams and Don Granato problem, they both need to be solved for guys that have been there and done that....Some how, some way.

50 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

How about Peca and a bunch of guys with a lot of experience? 

How about just a bunch of guys with alot of experience.

Peca can continue to learn on the job elsewhere and come here ready to win in a few years when the next guy had worn out his welcome.

10 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Any speculation on who the assistants will be? 

Jay McKee?

Gaustad?

I don’t see much on their resumes to support it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

The worst part is that the Sabres allegedly have a reputation around the league of firing guys too fast.

Let us look at us logically.

First, the positive.  Miraculously, just before the All Star Break, the Sabres were 16th in regulation wins.  Also, just before the break, the Sabres were NHL .500 against the top 12 teams by points in the league and can strangle the best offences in the league. The Sabres are apparently positive on 5-on-5 goal differential.  Ukko Pekka-Lukkonen is in the top 25% of goalies in save percentage.  These look like the statistics of a team who should be in the conversation for a playoff spot.

Now, the negative.  They are inexplicably horrible at home for the 2nd straight season.  They are awful in the first period.  The power play is execrable.  Defencive awareness, let alone coverage, is spotty at best.  Face-offs are at best a problem.  They are dead last in forcing OT when behind by 1.  Back-up goaltending has been spotty.  The team looks unsure of what to do when they have the puck.  They often look like a team that is plunging in the standings.

What do the above tell you about the coaches?  One thing it tells me is that the fundamental structure of Donnie's system is solid, but the players have not internalised their roles and responsibilities within the system.  There is something fundamentally wrong with mental game-day preparation.  Not only do the players and prospects seem to have the same strengths, but they also appear to have the same weaknesses.

Good post.   I’m not convinced that DG’s system is solid, but you certainly nailed it.  

Watch the games, most nights they are boys versus men. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Any speculation on who the assistants will be? 

Jay McKee?

Gaustad?

Peters/Rivet?

Duff/Biron?

Krueger/Housley?

Bylsma/Rolston?

Hasek/Nolan?

Miller/Ott?

Dudley/Schoenfeld?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

How about Peca and a bunch of guys with a lot of experience? 

Isn't that what happened (kind of) with Krueger and Granato...etc?  What about Housley and his assistants?  Sorry, but IMHO it has to be a HC with LOTS of experience and a proven record.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.