Harrington tweet indicates DG will be back next year with a new assistant staff

nfreeman

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Still wish the title could be tweaked to something like Harrington thinks if DG is back it's likely he'll have new staff.

It was not meant to be reporting that DG will return.

While I agree that Harrington wasn't reporting that DG will return (which is why the thread title says "indicates" and not "says" or "reports"), I don't think the bolded is the correct interpretation either.

Harrington responded "Very high" to this question:  "What are the chances that meatball cleans house and brings in a news coaching team to assist him at seasons end?"

He didn't say:  "If DG is retained, he will probably bring in new assistants."

And the question he was asked wasn't:  "What are the chances that if DG is retained as coach, he cleans house and brings in a new staff?"

I think that if Harrington didn't think DG would be back, he would've said more than "very high" in response to the question he was asked.

Do you not think that Harrington thinks DG will be back?

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

While I agree that Harrington wasn't reporting that DG will return (which is why the thread title says "indicates" and not "says" or "reports"), I don't think the bolded is the correct interpretation either.

Harrington responded "Very high" to this question:  "What are the chances that meatball cleans house and brings in a news coaching team to assist him at seasons end?"

He didn't say:  "If DG is retained, he will probably bring in new assistants."

And the question he was asked wasn't:  "What are the chances that if DG is retained as coach, he cleans house and brings in a new staff?"

I think that if Harrington didn't think DG would be back, he would've said more than "very high" in response to the question he was asked.

Do you not think that Harrington thinks DG will be back?

Mike's on record that DG will be back bc of Terry's penny pinching.

But it all falls short of reporting. I still think the word indicate is too strong.

Anyway I just realized it says news coaching staff. Apparently Mike thinks he'll finally get Lindy's wish.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

If it's true Terry is ready to spend again maybe it's a good sign. Maybe good soldiers Adams and Granato will get plum reassignments and we'll have real management and coaching next year.

How about this, which is without the benefit of going inside the Sabres, doing a real evaluation to see what is going on, and purely on my view as a fan:  

1. Adams can do a lateral (maybe) move to run the business side, making room for the new NHL experienced GM.   Karmonos will be one of the people interviewed for the GM position, but not the only one, real competition will also be brought in to interview.  I say this because Karmonos may be the best qualified guy to even consider coming to Buffalo, and it shows the smart young bucks out there that growth from within is possible. 

2.  The new GM and Adams will be the direct reports to Terry, but the coach will report to the GM. 

3.  The new coach search will prioritize NHL experience and have a proven track record of winning.  He would be picked by the GM and he will be allowed to select his own coaching staff.  The new coach will have input to the GM on the roster.  Any good coach will want this anyway.  

4. DG  will be offered a developmental coaching role, not on the bench, but helping the development of NHL/AHL/ECHL players and monitoring prospects in Jr, NCAA, etc.  I expect DG would pass on it but this is a way to play to his strength and keep him while on his current contract, and maybe it enhances the draft and develop side.  

5.  The analytics side can remain and so can the rookie scouting.   Maybe some upgrades to the pro scouting are in order too. 

This is a way to get fresh and more experienced NHL level hockey people into hockey operations, to expand hockey operations, and still offer opportunity for the talent we currently have in the FO.

Terry and Kevyn, if you are out there, I usually get paid for advice, but feel free to use any of this.  Just fix this team before there is nothing left of it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Here is what I think will happen:

- After the season one or two assistant coaches and/or Rochester coaches will be either let go or reassigned and there will be at least one new assistant on the Sabres' staff next year who is not currently in the org

- Starting as soon as the trade deadline this season and through off-season free agency, there will be at least three player acquisitions that will address missing elements; specifically they will target veteran players who play with edge/grit.  At least one of our top forward prospects will be traded in these deals.

- Granato will be back to start next season and keeps his job if things go well (ie: they start well and stay in a playoff spot); he will be a mid-season firing though if next year goes south like this season has

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Punch, that's great. But it doesn't of course address ownership involvement.

How much did the Knoxes get in your business?

From what I know, they knew what was going on but did not drive hockey decisions or get involved in drafts, trades, etc.  They trusted the people they hired,  Imlach and Bowman, because they hired people that won at the NHL level and that knew a lot, obviously more then they did.  I can't see Scotty Bowman asking permission to make a trade or make a draft pick.  

Even when they hired Meehan, a first time GM,  they knew they had a solid guy.  He stayed in Buffalo and went to Canisius and UB to get a law degree.  Then he worked for their team lawyers (Bob Swados) firm, then he helped Bowman on the contracts side and became AGM under Bowman.  So even that hire, although a first time GM, was a hockey guy that they knew had a big brain.  

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So the Athletic’s group of hockey writers now predicts DG to be the next coach fired.

Not a moment too soon, imo.

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So the Athletic’s group of hockey writers now predicts DG to be the next coach fired.

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

I think he's the 7th longest tenured coach and hasn't made the playoffs?  That's an easy "prediction" to make.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I like Donnie. He was good enough to help some of these kids progress but not good enough to get the job done. I don't love calling him out live in real time. It is harsh. But I also get it. You lost to the worst team in the league 9-4 at home in a season that was supposed to be pushing the 100 point mark. We may very well finish below 80. The whole thing is a tremendous let down for everybody. 

Any org can want to stay whatever course all they want unless they either:
1. lose the locker room or
2. lose the fan base.

As much as hearing a couple thousand people chanting for you to lose your job is a tough pill to swallow for everybody in the locker room, the final nail in DG's coffin was ultimately pounded in when the players told local reporters they were turning on the fan base. That is a sure fire way for at least one if not a few people to get fired. 

Had they limped through the season and silently hate forked this fanbase with a .500 record to close the year I think Donnie would have been back to coach them next year. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They should wait I do not want them going on some fake run and matt ellis gets the job 

No way this happens.....Matty will be one of the sacrificial lambs while they keep Granato next season.  The changes in the assistant coaches will be the so-called shakeup that ownership will hope pleases the fans....ha ha!

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

No way this happens.....Matty will be one of the sacrificial lambs while they keep Granato next season.  The changes in the assistant coaches will be the so-called shakeup that ownership will hope pleases the fans....ha ha!

He should of had a whole new coaching staff this year  He got his chance He's going down with everyone

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.