Samuelsson out for the remainder of the Season

Brawndo

At this point calling Samuelsson “muel” is like in cartoons where the fat guy is called “tiny” 

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, if any season is a good one to fix a body ailment, this one is one of the 13 to get it done I guess.

Heal up Muel, come back ready to roll next season.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

@Sabres Fan in NSyou can deal out all the red Xs u like because you have no way to actually refute my argument- but it’s a pretty poor reflection of your unwillingness to admit you are objectively wrong. 

I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed 

Spare me.

Your arguement does not stand up.

He is a top 4 D.  He is paid reasonable money for what he brings to the team.

He was oft injured prior to signing his contract.  The Sabres knew that.  The Sabres did not pay for his future, they paid for his present.  He is what he is.  

He is worth his $4.3M per season for another 6 years.

This season ending 'surgery' (not an injury exactly)will likely help him play more going forward.  His style of play will lead to injuries, but he is still worth his contract.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Spare me.

Your arguement does not stand up.

He is a top 4 D.  He is paid reasonable money for what he brings to the team.

He was oft injured prior to signing his contract.  The Sabres new that.  The Sabres did not pay for his future, they paid for his present.  He is what he is.  

He is worth his $4.3M per season for another 6 years.

This season ending 'surgery' (not an injury exactly)will likely help him play more going forward.  His style of play will lead to injuries, but he is still worth his contract.

Paid for his present, which might be too much, but is certainly inarguably not an underpay, at the risk of a contract boat anchor because of his injury status. We could have everything we are getting from Samuelsson, but without the risk. Instead, we have a bunch of risk. There was no league wide precedent for signing a guy for that long with only a handful of professional games. No need to commit anytime soon. The likelihood of his injuries presenting a long term availability issue is significantly, inarguably higher than the liklihood he offensively pops off the the tune of ever earning a bigger contract.

Awful contract. Needless commitment during the beating heart of the “we wAHnt players who wAHnt to be here111” era. A misfire of shallow, obvious messaging. A masterclass revelatory farce from Kevyn Adams 

Thanks for playing

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 3

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Really?  I mean I get that he is our only prospect in the AHL now that Ryan Johnson is up, but man this seems rushed.  

I suspect we get more Bryson - or maybe Clague/Stillman.  

This doesn't mean he is going to stay in Buffalo.  He is a defenseman with size who skates well.  Why not give him a few games to see how ready he is or isn't?  It's not like we are competing for the Cup this season.

Get well soon Muel.

Your legend will grow with every game you miss.

I think the reason Muel is not more physical along the boards and in front of the net is because he always seems to be nursing something. 

I keep expecting him to grow into a more physical, take care of your net front and sidewalls kinda defensemen but then I remember who his dad is. 

Least physical 6'7" defensemen in league history.

Actually felt bad for the guy because he always had to answer other teams goons and he took a beating every time. 

This is bad for Mule, good for Ryan Johnson. Ryan projects to be the same kind of dman as Mule, so he should be able to pick up some of these assignments. I think he has such a high defensive awareness for a young player he could surprise us all if he gets another 3-4 minutes a game. 

7 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This move smells like another excuse for a bottom 5 finish to me. 

I hate that that's my immediate thought but it is.

Realistically, the Sabres aren't going to make the playoffs without a really improbable run (like 12 wins in a row and then still being better than they've shown so far). If this is one of those, "you'll be fully healed by the fall things" then might as well.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This move smells like another excuse for a bottom 5 finish to me. 

I hate that that's my immediate thought but it is.

It doesn't to me. He's a 3rd pairing defender who's been mostly bad all year. If you think losing a 3rd pairing defender is a valid excuse than I can't argue cuz that's a legit feeling, but to me it's not an excuse.  They will draft top 10 and Granato and Adams are to blame. More so to blame now because the Samuelsson contract was always questionable and Adams won't do ***** to fix yet another defensive hole. 

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't to me. He's a 3rd pairing defender who's been mostly bad all year. If you think losing a 3rd pairing defender is a valid excuse than I can't argue cuz that's a legit feeling, but to me it's not an excuse.  They will draft top 10 and Granato and Adams are to blame. More so to blame now because the Samuelsson contract was always questionable and Adams won't do ***** to fix yet another defensive hole. 

I know the loss isn't that great, especially with the way Muel has been playing lately anyways.

That's why I can hear Adams already, excusing away another bottom 5 finish instead of making the changes they need. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Oh Muel, why can't you just stay healthy?

So far his contract hasn't been working out, but the good news is he's locked in at a rate that will only look better as time goes on and the cap rises. 

I was fine with the contract at the time of its signing; felt it was a little rich but a livable deal nonetheless. So far its been an abject disaster due to Muel being made of glass. However, he has shown signs in the past of being a solid defensive defenseman and perhaps this surgery will fix whatever has ailed him this year and we can look to a better Muel in the future.

Thorny, must you look to agitate the masses with an "I told you so" when its not all that impressive when you aren't exactly positive about much to begin with. It's like celebrating throwing a baseball into the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This may hurt the most on the Penalty kill unit. Only EJ had more ice time on the entire team on the PK (and who knows if he will finish the season here)

Sabres PK is at its best with the tall/big guys with the long reach out there, so they can cover as many of the shooting/passing lanes as possible without getting out of position.  Who takes those minutes on the PK?  Clifton I guess, but I'd rather have Samuelsson out there on the PK than Clifton?  Power?  Nope, don't want him on the PK at all right now, he needs his minutes even strength.

45 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So far his contract hasn't been working out, but the good news is he's locked in at a rate that will only look better as time goes on and the cap rises. 

I was fine with the contract at the time of its signing; felt it was a little rich but a livable deal nonetheless. So far its been an abject disaster due to Muel being made of glass. However, he has shown signs in the past of being a solid defensive defenseman and perhaps this surgery will fix whatever has ailed him this year and we can look to a better Muel in the future.

I'm there with you. A young guy who is VERY injury prone but has had very good stretches of play (especially for his age) even though it isn't all the time.

He's at about 5% of the cap now. He won't be even hitting his prime until close to the end of his deal (D-men usually continue to get better through their late 20's and even early 30's)  Unless he is 100% totally shot and useless because of injuries....even a somewhat 'injury prone' guy who is likely to get better with experience might be well worth it at the number that will soon be UNDER 5% of the cap.

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Thorny, must you look to agitate the masses with an "I told you so" when its not all that impressive when you aren't exactly positive about much to begin with. It's like celebrating throwing a baseball into the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship.

Predicted Skinner’s return to form

Predicted Dahlin’s. Defended Dahlin when everyone was down on him during Krueger years.

Defended Reinhart and Casey Mittelstadt. Advocated for giving Casey time.

Staunchly defended our Captain, Jack Eichel: I’m positive all the time about our guys. You are conflating “not often positive” with “don’t often agree with your take”

And, I gotta say, Chewie, that being well familiar with your takes: I’m good with that for now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.