Samuelsson out for the remainder of the Season

Brawndo

On 10/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, Thorny said:

Regardless of what the singular Mike Peca was paid decade ago, the fact remains that it’s points that pay. The amount of value the Sabres realistically stand to gain here is negligible. Samuelsson was not going to realistically earn more than a 30 mil deal anytime soon. 

This deal is about their analytics evaluation, but they are coating it in messaging about “we will take care of you”. 

In the end, it comes to the same thing: if he’s good, the deal is fine. I personally just don’t think the small amount we might very unlikely potentially lose by waiting is worth jumping the gun to get either the value they seek or the vibes they wish to stoke. 

You are conflating two things - the idea of locking up a player before they’ve established what their prime output is, and locking up a player before committing a full NHL season to record. Perhaps it is a sliding spectrum, but there’s a fair bit of separation between the two players you listed, who both had 2 successful NHL seasons under their belt, and Samuelsson, who had .5 of one. 

As mentioned, the theory makes sense. But there are degrees of intensity here and the Sabres are certainly REALLY pushing the envelope here re: limited data 

Called it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Called it 

I still think he is worth his contract.  It's a fair and reasonable contract for both.  Stuff happens in hockey.

Also, you think the Sabre PR department would proof the post and make sure to spell his name right.  Mickey Mouse operation, at best.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I still think he is worth his contract.  It's a fair and reasonable contract for both.  Stuff happens in hockey.

Also, you think the Sabre PR department would proof the post and make sure to spell his name right.  Mickey Mouse operation, at best.

It’s worth it: at best 

that was always my point 

What would samuelsson cost on a long term deal today? He certainly wouldn’t cost more than what we paid 

the messaging itself was as much the endgame as any potential future value. Maybe they even knew that, but it’s backfired so far. As of now there has been zero justification for that contract 

Edited by Thorny
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Get well soon.

Ryan Johnson, the next man up.

Novikov get your suitcase ready.  I feel a visit to Buffalo is coming.  

Really?  I mean I get that he is our only prospect in the AHL now that Ryan Johnson is up, but man this seems rushed.  

I suspect we get more Bryson - or maybe Clague/Stillman.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s worth it: at best 

that was always my point 

What would samuelsson cost on a long term deal today? He certainly wouldn’t cost more than what we paid 

the messaging itself was as much the endgame as any potential future value. Maybe they even knew that, but it’s backfired so far. As of now there has been zero justification for that contract 

I have removed the beer thingie I sent you after your edit.

What are you talking about in your last paragraph ??

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Who the F is "Samelsson"?   Spelling used to be important.   

Even the PR/Communication department is crap.   

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Indeed.

(insert winkie thingie here)

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

5 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I have removed the beer thingie I sent you after your edit.

What are you talking about in your last paragraph ??

Indeed.

(insert winkie thingie here)

you bastage 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Really?  I mean I get that he is our only prospect in the AHL now that Ryan Johnson is up, but man this seems rushed.  

I suspect we get more Bryson - or maybe Clague/Stillman.  

Stillman isn’t a realistic option.  He’s been pretty bad in Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Sabres Fan in NS I meant that the contract hasn’t been justified yet: there isn’t a viable reason why we’d want that commitment right now. If we could take the deal back, we should: we would avoid being locked in long term to a player we have literally no need to sign to a risky contract 

there’s no value to gain. I was right, I’m sorry. He’s not worth a 7 year deal right now - we aren’t gaining anything, there’s no underpay, he’s at best accurately paid, and we could have that without the needless commitment because he’s never going to earn more than a 30 million dollar contract 

there’s never been a player more accurately described as a “concept”. Remember he was our “mvp” last year? We are significantly worse by record with him in the lineup this year 

he’s JAG and he set the standard for JAG contracts. I don’t have much inclination to beat around the bush here because I’m objectively correct: it’s not a good contract, and I’ve been saying it for years. Why back down now 

Edited by Thorny
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.