GDT: Sabres @ Pens - Sat. 7 pm ET, Jan 6, 2024 MSG-B, SN-PIT, ESPN+ ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Spoonman

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I have made the arguement that the Penguins did not tank in either situation you described above.ย  Mario is close.ย  The Penguins still stunk with Mario.ย  Jagr was draffted 5 or 6 years after Mario.ย  Jagr was a rookie when the Penguins won their first cup in 1991.ย  What put them over the top was the fabulous trade with Hartford.

They were lucky to be terrible when Crosby was available in the draft.ย  And then Malkin.

Usually works quite well bringing in some vets to help support the young skilled players.

Let's look at the last 5 years of cup winning teams and vets that were brought in not to long before their championships.

Vegas- Barbashev, Pietrangelo, Quick, and Stone

Colorado- Cogliano, Helm, Ladri, Kuemper, Lehkonen, and Manson

Tampa (2yrs)- Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, McDonagh, Savard, and Schenn

St. Louis- ROR and Perron

ย 

Who has Adams brought in from outside the organization that brings a winning mentality?

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I have made the arguement that the Penguins did not tank in either situation you described above.ย  Mario is close.ย  The Penguins still stunk with Mario.ย  Jagr was draffted 5 or 6 years after Mario.ย  Jagr was a rookie when the Penguins won their first cup in 1991.ย  What put them over the top was the fabulous trade with Hartford.

They were lucky to be terrible when Crosby was available in the draft.ย  Same for Malkin a year earlier.

It's been awhile since I looked it up to make sure I had it right but I believe the Sabres had the same shot at Sid as the Pens did.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

They were lucky to be terrible when Crosby was available in the draft.ย  Same for Malkin a year earlier.

They lost on purpose to draft Mario.ย  They said it, and it happened, and everyone knew it.ย  This was pre lottery, and it had a stink all over it.ย ย 

Don't call it a tank if you don't want to, but that was the first ever "lose on purpose" that I had ever seen or heard about publicly.ย  ย They still stunk for about 4 more years, and then Jagr fell to them in 1990 in the 5 spot.ย  He was taken after such stalwarts as Owen Nolan, Petr Nedved, Keith Primueax and Mike Ricci. Talk about luck, and it didn't end there.ย ย 

For Crosby, they lucked out in goofy post lock out lottery when they had the same number of balls as Buffalo.ย  The four bottom teams had 3 balls each - Pitts, Buff, CBJ, and NYR.ย  ย Pittsburgh picked first (Crosby) and Buffalo fell to lucky 13th (Zagrapan - never played a game in the NHL).ย  ย They got Malkin 2OA the year prior.ย ย 

I really hate the Pens almost as much as the Leaves.ย ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Dickin' around is fun.ย 

And agree Sabres need to win....

As much as I would celebrate the two wins in a row, I don't see it.ย  It's just like the Sunday Night NFL game.ย  Call me a pessimist or a realist.ย  This could possibly be the start of this colder weather.

30 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

As much as I would celebrate the two wins in a row, I don't see it.ย  It's just like the Sunday Night NFL game.ย  Call me a pessimist or a realist.ย  This could possibly be the start of this colder weather.

too good to be true disney GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MISabresFan said:

Ya never know. A lucky puck bounce here, a capitalized on opportunity there....

I'm optimistic, Sabres 4, Pens 3

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's been awhile since I looked it up to make sure I had it right but I believe the Sabres had the same shot at Sid as the Pens did.

Yeah, they each had the same amount of balls. Could you imagine Crosby with Drury, Briere, Roy, Vanek etc. Legitimate chance at a cup.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think Miller was the guy in net. Too many head scratching goals allowed overall and seemed fragile emotionally. I'd still take Miller over the goalies the past 12 years have offered us, though. Without questionย 

Regarding tonight's game, 7-4 Sabres win. Would love to see them score the first goal again to take control.ย ย 

Start the winning streak

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They lost on purpose to draft Mario.ย  They said it, and it happened, and everyone knew it.ย  This was pre lottery, and it had a stink all over it.ย ย 

Don't call it a tank if you don't want to, but that was the first ever "lose on purpose" that I had ever seen or heard about publicly.ย  ย They still stunk for about 4 more years, and then Jagr fell to them in 1990 in the 5 spot.ย  He was taken after such stalwarts as Owen Nolan, Petr Nedved, Keith Primueax and Mike Ricci. Talk about luck, and it didn't end there.ย ย 

For Crosby, they lucked out in goofy post lock out lottery when they had the same number of balls as Buffalo.ย  The four bottom teams had 3 balls each - Pitts, Buff, CBJ, and NYR.ย  ย Pittsburgh picked first (Crosby) and Buffalo fell to lucky 13th (Zagrapan - never played a game in the NHL).ย  ย They got Malkin 2OA the year prior.ย ย 

I really hate the Pens almost as much as the Leaves.ย ย 

ย 

They lost the lottery for Ovechkin and had to โ€œsettleโ€ for Malkin. If they had landed Ovechkin, they would have had lesser odds in the Crosby lottery coming out of the lockout. So who knows how the balls fall if they had Ovechkin instead.ย 
ย 

That was one hell of a consolation prize right there. Outside of Crosby, that draft was incredibly weak. Settling for the second best hall of famer one year, helping you luck your way into one of the best who ever lived the following yearโ€ฆ sign me up please.ย 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Letโ€™s go. Enough dickinโ€™ around. Time to string a few together and get back in this thing.ย 

Pittsburg, Ottawa, Seattle, Anaheim, Chicago and San Jose twice in their next 10. ย All winnable games. ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, shrader said:

They lost the lottery for Ovechkin and had to โ€œsettleโ€ for Malkin. If they had landed Ovechkin, they would have had lesser odds in the Crosby lottery coming out of the lockout. So who knows how the balls fall if they had Ovechkin instead.ย 
ย 

That was one hell of a consolation prize right there. Outside of Crosby, that draft was incredibly weak. Settling for the second best hall of famer one year, helping you luck your way into one of the best who ever lived the following yearโ€ฆ sign me up please.ย 

The NHL would never allow Buffalo to have 1 OA when a generational player is available, that's played out ๐Ÿคฃย 

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Havenโ€™t the personnel involved admitted outright to tanking for Mario?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The day the Whalers died.

***** you Ed Johnston, worst GM in the history of American pro sports.

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Havenโ€™t the personnel involved admitted outright to tanking for Mario?

No, they did. Coach, at least. I donโ€™t think youโ€™d ever get a stronger admission than thatย 

X be damnedย 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm ready to hear sid the kid 5 thousand timesย 

Don't remind me.

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, they did. Coach, at least. I donโ€™t think youโ€™d ever get a stronger admission than thatย 

X be damnedย 

GM as well.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.