GDT: Sabres @ Pens - Sat. 7 pm ET, Jan 6, 2024 MSG-B, SN-PIT, ESPN+ πŸ“Ί WGR πŸ“»

Spoonman

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Usually works quite well bringing in some vets to help support the young skilled players.

Let's look at the last 5 years of cup winning teams and vets that were brought in not to long before their championships.

Vegas- Barbashev, Pietrangelo, Quick, and Stone

Colorado- Cogliano, Helm, Ladri, Kuemper, Lehkonen, and Manson

Tampa (2yrs)- Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, McDonagh, Savard, and Schenn

St. Louis- ROR and Perron

Β 

Who has Adams brought in from outside the organization that brings a winning mentality?

Β 

Eric’s Johnson?

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They lost on purpose to draft Mario.Β  They said it, and it happened, and everyone knew it.Β  This was pre lottery, and it had a stink all over it.Β Β 

Don't call it a tank if you don't want to, but that was the first ever "lose on purpose" that I had ever seen or heard about publicly.Β  Β They still stunk for about 4 more years, and then Jagr fell to them in 1990 in the 5 spot.Β  He was taken after such stalwarts as Owen Nolan, Petr Nedved, Keith Primueax and Mike Ricci. Talk about luck, and it didn't end there.Β Β 

For Crosby, they lucked out in goofy post lock out lottery when they had the same number of balls as Buffalo.Β  The four bottom teams had 3 balls each - Pitts, Buff, CBJ, and NYR.Β  Β Pittsburgh picked first (Crosby) and Buffalo fell to lucky 13th (Zagrapan - never played a game in the NHL).Β  Β They got Malkin 2OA the year prior.Β Β 

I really hate the Pens almost as much as the Leaves.Β Β 

Β 

Do your worst coach!Β 
Β 

image.jpeg.24c4225225edc4d6fef2bde0b966f1bd.jpeg

Β 

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Pittsburg, Ottawa, Seattle, Anaheim, Chicago and San Jose twice in their next 10. Β All winnable games. Β 

Β 

I remember the day Elvis kicked it - was a kid on a swing in the park singing β€˜Elvis Pretzel died’. Β 
I only knew old sweaty Vegas Elvis.Β 
Then we had jelly donuts.

Shocked Elvis Presley GIF
Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm ready to hear sid the kid 5 thousand timesΒ 

I guess he's never going to lose "The Kid" moniker eh? I suppose it's better than Sidney "He'll be middle aged in less than 10 years" Crosby

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yup. They invented the tank. Β  Pittsburgh tanked twice and they hit on Lemuiex, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin. Β 

Β 

Crosby was not a tank effort. Β They won the lottery in a year we had the better odds.

35 minutes ago, Weave said:

Crosby was not a tank effort. Β They won the lottery in a year we had the better odds.

Sabres had the same odds as the Pens had that year.Β  They were 2 of the teams with 3 balls in the lottery; the Rags and BJs being the others.

Everybody else had 1 or 2 depending upon their results the past 3 seasons.

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sabres had the same odds as the Pens had that year.Β  They were 2 of the teams with 3 balls in the lottery; the Rags and BJs being the others.

Everybody else had 1 or 2 depending upon their results the past 3 seasons.

Yeah, yeah. Β Context. Β Pittsburgh could not have possibly tanked. Β They were coming off a lockout season.

Sabres lineup for tonight:

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Quinn Cozens Peterka
Greenway Mittelstadt Benson
Girgensons Krebs Robinson

Dahlin Jokiharju
Samuelsson Clifton
Power E. Johnson

Luukkonen
Levi
Β 

We now know the DG is not an advanced stats guy, but just basic stats and eyeballs say sitting R Johnson or Joki while playing E Johnson makes the team measurably worse. Β I just don’t get it.

I guess the whole β€œdon’t want to block young players” doesn’t apply anymore, especially when it seems to be working so well sitting 6 from the bottom in league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.