Official :WHL Trade Matt Savoie is being traded to MooseJaw

Brawndo

@Ogelthorpe @xzy89c1 Savoie got injured in the WHL playoffs before he was drafted. He then got injured in a prospect game the following summer. Keep being upset and stupid because you need that sweet hit of confirmation bias. BTW Savoie didn't even miss a WJC game and ended up playing so for an injury prone guy he sure does play alot of games. Idc anymore because PA was right, this board's quality has dropped. 

6 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

he has gotten hurt every year since we drafted him. Narrative is true.

No it isn't. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your feelings. 

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, I am fine with trading Savoie if it gets us something good. Personally I think there are some defenders out there we could use Savoie to get and probably should. How many fast skating finesse guys under 6ft do we need? Savoie doesn't bring a skillset that is all that different from Kulich, Rosen, Östlund. Rosen probably never makes the NHL or is a middle 6 guy. Kulich has top 6 potential because of his shot but his 200ft game still needs some work. Östlund is probably the most complete of these 3 but he needs to eat a metric ton pasta and live in a weight room. That leaves Savoie who is probably the best of the 4 but also has the most value. They won't trade any of them until long after their value depreciates but I would be thinking long and hard at the deadline and this summer which 2 I want to keep and ship the other two off. There simply isn't room and honestly, 5'11" good skating forwards with puck skills are fairly easy to find in drafts into the 2nd round. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

BTW, I am fine with trading Savoie if it gets us something good. Personally I think there are some defenders out there we could use Savoie to get and probably should. How many fast skating finesse guys under 6ft do we need? Savoie doesn't bring a skillset that is all that different from Kulich, Rosen, Östlund. Rosen probably never makes the NHL or is a middle 6 guy. Kulich has top 6 potential because of his shot but his 200ft game still needs some work. Östlund is probably the most complete of these 3 but he needs to eat a metric ton pasta and live in a weight room. That leaves Savoie who is probably the best of the 4 but also has the most value. They won't trade any of them until long after their value depreciates but I would be thinking long and hard at the deadline and this summer which 2 I want to keep and ship the other two off. There simply isn't room and honestly, 5'11" good skating forwards with puck skills are fairly easy to find in drafts into the 2nd round. 

I posed this question recently (in the "be patient" thread).  Of Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, and Östlund who do you trade/keep?  Also, at what point does their value go down,  i.e., when is their enough games seen to determine what they can be?

From AHL play you would think  Kulich is the best, but Donnie gave him one game, very sheltered minutes, and then sent him back.  Rosen lasted longer which surprised me.  Both looked very tentative.  

Edited by Pimlach

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I posed this question recently.  Of Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, and Östlund who do you trade/keep?  Also, at what point does their value go down,  I.e., when is their enough games to ***** what they can be. 

From AHL play you would think  Kulich is the best, but Donnie gave him one game, very sheltered minutes, and then sent him back.  Rosen lasted longer which surprised me.  Both looked very tentative.  

While this is without having seen Östlund play, personally would be leaning towards keeping Kulich and Östlund with Rosen and Savoie in the tradeable commodity pile.

Would keep Kulich over Rosen because Rosen seems to be more of a playmaker than a goal scorer and the team has that throughout the lineup but not many true goal scorers (Thompson, Peterka, and Skinner) which is Kulich's bread and butter.

Would keep Östlund over Savoie mainly because of the reports on him and having seen Savoie in person.  Savoie is at least another year out beyond this one before beng ready to be a legit contributor and he also seems to be a bit redundant on skill sets.

You have to give to get and these guys should be worth something legit in return whether in a package or straight up.  The point of over drafting high end skill guys is that it keeps the Sabres cupboard full of what should be hard to obtain while having some excess that should be able to be traded for other skillsets that they aren't as good at drafting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

@Ogelthorpe @xzy89c1 Savoie got injured in the WHL playoffs before he was drafted. He then got injured in a prospect game the following summer. Keep being upset and stupid because you need that sweet hit of confirmation bias. BTW Savoie didn't even miss a WJC game and ended up playing so for an injury prone guy he sure does play alot of games. Idc anymore because PA was right, this board's quality has dropped. 

missed the beginning of this year too and just got hurt at juniors.. He did not play against Germany at WJC

Equals: he has missed considerable time to injury both years. 

Are you related to him? The emotional response is silly and belongs on Redditt not this board.

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

Ive seen a lot of praise & hype around Savoie since we drafted him & while I'm hopeful for his future i just dont see it yet. Any 'pro' game ive ever seen him play, you simply dont see him at all. And it may take a few years before we do see it. But if we can move him for anything that can help us sooner i'd be all for it.

Like others have said: he doesnt really offer much that we dont already have. And the things we do need he doesnt bring so what do you do?

Since it doesnt look as if Savoie will be ready in the next couple years, if i were GM: I'd package him together with some other assets & try to help this team upgrade one of its many weaknesses now. You know, any of those issues that we have discussed here for years. Time will tell I suppose.

GO SABRES

• Like (+1) 1

The best NHL GM ever, Sam Pollock, said his general rule of thumb is you never trade your kids till they reach 23 years old because then they have developed and you know what you have.  

I mean we can get worked up about 18 and 19 year olds but they still have runway ahead to get better.

The Sabres need to figure out which way they want to play and then start making moves to acquire talent that will fit that model.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Ive seen a lot of praise & hype around Savoie since we drafted him & while I'm hopeful for his future i just dont see it yet. Any 'pro' game ive ever seen him play, you simply dont see him at all. And it may take a few years before we do see it. But if we can move him for anything that can help us sooner i'd be all for it.

Like others have said: he doesnt really offer much that we dont already have. And the things we do need he doesnt bring so what do you do?

Since it doesnt look as if Savoie will be ready in the next couple years, if i were GM: I'd package him together with some other assets & try to help this team upgrade one of its many weaknesses now. You know, any of those issues that we have discussed here for years. Time will tell I suppose.

GO SABRES

Another thing is, I’m not sure his stock has stayed the same since being drafted, has it? It certainly hasn’t gone up. Often these mystery box pieces retain their most value when most of that mystery is still in tact. Adams needs to pick which ones to move on from in a PROMPT matter as dragging his feet will presumably only lower potential return. And all the more reason imo to deal our first this year: let some other desperate team pretend their fortunes are saved by a guy they “can’t believe!” fell to 8th in the draft who, assuredly, of course, is actually a top 3 talent. We don’t need another prospect. Deal the pick when it has its most value 

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The best NHL GM ever, Sam Pollock, said his general rule of thumb is you never trade your kids till they reach 23 years old because then they have developed and you know what you have.  

I mean we can get worked up about 18 and 19 year olds but they still have runway ahead to get better.

The Sabres need to figure out which way they want to play and then start making moves to acquire talent that will fit that model.

Sabres are a specific situation. We can’t afford for Adams to wait around on his surplus to mature when the needs on the actual roster are so significant, wait around for them to mature to the point the ones we are dealing have little value because at 23 they’ve revealed themselves to be the ones we don’t want. Way too late by that point 

I beg our GM to just be a GM and do work 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup, we agree again go figure. 

I'd be willing to trade him or any of that list if we can get good D and/or goaltending back. Kulich probably has my biggest asking price but I'd consider any of them for the right deal. Trade them while they are considered to have upside for greater value. Don't wait until any of them become disappointments. Not saying that'll definitely happen but it's a risk. 

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Different league/era now. They come in younger and can play in the league younger. Back then development paths were generally longer so I'd bump that number down to 21. The thing is other teams will also know what you have if you wait too long. You need to move them while other teams still think they have upside and just need the right setting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Savoie played against Germany?   

Respectfully, he's missed significant time due to injury twice and most recently, 1 WJC game.   

If that doesn't raise a flag then fine, but IMO it's a bit of a concern moving forward and needs to be taken into consideration when forecasting where he'll fit into the lineup next season.  

Edited by pi2000
  • dislike 1

Shoutout to Moose Jaw, one of my favourite faux "locations" for the purposes of my Sabrespace profile.

I believe my locations have been substantially as follows (in this order):

1. Medicine Hat

2. Moose Jaw

3. Bobcaygeon

4. Temiskaming Shores

5. Chilliwack (current one - h/t to Benson)

• Brawndo changed the title to Official :WHL Trade Matt Savoie is being traded to MooseJaw
1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I see you have read Draft Day, Doug MacLean’s book.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Savoie played against Germany?   

Respectfully, he's missed significant time due to injury twice and most recently, 1 WJC game.   

If that doesn't raise a flag then fine, but IMO it's a bit of a concern moving forward and needs to be taken into consideration when forecasting where he'll fit into the lineup next season.  

He missed significant time once, this summer. Idc if Buffalo trades him, but missing 1 game at the wjc isn't the reason to. It literally doesn't matter. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Shoutout to Moose Jaw, one of my favourite faux "locations" for the purposes of my Sabrespace profile.

I believe my locations have been substantially as follows (in this order):

1. Medicine Hat

2. Moose Jaw

3. Bobcaygeon

4. Temiskaming Shores

5. Chilliwack (current one - h/t to Benson)

Careful, I live close to shitowack. Good coffee shop there called The Smoking Gun.

But really, no Salmon Arm or Crotch Lake? You can do better 🙂

I love Bobcaygeon

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Lots of WJC highlights on Twitter if you want to take a look.  Lots of 'em.

Have already seen an odd highlight or 2 here or there.  Wouldn't consider watching 5 or 10 minutes of highlights as ever having seen him actually play.  Pretty sure a couple fo Sweden's games recorded this past week.  If am bored or the show we're watching has caught up to real time, might check one of them out.  Still wouldn't say have seen enough of him to make a firm call on whether he should be kept or not (definitely not beyond what others that have watched him a lot suggest).

4 hours ago, In The Buff said:

GO SABRES

He showed well in his brief re-hab stint with the Amerks earlier this season, so there’s that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.