Official :WHL Trade Matt Savoie is being traded to MooseJaw

Brawndo

4 hours ago, In The Buff said:

Ive seen a lot of praise & hype around Savoie since we drafted him & while I'm hopeful for his future i just dont see it yet. Any 'pro' game ive ever seen him play, you simply dont see him at all. And it may take a few years before we do see it. But if we can move him for anything that can help us sooner i'd be all for it.

Like others have said: he doesnt really offer much that we dont already have. And the things we do need he doesnt bring so what do you do?

Since it doesnt look as if Savoie will be ready in the next couple years, if i were GM: I'd package him together with some other assets & try to help this team upgrade one of its many weaknesses now. You know, any of those issues that we have discussed here for years. Time will tell I suppose.

GO SABRES

He has 9 pro games under his belt, all played before the age of 20. It’s tough to write any book based on that. He’s a very valuable commodity at this point and the team has to move some of them at some point. Whether it’s him or someone else, there will be plenty of interest around the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

As I have said before I have no problem trading Rosen, Savoie or even Kulich. But you don’t give them away. You have to get it right. It has to be an impact player who fills a real need to improve the team. I just really don’t trust this front office to get it right.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:16 PM, xzy89c1 said:

lacks number one ability:

availability

I don't think that quite fair.  He hurt his shoulder in the playoffs in his draft year.  Came back last year and played a full season.  Got hurt in the prospects game missed some time but not that long and missed 1 game at the WJC

2 hours ago, shrader said:

He has 9 pro games under his belt, all played before the age of 20. It’s tough to write any book based on that. He’s a very valuable commodity at this point and the team has to move some of them at some point. Whether it’s him or someone else, there will be plenty of interest around the league. 

Wonder if he watched him in Rochester ?, I thought his line with Rosen and Kulich were dynamite and he was a big part of it. 

He was also the best player at the prospects tourney before getting hurt ...  for whatever that's worth 

Not to think too much about Wenatchee, but they're a brand new transplanted team, with a great roster and currently in 2nd place in the western division. So while their 2 best forwards are off at the WJCs (Geekie and Savoie).... they trade them both. Classic case of they didn't want to be there? You'd rather be at the WJCs? Seems like they could have gone for a championship this inaugural season if they had wanted. The Western Conference was much weaker this season with the T-Birds disbanded.

Anyhoo -- here's the haul that the Wild picked up in the combined trades:

Out - Geekie, Savoie

In -
Josh Fluker ('06), Maddix Mccagherty ('06), Sam Ward ('05),
2024 1st, 2024 3rd
2025 1st, 2025 2nd, 2025 8th
2026 1st, 2026 2nd
2027 1st, 2027 4th, 2027 7th

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

As I have said before I have no problem trading Rosen, Savoie or even Kulich. But you don’t give them away. You have to get it right. It has to be an impact player who fills a real need to improve the team. I just really don’t trust this front office to get it right.

Isn't getting it right always the plan? Murray thought he was right giving up a 1st for Robin Lehner. You also never know how a player will do in your system. You might see someone kicking tail with their team, you trade for them and 'poof' they're useless in your lineup.

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Isn't getting it right always the plan? Murray thought he was right giving up a 1st for Robin Lehner. You also never know how a player will do in your system. You might see someone kicking tail with their team, you trade for them and 'poof' they're useless in your lineup.

Pro scouting is paid to literally figure out which players will work in your system. If a player fails then that is on you.

That is what “getting it right” is.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.