Is It Time For A New Coach NOW

sabrefanday1

With a lot of other teams struggling (see the Leafs) it becomes clear that there will be teams looking for new coaches soon which seems to me would mean that the Sabres need to move NOW and move out the coaching staff and go after one of the experienced coaches not employed currently. It is clear that this team is going nowhere and need a change fast...a new coach will also be better able to dictate what is needed to improve the roster (mainly a goalie and some veteran toughness. Then GMKA needs to ask KO to give up the captaincy and we need someone to lead this team that right now is not getting any sort of leadership.

Absolutely crazy to go on with this team as it stands now...we let last year go to waste and now this year looks even more dismal. At least they were exciting and scored lots last year. I can accept effort and if they are entertaining. This team this year is anything but...

My choice is maybe Gallant? Any thoughts on a new coach???

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

With a lot of other teams struggling (see the Leafs) it becomes clear that there will be teams looking for new coaches soon which seems to me would mean that the Sabres need to move NOW and move out the coaching staff and go after one of the experienced coaches not employed currently. It is clear that this team is going nowhere and need a change fast...a new coach will also be better able to dictate what is needed to improve the roster (mainly a goalie and some veteran toughness. Then GMKA needs to ask KO to give up the captaincy and we need someone to lead this team that right now is not getting any sort of leadership.

Absolutely crazy to go on with this team as it stands now...we let last year go to waste and now this year looks even more dismal. At least they were exciting and scored lots last year. I can accept effort and if they are entertaining. This team this year is anything but...

Gallant or Berube, but both of those guys will probably have jobs if/when Adams ever decides to move on from Granato.

Hell, I'd say take a good look at the Oilers former coach, Jay Woodcroft. Yes, they were awful out of the gate this year, because they tried to implement a new defensive system that totally blew up in their faces, but before that Woodcraft turned them around when he was hired in February 2022, went 76-32-12, and won 3 playoff series, including taking them to the conference finals the year he inherited a near .500 team in February. The Oilers are my "second" team, Woodcroft is a good coach.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

It's not happening in season. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

It was time when they named the PP coach.  The most wasteful pick there ever

Matty Ellis and his zero career powerplay goals begs to differ. It's like when the Patriots hired Matt Patricia to run their offense

• Like (+1) 1

• sabrefanday1 changed the title to [Vague Title]Is It Time For A New Coach NOW

I have been wanting Gallant for years.  He is a hard nose similar to Torts but not as vocal with the media.  That is exactly what this team needs imo. He took a Florida team in the same shape we are in an immediately turned them around.  Much of that team you see today is of his influence on the culture.  BUT... he is hard on GM's. 

40 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I have been wanting Gallant for years.  He is a hard nose similar to Torts but not as vocal with the media.  That is exactly what this team needs imo. He took a Florida team in the same shape we are in an immediately turned them around.  Much of that team you see today is of his influence on the culture.  BUT... he is hard on GM's. 

I see this a lot but are there examples of GMs losing their job because he is winning too much? He's been successful everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I seriously doubt he would play for Adams.  He's going to want replace some of the young prospects with veterens.  Kev isn't going to do that.

• Agree 2

Unless there is a plan on how the team takes the next step, including bringing in an NHL proven coaching staff, then no.

It is sad to caveat it, because the results certainly warrant a change but this organization is so dysfunctional that I am afraid of what could be next.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s time to move the Sabres franchise to Salt Lake, and for the NHL to give a new owner an expansion team in Buffalo under the rules utilized by LV and Seattle.

There I said it.

You don't have to move the franchise to do what you suggest.

Hire one of Vegas' pro scouts to be Director of player development or even GM, and the start trading the Sabres players and prospects for other team's bottom six forwards and bottom two defensemen.  

Target the 7th best forward or 4th best defenseman on any team, and Thompson, Dahlin, Tuch, Cozens, Power, Quinn should easily get you him.  Prospects like Savoie and Benson should do the same.  Need an old, expensive goalie? Trade Levi for Bobrovsky.  You would have dig deep to replace the prospects in Sweden and the juniors, but you should be able to find deals.  Finally, sign a bunch of washed FAs to complete the lineup.

Sabres should keep next year's draft picks in tact; they'll probably be able to pick up additional picks trading guys like Thompson for a third line player, but be ready to trade those drafted prospects for disgruntled, injured all-stars from poorly-run franchises.

Follow this plan and you can skip the trauma of losing a franchise, but still get the benefit of rebuilding the lineup with middle-of-the-roster players from other teams.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m at the point that what’s the point of a new head coach? GMKA & Pegula showed you the playbook. That’s good vibes and an inexpensive staff. “Drilling another well” is completely off the table. The shine of this franchise has worn off to ownership and their priorities have changed (Bills and Kim’s health/wellbeing). I will bet you that today Terry is as hands off as he could possibly be. 

Look…they’ve already tried the established winner route (Bylsma & throwing dollars at Mike Babcock), the homegrown route (Housley), the expensive & unconventional route (Krueger), and now the cheap hockey lifer who everyone likes on a personal level (Meatballs). I think ownership and leadership like it this way. And they can write off the results because the team is so young.

That’s our reality. 

Also, they’re not paying ANOTHER guy to not coach the team.  The best hope is that Donny figures it out as the team ages up. 

• dislike 1

Unfortunately there’s no isolated variable here, as he hasn’t been given a good nhl roster to work with from our GM…but something needs to change. It doesn’t need to be Granato but you can’t do nothing as another crucial season slides away 

yes, I know we’ll do nothing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Unfortunately there’s no isolated variable here, as he hasn’t been given a good nhl roster to work with from our GM…but something needs to change. It doesn’t need to be Granato but you can’t do nothing as another crucial season slides away 

yes, I know we’ll do nothing 

I agree with you on the roster construction…specifically in the crease.  It was criminal for the GM to roll out the pod that he did for what he might have expected to be a playoff team:
Comrie 47 NHL starts. 
UPL 45 NHL starts. 
Levi 7 NHL starts.  

No other potential NHL team rolled out three guys with that little experience. And that’s not the head coach’s fault.  KA messed up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.