Ryan Johnson recalled by Sabres

Brawndo

Johnson is playing pretty well, and playing better than many other veteran players on the roster (regardless of position).  He's earned the right to remain on the team and to suit up every night.  I ASSUME this is just a paper transaction while they shuffle the pieces around and that he'll be back for the next game.  That said, this team has made or failed to make certain moves that make it easy to question their competence, so we'll wait and see on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I have heard a rumor that Adams is trying to trade Comrie(I know) and he is probably doing his best to do so before 2pm tomorrow when Comrie will be placed on waivers and Johnson will be recalled 

Is there any possibility that he can get something useful TODAY for Comrie?  Personally, don't see it at this point.  When he's healthy, he's a capable backup.  He's rarely been healthy in Buffalo and when he isn't healthy he's not a capable backup.

If he can't bring in something that helps the team TODAY, then with all the prospects in house and the picks they get to make (over the next 3 years they have all their own picks except this year's 5th and they have an extra 4th and 7th next year) does hanging onto Comrie for anywhere from a 4th - 7th really add any additional value above what losing him via waivers costs?

Pride would seem to be what's keeping Comrie in house at present.  They don't seem to be planning on sending Levi back down and UPL is their preferred 1B/2.  Not getting it now that the roster is healthy for the 1st time all year.

Sending R Johnson down looks like a way to satisfy further reshuffling.   If he is back by the CBJ game then it’s no big deal.  

They have over $5million on contract in Rochester with Jost, Bryson, Stillman. 

Adams seems to struggle with the pro personnel side.  His drafting has been good, even very good so far.  But nearly all the pro vets he acquired are Jags. 

Either he doesn’t know talent (I think he does),  or he really is serious about “blockers”.  If you make it too easy for a prospect to jump from AHL/Jr A/NCAA are you doing them, and the team, any favors? 

I fear that next season we might bring in a few more rookies and not any substantial vet help yet again.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sending R Johnson down looks like a way to satisfy further reshuffling.   If he is back by the CBJ game then it’s no big deal.  

They have over $5million on contract in Rochester with Jost, Bryson, Stillman. 

Adams seems to struggle with the pro personnel side.  His drafting has been good, even very good so far.  But nearly all the pro vets he acquired are Jags. 

Either he doesn’t know talent (I think he does),  or he really is serious about “blockers”.  If you make it too easy for a prospect to jump from AHL/Jr A/NCAA are you doing them, and the team, any favors? 

I fear that next season we might bring in a few more rookies and not and substantial vet help yet again.  

Don't see any vet help brought in between the pipes.  They have the goaltending combo they want moving forward.  They have 6 D they like, though they have tried bringing in Chychrun, Pesce, and Hannifan (per rumors) so MAYBE there is a top 4 D-man in their future that isn't currently in B&G though wouldn't expect it.  Can see some depth signings, but that isn't really what you're talking about.

Personally, expect they like the 9 guys they currently have on the top 3 lines.  If Kulich (or another kid) makes the roster, Greenway can easily slide onto the 4th line.  Doubt they give up on Krebs at this point.  So, yeah, a replacement for Girgensons &/or Okposo as next year's 12 & 13 seem the only spots they'll be looking to vets.

Expect the only real change we see from this year to next, other than all the returning players being 1 year closer to their primes (except Skinner moving past his), is that at least 1 of, and maybe all, the ACs get replaced this off-season.

But IF the goaltending holds up, that MIGHT be enough.  (Pretty sure that's what Adams is banking on.)

34 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

is he worth anything more than a conditional 4th round pick?  

I'm thinking more like a conditional 7th or 'future considerations'.  He isn't bringing anything to the Sabres now, and any move would be a favor to him to get him someplace different where he might play.

42 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

is he worth anything more than a conditional 4th round pick?  

27 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Probably less than that but move him already.

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

A conditional sixth would be the best he could hope for, given the lack of cap space around the league and his recent play 

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm thinking more like a conditional 7th or 'future considerations'.  He isn't bringing anything to the Sabres now, and any move would be a favor to him to get him someplace different where he might play.

I think a conditional 8th, 6 rolls of black tape, 6 rolls of white tape, and a bag of pucks.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't see any vet help brought in between the pipes.  They have the goaltending combo they want moving forward.  They have 6 D they like, though they have tried bringing in Chychrun, Pesce, and Hannifan (per rumors) so MAYBE there is a top 4 D-man in their future that isn't currently in B&G though wouldn't expect it.  Can see some depth signings, but that isn't really what you're talking about.

Personally, expect they like the 9 guys they currently have on the top 3 lines.  If Kulich (or another kid) makes the roster, Greenway can easily slide onto the 4th line.  Doubt they give up on Krebs at this point.  So, yeah, a replacement for Girgensons &/or Okposo as next year's 12 & 13 seem the only spots they'll be looking to vets.

Expect the only real change we see from this year to next, other than all the returning players being 1 year closer to their primes (except Skinner moving past his), is that at least 1 of, and maybe all, the ACs get replaced this off-season.

But IF the goaltending holds up, that MIGHT be enough.  (Pretty sure that's what Adams is banking on.)

So 103 points?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Well, if those 2 are going to be on the roster, they need to make 2 other moves.  Comrie and Robinson seem the logical choices, but that doesn't seem to carry much weight round these parts these days.

I think only one move would be needed.  Jost and Johnson are out to make room for Thompson and Girgs.  If Johnson comes back up, that is when another player would need to be waived, traded or sent down.

I don't see a Comrie trade as making sense for anyone.  While I do think he would be better on a team that plays with more structure (he probably should have just stayed in Winnipeg), his performance hasn't warranted interest from other teams.  We likely would need to retain 1/2 his salary and I'm not sure that makes sense for us.  The return we would get, even at 50% retention, might not warrant using one of the three retention spots.  As we head towards the deadline, there might be players who would return more with retention (E. Johnson, Jokiharju, Girgs, Olofsson, Okposo, Robinson).      

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

This must be a short term paper transaction. It leaves them with only 6 d-men on the 23. Something else will need to give in the next few days. 

It is, but at the same time, they could have done this with Levi instead. It just goes to show you what little value/place Comrie has with the organization at this point. They send down the kid who actually belongs rather than give any additional time to Comrie.