Levi sent to Roch

pi2000

17 minutes ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Again if I owned the Buffalo Sabres the Sabres farm team wouldn’t be in Rochester anymore. I don’t believe you can develop players in that poor outdated Rochester Americans AHL setup. Blue Cross Arena in Rochester is a dump. I have talked about it for years it’s one of the many reasons the Buffalo Sabres as a franchise is struggling. The Buffalo Sabres need a 5,000 to 6,000 seat arena built in Amherst for their Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team and other sports holdings like the Henderson Dollar Loan Center for the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team. That is today not our outdated 1970’s minor league setup.

What about Hamilton? Didn't they upgrade their arena but don't have an AHL team? Less than an hour away. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

What about Hamilton? Didn't they upgrade their arena but don't have an AHL team? Less than an hour away. 

Interesting suggestions, but Hamilton is Leafs country.  The Sabres want to maintain their identity as a regional NYS team.  

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

Interesting suggestions, but Hamilton is Leafs country.  The Sabres want to maintain their identity as a regional NYS team.  

Hamiltonians tend to be Leaf or Montreal fans because of original 6 Canadian content. The AHL Bulldogs who were in Hamilton were Montreal affiliated. Hamilton however, also has a fair bit of anti-Toronto sentiment. It's a bit like a New Jersey vs. New York kind of thing. When you grow up in Hamilton on a clear day you can see Toronto across the lake and you kind of hate them for having everything when you're stuck in the working class s$$thole. 

After they built their arena and the Tim Horton's guy tried to get them an NHL franchise they had a couple games there to showcase the NHL. I saw the Sabres vs. Canucks there. Unfortunately the Sabres sucked that night and it was a bad game. 

Anyway, it'd probably be better than Rochester. Mind you I don't know much about Rochester. Been through it a few times many years ago. Went to House Of Guitars. Hung out with the Chesterfield Kings. I remember driving by the Kodak plant. I'd guess that's all gone now. It was years and years ago. 

5 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Eric Comrie isn’t a solid backup and beyond this season is of no use for the Buffalo Sabres organization. I can’t wait until Buffalo Bandits season because the Buffalo Sabres relying on UPL and Eric Comrie the season over for playoffs this season unfortunately again a panic move by Don Granato. When you start listening to the fans your sitting next to them. UPL has shown no ability that he can carry a number one goalie load after three seasons. Nothing has changed with UPL but the year. A few good Buffalo Sabres games doesn’t make him capable. I believe UPL will fold under the added pressure like he always does. As for Eric Comrie he has no future and can’t seem to stay healthy. As for Devon Levi I think the last place I would send a goalie is the AHL Rochester Americans if anything Devon Levi should have stayed in college at Northeastern Huskies.

Again if I owned the Buffalo Sabres the Sabres farm team wouldn’t be in Rochester anymore. I don’t believe you can develop players in that poor outdated Rochester Americans AHL setup. Blue Cross Arena in Rochester is a dump. I have talked about it for years it’s one of the many reasons the Buffalo Sabres as a franchise is struggling. The Buffalo Sabres need a 5,000 to 6,000 seat arena built in Amherst for their Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team and other sports holdings like the Henderson Dollar Loan Center for the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team. That is today not our outdated 1970’s minor league setup.

The Buffalo Sabres need to make a $80 to $100 million dollar investment in their hockey development if they are serious. $80 to $100 million dollars is what is needed for a AHL minor league arena. I wouldn’t build in Rochester it’s too far away from Buffalo plus I don’t believe in that Rochester sports market anymore the Rochester Knighthawks attendance is terrible Terry Pegula is losing a lot of money with that team. I think the Buffalo Sabres would be more successful acquiring land in Amherst by UB to build a minor league arena for the Buffalo Sabres AHL team, UB Bulls basketball, indoor soccer and indoor football. Terry Pegula should sell his Rochester holdings Americans and Knighthawks to local Rochester investors or keep them and sell the Buffalo Sabres/Buffalo Bandits because it’s not working the way it is now. The Buffalo Sabres need major developmental money not just for renovations to Key Bank Center downtown but for a minor league arena in Amherst. The Vegas Golden Knights aren’t winning by luck they made major investments money in their Vegas AHL team facilities. Terry Pegula doesn’t look like he is the man that is going to do that for whatever reason so more Sabres losing and suffering as Darcy Regier said which is really unfortunate. I don’t believe in Rochester Americans or that substandard development set up for the Sabres prospects in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Keep my damn city out your mother effin mouth 

Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Eric Comrie isn’t a solid backup and beyond this season is of no use for the Buffalo Sabres organization. I can’t wait until Buffalo Bandits season because the Buffalo Sabres relying on UPL and Eric Comrie the season over for playoffs this season unfortunately again a panic move by Don Granato. When you start listening to the fans your sitting next to them. UPL has shown no ability that he can carry a number one goalie load after three seasons. Nothing has changed with UPL but the year. A few good Buffalo Sabres games doesn’t make him capable. I believe UPL will fold under the added pressure like he always does. As for Eric Comrie he has no future and can’t seem to stay healthy. As for Devon Levi I think the last place I would send a goalie is the AHL Rochester Americans if anything Devon Levi should have stayed in college at Northeastern Huskies.

The Buffalo Sabres need to make a $80 to $100 million dollar investment in their hockey development if they are serious. $80 to $100 million dollars is what is needed for a AHL minor league arena. I wouldn’t build in Rochester it’s too far away from Buffalo plus I don’t believe in that Rochester sports market anymore the Rochester Knighthawks attendance is terrible Terry Pegula is losing a lot of money with that team. I think the Buffalo Sabres would be more successful acquiring land in Amherst by UB to build a minor league arena for the Buffalo Sabres AHL team, UB Bulls basketball, indoor soccer and indoor football. Terry Pegula should sell his Rochester holdings Americans and Knighthawks to local Rochester investors or keep them and sell the Buffalo Sabres/Buffalo Bandits because it’s not working the way it is now. The Buffalo Sabres need major developmental money not just for renovations to Key Bank Center downtown but for a minor league arena in Amherst. The Vegas Golden Knights aren’t winning by luck they made major investments money in their Vegas AHL team facilities. Terry Pegula doesn’t look like he is the man that is going to do that for whatever reason so more Sabres losing and suffering as Darcy Regier said which is really unfortunate. I don’t believe in Rochester Americans or that substandard development set up for the Sabres prospects in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You think the 75 min drive from Buffalo to Rochester is too far? Wait until you find out what others deal with for their AHL affiliate. Sure some like Vegas and Colorado are close but others like Tampa aren't. Tampa has their affiliate in Syracuse NY. 

Further, since Hamilton was mentioned, you think it's faster you go through customs and get to Hamilton then drive to Rochester? I mean maybe some days sure but we're talking a place that's what? 10 miles closer than Rochester. 

UB doesn't need a new basketball arena. Alumni Arena is fine and UB is never going to be a big sports school like Syracuse,  Penn State, etc... they did just build a massive indoor football complex. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I wouldn't go down this road 

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

You are going to need to cut out anything like this if you are going to participate in this forum.  Completely unacceptable.

Quoting things like this just makes it harder to clean up.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm sure the 98.15% of respondents in the preseason Levi expectations poll who did not choose "Split time between the NHL and AHL" will be happy to show their faces.

You’re right. I did not choose the split time option. Instead, I selected the “Vezina winning, ROY” choice, such was my unbridled optimism at the time. And I make no apology for it. 

Why you and other curmudgeon sticks in the mud feel the need to call out those that don’t share your pessimism is beyond me. 

I didn't think he was that bad to start the year - just got overworked (team wasn't playing well in front of him either), then injured.  Since his return he just has struggled.  Some good games and some bad, little consistency.  Give him some games in rochester to try and find that this year.  

Ideally he gets back to form, and you can bring him up again for a stretch run potentially.  

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line is that AHL games will not hurt his progress. I hoped he would be good enough to play 40 games but that won’t happen.

Now that UPL has grabbed the net, Levi needs games. It’s too bad Rochester doesn’t have more games on their calendar.

He’ll be back, maybe sooner than we think.

9 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

UPL is like 24 years old. Could he fold? Yes. Could he be coming into his prime (like most goaltenders at that age)? Also yes.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

You’re right. I did not choose the split time option. Instead, I selected the “Vezina winning, ROY” choice, such was my unbridled optimism at the time. And I make no apology for it. 

Why you and other curmudgeon sticks in the mud feel the need to call out those that don’t share your pessimism is beyond me. 

The greatest high is being able to smugly say "I told you so".

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe St. Catharines? Although you don't want to have to potential deal with a border crossing.

Are AHL facilities really that good across the league? I ask because I really don't know. I was at an Amerks game, and I didn't think it was all that bad, certainly not a dump. Maybe things have changed across the NHL?

If you are not going to keep them in Rochester and you did build a new facility, how about Niagara Falls?  Right across the border, a 20-30 minute drive from downtown but enough of a separation to give it a different 'feel'.  And it doesn't have to be in run-down-main st niagara falls, you  could do something off the highway, maybe lewiston.

Edited by mjd1001

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

Oopie played 33 games last year and to have amassed the below average stats like he did while providing quality goaltending in two thirds of them almost defies logic. His quality games were the exception to say the least.

Obviously, you feel differently about his performance last season, so I’ll just agree to disagree and continue to hope he continues his play of late. 

Here is the break down

Games 1-10 - 6-3-1 record - .889 save %.   If you remove the two bad performances to start the year he had an .910 save %

Games 11-20 - 7-2-1 record - .909 save%.  

UPL got off to a slow start last season as well.  He was 1-2-1 in the first 4 games with a .846 save %.  That was a pretty big hole stats wise, but then went 12-3-1 over the next 16 games with a .911 save %.

Then as I posted earlier the wheels came mostly came off.  

In his next 12 start (he had one relief appearance), he went 4-5-2 with a lousy 874 save %.  His worst start was getting pulled 12 minutes in a game after allowing 4 goals on 10 shots.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Really? 

It's not pessimism it's reality.

Do you know how obnoxious this board was about Levi at the end of last season and over the summer?

I don't do it often, but I've got the receipts on this one.

I'll say it again. The hockey IQ of this board has slipped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1