The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

Levi is gifted athletically.

He needs to work on positioning and rebound control.

Far too often he gets caught too deep in his net, or over persues the puck taking him out of position.

Teams are starting to pick up on this.  We saw it in the Washington game and he'll continue to get exploited until he adjusts.

Playing once a week will stunt his development.   He needs to be "the guy" down in Roch where he'll progress much faster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Far too often he gets caught too deep in his net, or over persues the puck taking him out of position.

Teams are starting to pick up on this.  We saw it in the Washington game and he'll continue to get exploited until he adjusts.

Playing once a week will stunt his development.   He needs to be "the guy" down in Roch where he'll progress much faster.

He should be "the guy" in blue & gold. He's our best. He will learn more quickly up here, all while giving the Sabres the best chance to win.

Edited by erickompositör72

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'd like to see him or Roch for a little while.  UPL and Comrie have played 'good enough' (not great, but good enough) to have them rotate the job up here (with a bit more to UPL) while Levi gets more starts in Roch like you said to refine his game, positioning, etc.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but with the big club, every practices now is focused on winning with player development not as much of a priority. I would assume in Roch (with a slightly lighter schedule) not only can he play games, but you can have coaching work with him more between games.

I'm not talking about a year long demotion for bad play. Just let him go down for a few weeks, maybe a month (or two) and see how he does there and how Comrie and UPL do up in Buffalo...and re-evaluate as needed.

20 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

wait-wait-what.gif

Did you even read what I said ??  And @Thorny you may want to take back that beer thingie you gave our friend Nill.

If not .. I believe Levi will become the best Sabre goalie SINCE Miller, maybe even Hasek - meaning he could end up being a better goalie than Miller.  I did not say that he will be better than Miller and certainly he will not be as good as Hasek, whom I think is the best to play the position - warts and all for quiting on his team.

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Did you even read what I said ??  And @Thorny you may want to take back that beer thingie you gave our friend Nill.

If not .. I believe Levi will become the best Sabre goalie SINCE Miller, maybe even Hasek - meaning he could end up being a better goalie than Miller.  I did not say that he will be better than Miller and certainly he will not be as good as Hasek, whom I think is the best to play the position - warts and all for quiting on his team.

raw

That’s what I was trying to explain to Mr. drunk boy yesterday 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Two things:

1. Levi is far and away the most gifted/ talented goalie the Sabres have in their system

2. Most on this forum (including some members who, otherwise, contribute invaluably) do not understand how to evaluate the goaltender position in any depth

I feel seen 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Seems like only for that one guy.

LOL !!

I see Nill’s point. That’s why I posted the “100 bears” thing. While technically true, it’s still awkward wording. You are absolutely right, being better than Miller would be the “best since Hasek”. I’m just candidly exhausted by the Hasek references. Be it invoking that connotation when it comes to Levi, and the other even more annoying way: “even prime hasek doesn’t play well behind this D” 

saying Levi has a shot at being better than Miller honestly does seem premature to me. But it’s not untrue  

and im not taking my beer thingy back from Nill. He accomplished the feet of consuming that beer no more than an hour ago 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's proving me and many others wrong, I love it. 

I wrote him off after last season. I thought he was too slow among other issues. Well, his lateral movement/quickness, reaction time, and even rebound control seems much improved and he is by a wide margin our best goalie right now. And these performances aren't against cupcakes like most of that nice run he had in January. He looks sharp, more confident, and like an actually good NHL goalie. I'm happy that he's proving so many of us wrong. Should be his nets unless/until he gives a reason to look another direction.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, tom webster said:

You can’t really argue with this. He’s been really good. I’m not sure it’s sustainable but how huge would it be for them if he actually becomes a legitimate starter. I, too, couldn’t ge happier if proven wrong.

I'm just going to live in the moment. Prove me wrong forever UPL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's proving me and many others wrong, I love it. 

He locked down the #1 role in the Penguins game.

Personally, would start Levi against St. Louis.  They need UPL to be ready to go in Carolina on Saturday.  Worry about who starts vs Nashville after that one's done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Let us not forget how crucial this save was to get two points tonight.  The Rangers PP goal happens either way. This save is the difference between a tie game and not a tie game. He might have a horseshoe up his azz on this one, but this team needed it and 401K came through.  

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

He locked down the #1 role in the Penguins game.

Personally, would start Levi against St. Louis.  They need UPL to be ready to go in Carolina on Saturday.  Worry about who starts vs Nashville after that one's done.

Just calling out that I wanted UPL for the next start and you were all over me that it should be Levi. Maybe you were coming from where you thought the Sabres brain trust was coming from, but UPL should have been given the crease for the Caps game (his lateral movement be damned). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.