The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk was solid and helped secure the win. Sometimes your goalie steals the win for the team when the team doesn’t have “it” on a given night. Thank you kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

You're right, 6K was pretty good tonight. Glad we weren't stupid enough to waive him. 

For those who care about such things, 6K is now 23rd out of 69 in goals saved above expected per 60.

6K has a save % of .926, 10th in the league.  I'm glad Adams wasn't stupid enough to lose him on waivers like so many wanted. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

For those who care about such things, 6K is now 23rd out of 69 in goals saved above expected per 60.

6K has a save % of .926, 10th in the league.  I'm glad Adams wasn't stupid enough to lose him on waivers like so many wanted. 

I guess that’s why he’s the GM and I’m not.

I watched UPL in the OHL quite a few times as well as the WJHC so I realize he has potential. I want to see consistency at this level in order to start believing in him.

I think Levi is the man going forward but if UPL continues getting better and these two battle hard for the net that will be a good thing. 1A and 1B scenario would keep the wear and tear factor lower and you go with the hot hand in the playoffs. Playoffs?

• Agree 1

It's early in the season and he's only played a few games, so we're dealing with a small sample size, but I've liked what I've seen over the course of the last week or 2 and it couldn't have been more timely with the Levi and Comrie injuries.  I was always in favor of keeping UPL and giving him time to develop, so I'm happy to see it paying off, at least for now.  Whether he can maintain it, we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d imagine UPL is going to play hard based on his awkward situation amongst 3 goalies. With Comrie injured, this may be his only real shot at convincing Adams not to give up on him.

I think this is a big factor. There's no greater motivator than fear. 

6K. Wow, that was a rough one. I said in the GDT I didn't like him getting the start last night, I thought three in a row was too much for him at this point in his career. Not a great game. 

For those who care about such things, 6Ks save % is down to .901 and money puck has him 48 out of 69 in GSAE, what a difference a game makes with a short sample size. 

6K is still 3-1 in games he's started, DG needs to do better in managing those starts. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Hank said:

6K. Wow, that was a rough one. I said in the GDT I didn't like him getting the start last night, I thought three in a row was too much for him at this point in his career. Not a great game. 

For those who care about such things, 6Ks save % is down to .901 and money puck has him 48 out of 69 in GSAE, what a difference a game makes with a short sample size. 

6K is still 3-1 in games he's started, DG needs to do better in managing those starts. 

To the bolded, we absolutely are in agreement.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hank said:

DG was right to start him Friday coming off the 38s effort against the same team.

I blame DG and the leadership group for the poor effort.  

• 3 weeks later...

Look none of the Buffalo Sabres goalies are Dominik Hasek right now. Devon Levi wasn’t why the Sabres lost tonight. The Sabres aren’t mentally tough enough to close games consistently which is very disappointing. The Dylan Cozens turnover and not getting back in Overtime was atrocious. Again the Sabres having three goalies or ten goalies isn’t why the Sabres aren’t mentally tough enough to close out games consistently. Trading for some second rate backup goalie giving away our whole farm system isn’t making the Sabres a playoff team. The Sabres need to improve defensively and playing for 60 minutes which after two years I still can’t believe it’s a problem but here we are and it is a problem in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, SabreSam said:

I really want to root for this kid.  He made some key saves at the end of last season.  It seems that he's at best average this year.  He seems to be struggling a bit.  He never seems to make the key save.

The unfortunate part is that he should have been paired with a solid veteran goalie and instead Kevyn Adams made him our savior. Most of this message board knew that was a bad idea but our GM does not. I think he will be a solid goalie in the future but I also think he should be sent down to the AHL, he just doesn't look ready yet imo.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Look none of the Buffalo Sabres goalies are Dominik Hasek right now. Devon Levi wasn’t why the Sabres lost tonight. The Sabres aren’t mentally tough enough to close games consistently which is very disappointing. The Dylan Cozens turnover and not getting back in Overtime was atrocious. Again the Sabres having three goalies or ten goalies isn’t why the Sabres aren’t mentally tough enough to close out games consistently. Trading for some second rate backup goalie giving away our whole farm system isn’t making the Sabres a playoff team. The Sabres need to improve defensively and playing for 60 minutes which after two years I still can’t believe it’s a problem but here we are and it is a problem in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Omg I beg you, stop with the hasek thing 

it’s not “hasek and everyone else” 

there are *varying levels of goaltending play*

Levi has contributed heavily to some losses, but even a goalie who just “isn’t the main reason we lost” every night *isn’t good enough.* 

“Dahlin wasn’t the main reason we lost, can’t blame him”

”Tage wasn’t the main reason we lost, can’t blame him”

Absurd, when you hear it with other positions besides goalies. Those guys have to be sometimes the reason we win. 

Same goes for the goalie 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Hey. UPL has been in the Sabres system 5+ years? and he’s just now showing like he’s getting it.  I think we expected Levi to show up in year 1 at the NHL level and kill it. He’s definitely not killing it, but not getting embarrassed too much either. He will mature, understand the nuances to the NHL and the speed will be easier to manage.  I don’t think it will take him 5 years to become really solid.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive goalie designations than “Dom Hasek” and “every other goalie to ever play the position in the history of time”. Two single designations is far too few to use as a basis and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about. The topic starter can look up more goaltenders to see the vast array of play on display 

Thank you.

Fixed, ffs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.