The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

9 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

I missed tonight's game. Thrilled with the result. I still worry UPL might be fool's gold, but I'm also happy to be proven wrong. My $ is on Levi long-term having the most distinguished career, but goalies are funny creatures...

Those are two different issues though. Levi probably is the better player long term. Right now, today, this team needs to start riding UPL. There is a ridiculously obvious separation in the goalie stats. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just as writing him off at 22 years old was a mistake, so is anointing him the next great Sabres goalie.  

He is playing much better, he is getting better support too.  He has earned #1 status right now.  He should get more starts. 

Let’s hope UPL stays healthy and continues to grow his game. 

Perhaps Levi can now go to Rochester, play consistently, and improve his game?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did UPL have a scintillating run of play last season as well? 

I'm asking.

He had a good run, they scored a lot of goals for him too.  

This season he is keeping them in games.  He has definitely improved.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He had a good run, they scored a lot of goals for him too.  

This season he is keeping them in games.  He has definitely improved.  

The disparity between his stats and the other two is an eye opener.  I don't know how any coach could seriously consider a rotation at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

That’s what I notice. I didn’t know he talked about it in the off-season. He is much more active in the crease.

I think I read about it on twitter, and I also think Granato spoke of it. But here is one place (start at around the 4:00 minute mark) where he discussed it in a broader context of getting ready for the season. 

14 hours ago, Hank said:

What are you talking about? 6K has been consistent all year. The two starts he lost were against Pittsburgh and Philly the 2nd. If you watched those two games you know The whole team played like dogshit. Hayek himself couldn't have won those games, let alone 6K. He was spectacular tonight and against Colorado and Philly the 1st. Good to very good in the other four. 

I think you mean "herself," and I beg to differ:

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just as writing him off at 22 years old was a mistake, so is anointing him the next great Sabres goalie.  

He is playing much better, he is getting better support too.  He has earned #1 status right now.  He should get more starts. 

Let’s hope UPL stays healthy and continues to grow his game. 

Perhaps Levi can now go to Rochester, play consistently, and improve his game?  

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if KA has some kind of gentleman's agreement with Levi that he won't send him down to Roch.   

It just makes no sense to keep him in up if he's not going to play enough to properly develop.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm honestly beginning to wonder if KA has some kind of gentleman's agreement with Levi that he won't send him down to Roch.   

There were intimations to this effect when he signed. It seems possible that the covenant was more than informal. If that were the case -- if that's something that the agent secured for his client -- then me no likey. Ask Ryan Miller if it hurt his career to hump around in the A for a bit and be forced to suck exhaust fumes from sh1tty buses.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did UPL have a scintillating run of play last season as well? 

I'm asking.

In terms of getting some wins, yeah. But there were few actual scintillating goaltending moments as Oopie required four or more goals to in support to get many of those wins last year. I fully understand that we don’t ask how, only how many and there’s a lot to that as a win is a win is a win. But winning in spite of less than average goaltending is never sustainable and most of us weren’t swayed. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

In terms of getting some wins, yeah. But there were few actual scintillating goaltending moments as Oopie required four or more goals to in support to get many of those wins last year. I fully understand that we don’t ask how, only how many and there’s a lot to that as a win is a win is a win. But winning in spite of less than average goaltending is never sustainable and most of us weren’t swayed. 

7E97DD18-E20D-4F84-80E0-A59CC0BEFDD6.thumb.jpeg.c85b2b4a83ce229a4d5f2be8d3603739.jpeg

Its a clear case of stats don’t lie. Look no further 

It’s not even good D. He’s just making some really nice saves.

Ya know, playing really well. Which you can actually ask your goalies to do! Goalies can be your best players! They don’t need to just be “not the problem”. Shocking to some I am sure lol

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

7E97DD18-E20D-4F84-80E0-A59CC0BEFDD6.thumb.jpeg.c85b2b4a83ce229a4d5f2be8d3603739.jpeg

Its a clear case of stats don’t lie. Look no further 

It’s not even good D. He’s just making some really nice saves.

Ya know, playing really well. Which you can actually ask your goalies to do! 

Absolutely. And as I said in an earlier post up thread, he gets all my praise for his emerging improvement and we all hope it continues.

But for anyone to insist that those of us who rightfully criticized his piss poor play previously owe him an apology for that criticism is absurd. These twitter X zealots posting their apology forms have short memories and should better acquaint themselves with the facts of Oopie’s entire body of work to date. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It just makes no sense to keep him in up if he's not going to play enough to properly develop.

If he made that agreement then he is stupid.  

Levi should understand that a few months in the AHL would help him.  Levi should  also understand that he has to beat out one of the two to stay up.  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It’s cringe worthy but whatever makes his pp hard. 

YMMV on that. You know what's much more common on here? Young player struggles, majority say, "this player sucks! Get him off my team! I don't care what you get for him I just want him gone!"  A little time goes by and depending on if he's turned it around its either, "SEE! I WAS RIGHT, HE SUCKS!! FIRE EVERYBODY!!!, or, "I've never been so happy to be wrong about a player".  To me that's a miserable way to go through life and kind of pathetic. Again, YMMV, it's a message board, to each their own and all that. 

In fairness, I've updated his stats/numbers, I haven't come on here proclaiming how smart I am or that others are stupid for doubting him, so don't make it out to be something it's not. 

Also, he's been a different goalie since I've started calling him 6K, get on board. 

Also also, my calves are better than yours! 😝

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Absolutely. And as I said in an earlier post up thread, he gets all my praise for his emerging improvement and we all hope it continues.

But for anyone to insist that those of us who rightfully criticized his piss poor play previously owe him an apology for that criticism is absurd. These twitter X zealots posting their apology forms have short memories and should better acquaint themselves with the facts of Oopie’s entire body of work to date. 

As his biggest and longest supporter, I've never asked anyone to apologize or said they were wrong to doubt him, just respectfully disagreed. I wanted to trade him, Savoie, Benson(the pick, didnt know it would be Benson), + for Saros in the summer. 

46 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If he made that agreement then he is stupid.  

Levi should understand that a few months in the AHL would help him.  Levi should  also understand that he has to beat out one of the two to stay up.  

True.  But don't agree that since coming back from injury that Comrie has been better than Levi.

And this is where/why yours truly disagrees with the "send Levi to Ra-cha-cha" crowd.  The Sabres need to win hockey games and make the playoffs.  They should be playing their 2 best goalies.  100% agree that UPL is the best of the 3 right now.  Do not agree at all that Comrie is the 2nd best of the 3.  And if Levi is the 2nd best, he should be staying in Buffalo getting 30-40% or so of the starts (UPL should get 50-55%; with Comrie getting a game here or there).

The team is 0-2-0 in Comrie's starts since coming back from injury.  They're 2-1-1 in Levi's starts since HE came back from injury and the 1 regulation loss was against the B's before their bubble burst.

There is no pressing need at present to move away from the 3 headed monster.  IF Levi costs them games, fine, send him down.  But would like to see how he does against St. Louis 1st (and they likely will give that game and Carolina to UPL); so see how he does vs Nashville.  See where he's at for a couple of weeks as the #2; if he can't hack it, absolutely send him down.  But don't just send him down because he's a hothouse orchid that needs to be getting #1 usage RIGHT NOW or his entire NHL journey will be irreparably harmed.  Because his isn't and it won't.  (It won't ruin him to get sent down either; but the decision HAS TO BE will they win more games with Levi as the 2 or Comrie as the 2.  And that needs to be the ONLY criterion at THIS point.  If they make a trade for a F or a true tp 4 D and now can no longer afford to keep the 3 headed monster going; well make a decision at that time.  Or if Comrie is clearly the 2, make a decision.  But right now, they aren't going 11-7 because of the 3 headed monster and Comrie hasn't come close to locking up the backup role since coming back.)

Edit:  Welp, nevermind.  (Still not convinced Comrie is better right now than Levi is.)

Edited by Taro T

Last season UPL ranked 44th in home ice sv% out of 46 goaltenders who logged 600+ even strength minutes.... giving up 17 goals above expected at home...  2nd worst in the entire league.

It's still somewhat early, but he's been much better on home ice (4 games)... allowing 1.7 fewer goals than expected..

home_sv%  away_sv%
2022/23   0.871     0.910
2023/24   0.921     0.917

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

YMMV on that. You know what's much more common on here? Young player struggles, majority say, "this player sucks! Get him off my team! I don't care what you get for him I just want him gone!"  A little time goes by and depending on if he's turned it around its either, "SEE! I WAS RIGHT, HE SUCKS!! FIRE EVERYBODY!!!, or, "I've never been so happy to be wrong about a player".  To me that's a miserable way to go through life and kind of pathetic. Again, YMMV, it's a message board, to each their own and all that. 

In fairness, I've updated his stats/numbers, I haven't come on here proclaiming how smart I am or that others are stupid for doubting him, so don't make it out to be something it's not. 

Also, he's been a different goalie since I've started calling him 6K, get on board. 

Also also, my calves are better than yours! 😝

Ppl were calling him 6k years ago. 

17 hours ago, Hank said:

I disagree, but I'm easily swayed. Which other two did you think he was bad in?

Ottawa, New Jersey, Philly, and Carolina. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.