The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Hey. UPL has been in the Sabres system 5+ years? and he’s just now showing like he’s getting it.  I think we expected Levi to show up in year 1 at the NHL level and kill it. He’s definitely not killing it, but not getting embarrassed too much either. He will mature, understand the nuances to the NHL and the speed will be easier to manage.  I don’t think it will take him 5 years to become really solid.  

I think Adams expected Levi to kill it this year. I don't think most knowledgeable fans did. We hoped, didn't expect.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There are receipts.

Right. The very furthest I got was “hella risky, but he could conceivably play around 40 if we go out and get a Swayman level guy to play the other 40.” It was risky *with* a vet backup added - without, it just seems folly.

I do think most questioned it thoroughly. Some thought the rookie of the year was his to lose and he’d hit the ground running and start 50

I kept saying: it takes time to adjust to NHL shots. Way different than College shots 

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Despicable Me Reaction GIF

I done made a little joke with my edit 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right. The very furthest I got was “hella risky, but he could conceivably play around 40 if we go out and get a Swayman level guy to play the other 40.” It was risky *with* a vet backup added - without, it just seems folly.

I do think most questioned it thoroughly. Some thought the rookie of the year was his to lose and he’d hit the ground running and start 50

I kept saying: it takes time to adjust to NHL shots. Way different than College shots 

I done made a little joke with my edit 

Perhaps I should break out my warrior dolomite and offer to bring young Levi up to speed?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SabreSam said:

I really want to root for this kid.  He made some key saves at the end of last season.  It seems that he's at best average this year.  He seems to be struggling a bit.  He never seems to make the key save.

Yeah, he never makes the key save.  He didn't win against the Lightnihg, Loafs, nor Wild.  He loses every game he plays.  And he gets all the EASY games, like the Rags, the B's, the Loafs, the Caps on an 8-1-1 run.  Fack, those goals against were ones that @PromoTheRobot would've saved.  He never gets the tough games like Moe-ray-all or Chicago.

He should be the Amerks goalie.  And Benson should be back in WA.  Neither get help the team get any points whatsoever.

This team is toast right now if these two kids aren't here.

Sarcastic taro is odd. I guess B/c it’s so infrequent 

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, he never makes the key save.  He didn't win against the Lightnihg, Loafs, nor Wild.  He loses every game he plays.  And he gets all the EASY games, like the Rags, the B's, the Loafs, the Caps on an 8-1-1 run.  Fack, those goals against were ones that @PromoTheRobot would've saved.  He never gets the tough games like Moe-ray-all or Chicago.

He should be the Amerks goalie.  And Benson should be back in WA.  Neither get help the team get any points whatsoever.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Levi is fine. Relying on a goalie when the team has no defense is dumb. He makes the saves he needs to and makes plenty of big saves lesser goalies don’t. He gets tested more than goalies ever should and people forget that too easily 

He doesn’t compare very favourably to our other 2 goalies in expected goals marks, if you care about advanced stats. He’s consistently letting in more than what the numbers indicate would be “expected”, actually, and the other 2, especially UPL I believe, have not. All 3 playing behind the same team 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

He doesn’t compare very favourably to our other 2 goalies in expected goals marks, if you care about advanced stats. He’s consistently letting in more than what the numbers indicate would be “expected”, actually, and the other 2, especially UPL I believe, have not. All 3 playing behind the same team 

Carrying 3 goalies and playing 11 forwards  is dumb.  The worst part for me is that 2 (maybe 3) of the forwards playing shouldn't be 

• Like (+1) 1

Levi will be the best goalie for the Sabres since Miller, maybe even Hasek.  He is a kid playing a man's position in a man's league.  Last year he was playing in the NCAA for Pete's sake.

He needs time.  I am not sure if Buffalo is the best place for his development, but the issue remains that if the Sabres are really shooting seriously for the playoffs this season and they better be, then Levi will have to play a key role in getting them there.  The team seems to be already relying on him too much back there to save their bacon.  He has not always been able to do it.  It seems that the team plays better in front of 6K and / or Comrie (mostly 6K).

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Levi will be the best goalie for the Sabres since Miller, maybe even Hasek.  He is a kid playing a man's position in a man's league.  Last year he was playing in the NCAA for Pete's sake.

He needs time.  I am not sure if Buffalo is the best place for his development, but the issue remains that if the Sabres are really shooting seriously for the playoffs this season and they better be, then Levi will have to play a key role in getting them there.  The team seems to be already relying on him too much back there to save their bacon.  He has not always been able to do it.  It seems that the team plays better in front of 6K and / or Comrie (mostly 6K).

wait-wait-what.gif

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

wait-wait-what.gif

I think… no.. I know you are reading what he said, wrong.

It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Levi could eventually be the best goalie for the Sabres since the Sabres had Miller. And it’s also not beyond the realm of possibility that Levi could eventually be the best goalie for the Sabres since the Sabres had Hasek. Pretty straight forward IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think… no.. I know you are reading what he said, wrong.

It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that Levi could eventually be the best goalie for the Sabres since the Sabres had Miller. And it’s also not beyond the realm of possibility that Levi could eventually be the best goalie for the Sabres since the Sabres had Hasek. Pretty straight forward IMO.

There will never be another hasek or any Goalie ever close To his ability. 

Maybe he will be at the Miller someday. 

Some people should stop using haseks name like it's common 

Edited by Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

There will never be another hasek or any Goalie ever close To his ability. 

Maybe he will be at the Miller someday. 

Some people should stop using haseks name like it's common 

That’s what he said in what turns out to be a severely  poorly worded post.  

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Taro T said:

So I guess the Levi train derailed, huh?

• Disagree 1

I find it interesting that there are some Buffalo Sabres fans that really think that sending Devon Levi to Rochester Americans and calling up a forward from Rochester when that same forward they want to call up wasn’t good enough to stick with the Buffalo Sabres to begin with to start the season. After a month in Rochester that forward is magically good enough now for the NHL? Calling up one or two forwards from Rochester is going to fix all the Sabres problems playoffs here comes the Sabres? The players are in Rochester because they aren’t good enough to begin the season.

Understand it is very important for Devon Levi to play NHL level games for the Buffalo Sabres. Eric Comrie’s contract is up. He isn’t the Sabres future and he isn’t coming back so there no point playing him unless there are injuries to Devon Levi or UPL. The Sabres need to keep alternating Devon Levi and UPL so the Sabres aren’t in this mess next season with inexperienced NHL level goalies. You send Devon Levi to Rochester for the season you have no known goalie for next season again if UPL fails the Sabres have nothing? So basically the Sabres would be right back to hoping Devon Levi play can translate to NHL success next season going through this same crap again. Devon Levi needs to succeed or fail in the NHL this season with the Sabres. Let’s get it over with Devon Levi either figures out the NHL this season or the Sabres need to move on to a Plan B next season. Sending Devon Levi to Rochester only drags this crap on. Devon Levi either figures out this season the NHL or the Sabres should move on.

If Devon Levi isn’t the answer after this season and goes all UPL last season the Sabres have to draft another goalie high in the NHL draft. NHL teams aren’t trading number one goalies it is just not happening. I would let it roll with Devon Levi sink or swim. If Devon Levi completely sinks this season at least you know. Devon Levi can always go down next season to work on being a career backup NHL goalie while the Sabres work on a plan B. Which will probably be with a new Buffalo Sabres head coach because no playoffs Don Granato shouldn’t be retained for next season in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• dislike 2

48 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So I guess the Levi train derailed, huh?

No just some Buffalo Sabres fans panicking in fantasy land that a Rochester forward who has some points in the AHL is going to magically dominate the NHL and the Sabres make the playoffs with this move. Even though this same forward a month ago couldn’t make the Sabres opening night roster. Again Devon Levi is here for the season because he made the Buffalo Sabres and has played well enough to stay in the NHL. It’s just some Sabres fans fixated on three goalies bother them. You know there young Sabres fans not old Sabres fans. Because if they were old Sabres fans they know the first year I follow the Buffalo Sabres 1975 the Sabres had three goalies all season and made the Stanley Cup finals. Gary Bromley who played the most games that season, Roger Crozier who was ailing, Rocky Farr than Gerry Desjardins was signed from the Michigan Stags WHA took Rocky Farr’s goalie spot on the Sabres roster. If three goalies was good enough for Punch Imlach it’s good enough for me. Notice Sabres fans three goalies didn’t stop the Sabres from winning consistently. Face it using three goalies theory why the Sabres aren’t winning is an excuse. The Sabres aren’t winning because the Sabres aren’t good enough period. Until the Sabres players play consistently for three periods for more than once a week nothing is going to change in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Sabres Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

No just some Buffalo Sabres fans panicking in fantasy land that a Rochester forward who has some points in the AHL is going to magically dominate the NHL and the Sabres make the playoffs with this move. Even though this same forward a month ago couldn’t make the Sabres opening night roster. Again Devon Levi is here for the season because he made the Buffalo Sabres and has played well enough to stay in the NHL. It’s just some Sabres fans fixated on three goalies bother them. You know there young Sabres fans not old Sabres fans. Because if they were old Sabres fans they know the first year I follow the Buffalo Sabres 1975 the Sabres had three goalies all season and made the Stanley Cup finals. Gary Bromley who played the most games that season, Roger Crozier who was ailing, Rocky Farr than Gerry Desjardins was signed from the Michigan Stags WHA took Rocky Farr’s goalie spot on the Sabres roster. If three goalies was good enough for Punch Imlach it’s good enough for me. Notice Sabres fans three goalies didn’t stop the Sabres from winning consistently. Face it using three goalies theory why the Sabres aren’t winning is an excuse. The Sabres aren’t winning because the Sabres aren’t good enough period. Until the Sabres players play consistently for three periods for more than once a week nothing is going to change in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

There are forwards on this team not producing, I'm not saying calling up kids from Rochester will get us to the playoffs but if they happen to produce with the Sabres also over the players not producing is that not a better option? I'm not really seeing many posters saying we'll instantly make the playoffs but sitting oon our hands and hoping these guys turn it around is counter productive also imo.

What are you seeing from Devin Levi that shows he's ready for the NHL? Last season he stole a few games for us in a short time frame. This season he's giving up big rebounds and just hasn't had that game where he was the clear cut reason why we won the game and thats what you need out of our goaltenders right now especially when players are struggling to produce goals through injury and just having a rough go. I don't think it's a bad thing sending the gaolie down to gain more experience who can be called back up if needed because having 3 goalies is pretty dumb and if Levi isnt sent down then send Comrie. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.