Sabres return Matt Savoie to WHL Wenatchee Wild

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres return Matt Savoie returned to WHL Wenatchee Wild
  • Brawndo changed the title to Sabres return Matt Savoie to WHL Wenatchee Wild

This is awesome.  Now we don't risk losing Bryson to waivers and can continue to play Okposo, Krebs and Girgensons about 14 mins/game too much. If our goal is to make the playoffs, why are we going with 2 lines?  Okposo lines is incapable of scoring while whomever is on line 4 doesn't play

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

This is awesome.  Now we don't risk losing Bryson to waivers and can continue to play Okposo, Krebs and Girgensons about 14 mins/game too much. If our goal is to make the playoffs, why are we going with 2 lines?  Okposo lines is incapable of scoring while whomever is on line 4 doesn't play

The Okposo line isn’t supposed to be a scoring line. Their job is to not get scored against while our scoring lines rest up. They can chip in of course, but that’s just a bonus.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It is the right move, and hopefully Benson follows him when heathy. 

Oh yes send Benson down too? I can’t wait to see the same usual 3rd 4th line overpaid, lazy Buffalo Sabres players be losers and skate around in circles the same ones year after year where do I sign up for season tickets. Some Sabres fans never have a conversation about that why Sabres fans are feed up with the crap from this Sabres organization while the Boston Bruins win year after year owned by Buffalo’s own Jacobs family. Terry Pegula is a carpetbagger and a disgrace as a sports team owner. Don’t tell me the Buffalo Bills they suck now too again sell the teams Terry Pegula you bum. I have zero tolerance for none Buffalo playoff teams anymore after almost 50 seasons of no Super Bowls or Stanley Cups while everyone else wins but Buffalo. With that said and out of the way.

If Buffalo Sabres coach Don Granato doesn’t make the playoffs this season and isn’t fired by this dysfunctional Sabres organization than just move the Sabres franchise out of Buffalo. I say that as a almost 50 year Sabres fan because there is absolutely no hope for the Sabres in Buffalo under Terry Pegula ownership. Buffalo would be better off applying for a expansion franchise in either the NHL or NBA or MLB if New York State is going to giveaway public money anyway look for a better ownership group that is interested in at least trying by making the necessary changes of upgrading the talent not the same crappy players filling out the bottom six of the Sabres roster stealing money by there yearly lazy play. The Sabres ownership don’t deserve public money if they aren’t interested in improving the Sabres roster. I have seen enough of lazy overpaid untalented third and fourth line players the same ones year after year stealing Sabres fans money with a thousand excuses why they can’t skate for less than 10 minutes a game in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Oh yes send Benson down too? I can’t wait to see the same usual 3rd 4th line overpaid, lazy Buffalo Sabres players be losers and skate around in circles the same ones year after year where do I sign up for season tickets. Some Sabres fans never have a conversation about that why Sabres fans are feed up with the crap from this Sabres organization while the Boston Bruins win year after year owned by Buffalo’s own Jacobs family. Terry Pegula is a carpetbagger and a disgrace as a sports team owner. Don’t tell me the Buffalo Bills they suck now too again sell the teams Terry Pegula you bum. I have zero tolerance for none Buffalo playoff teams anymore after almost 50 seasons of no Super Bowls or Stanley Cups while everyone else wins but Buffalo. With that said and out of the way.

If Buffalo Sabres coach Don Granato doesn’t make the playoffs this season and isn’t fired by this dysfunctional Sabres organization than just move the Sabres franchise out of Buffalo. I say that as a almost 50 year Sabres fan because there is absolutely no hope for the Sabres in Buffalo under Terry Pegula ownership. Buffalo would be better off applying for a expansion franchise in either the NHL or NBA or MLB if New York State is going to giveaway public money anyway look for a better ownership group that is interested in at least trying by making the necessary changes of upgrading the talent not the same crappy players filling out the bottom six of the Sabres roster stealing money by there yearly lazy play. The Sabres ownership don’t deserve public money if they aren’t interested in improving the Sabres roster. I have seen enough of lazy overpaid untalented third and fourth line players the same ones year after year stealing Sabres fans money with a thousand excuses why they can’t skate for less than 10 minutes a game in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Wow, what a load of nonsense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They could have at least gave him a few games. 

There must be someone nearing a return from IR. Biro? Benson?

I guess the one game was a quick view thank you because the plan was to send him back regardless.

Benson has a few more (3) games before a decision is made on him. I expect him to go back too.

Kulich and Rosen may get auditions soon.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp time to get drunk if true 

Let's be honest... even if it's not true that's your likely end state.

I am surprised they pulled the trigger but I suspect it's a roster decision that drove the timeline just as stated above.  People are coming back and he's the odd man out. Even if he scored 3 last night I suspect he was already going to get sent down.  They just had a chance to give him a taste last night.  We might think he'd be upset but I would bet they were very clear with him.

If I were a player in his position and the GM told me that I was going to get sent down, but they could give me 1-2 games depending on how others on the team recovered I would take those 1-2 games.. every time.  I wouldn't be mad I got sent down.. I would be happy that I got to play a game in the NHL.  Yeah, I am sure his goal is to make it back, but sometimes stuff happens in life.

It's not like he'd say, don't play me unless you are going to give me a fair shot at sticking.  Not a chance.

I do suspect Benson follows as well.  To the point, this year is the year to make the playoffs and I don't think either of those players are going to make the change that puts the Sabres over the edge.  I do suspect we'll see some other AHL players come up soon.. and I still think there is a move to be made.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it's a move that was in the plans all along. Same with Benson? I think so. We have forward depth flowing out the wazoo, our d depth, at least for this season, appears set. 

I have to believe Kulich and a couple others get the call up nod ahead of both Benson and Savoie. Here's to hoping the young man maximizes his time to further his development and not take it as a feeling down moment.

Not surprised about the move, I am surprised it happened now.

Thought they’d stretch it out a few more weeks until it had to happen. But maybe we’re getting healthy and the numbers are such that it does.

He’s been skating and learning in the pros for 2 months now, learned he can play in the AHL and got to skate with and against Dahlin and Tuch and Thompson.

Gives him perspective and something to shoot for.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Welp time to get drunk if true 

That will probably help get to the puking part.

Just now, dudacek said:

I think a healthy Benson gets another shot to play out his 9 unless the Krebs Jost Rousek Olofsson group steps up, and/or they sign Kane.

I'd send Benson back too. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The GOAL this year is playoffs, NOT development.  Wtf would they give him a few more games if they've seen all they need to see already about where he is at as a player?

Personally, expected he'd get 1 more game against a lesser opponent, but thought there was a strong possibility he'd get sent back after that game.  They obviously decided they've seen enough and didn't need to overwork the rest of the forwards by giving him 4 more minutes in another game.

Yes -- and this move is very much evidence of that goal.

1 hour ago, CTJoe said:

There are some nice-looking forwards in Rochester, and a certain UFA, all of whom likely would contribute more towards a playoff run than Savoie or Benson.  I am pretty bullish on both prospects -- they just aren't ready yet IMHO.

21 minutes ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

OK, time to read your posts and take a breath before clicking "submit."

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think a healthy Benson gets another shot to play out his 9 unless the Krebs Jost Rousek Olofsson group steps up, and/or they sign Kane.

I agree but I also think it's 80% likely he goes down before game #10.

• Like (+1) 1

Savoie is a certainly victim of the AHL/CHL rules.

He was nearly a PPG in Rochester, isn't ready yet for the NHL and is forced back into Juniors.

I'm surprised they didn't keep him a bit longer but I'm guessing Granato must of saw some deer in the headlights against the Wild's crazed physicality and told Adams he wasn't quite ready for NHL men yet.

Benson will likely get some AHL games and his max in the NHL before joining his buddy. 

We did learn though that Benson seems to handle the larger players better than Savoie thus far in regards to the psyche.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.