Sabres return Matt Savoie to WHL Wenatchee Wild

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is there an example of someone playing in the OHL in the same circumstance?   Top 10 pick and draft plus 2 year?

OHL?  Here’s 10: Ryan Ellis, Dougie Hamilton, Mark Scheifle, Ryan Strome, Slater Koekerk, Darnell Nurse, Michael Dal Colle,  Dylan Strome, Tyler Boucher, Brandt Clarke. 

That’s just the OHL. 

Savoie will be fine. If he turns out to be the Slater Koekerk or Micheal Dal  Colle of the 2022 draft, it won’t be because he played his 19 yr old season in the WHL. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's no reason for first round nhl picks to be FORCED to stay in a league that's below them for an additional year post draft. You go back for your post draft year and if you went in the first that's it. D+1 and done. 

Why limit to 1st rd picks?  There have been plenty of 2nd and 3rd rd picks who were just as ready.  Why force them to stay?

The CHL is unlikely to want to change the rules when the deal with the NHL expires.  I think the only workable solution is an exceptional status designation by NHL teams for a limited number of prospects over a period of years; say 2 players over 5 years.  

Now that NIL has hit the college ranks and the myth of amateur college athletes is gone maybe, it's time for CHL players to be able to move to the NCAA.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

OHL?  Here’s 10: Ryan Ellis, Dougie Hamilton, Mark Scheifle, Ryan Strome, Slater Koekerk, Darnell Nurse, Michael Dal Colle,  Dylan Strome, Tyler Boucher, Brandt Clarke. 

That’s just the OHL. 

Savoie will be fine. If he turns out to be the Slater Koekerk or Micheal Dal  Colle of the 2022 draft, it won’t be because he played his 19 yr old season in the WHL. 

Thanks.  I like the scheifle comparison. 
he never plays a full season in the AHL. 

he jumps right into the NHL and contributes right away after his 2 years in OHL.   
I can see Savoie, Kulich, Östlund and Rosen playing another season in AHL in 24/25

To me the rule is just nonsense. 

1) of the league is good at developing players it will draw young players. 

2) Once the player is drafted by an NHL team he should be able to play college or if the team signs him they should have the rights to place him wherever. Simple as that. Savoie should be in the AHL. But he better work his *** off to get bigger, stronger, and faster to handle the NHL. However I have doubts that the Sabres organization is as focused on development. Looking at the young players on the team they seem to just let them decide for themselves what they do. If I’m the organization I’m telling these guys - you need to do X, Y, and Z to develop your body each off season and this is where we expect you each year and in 3 yrs you need to be reaching these marks  in weight, speed, skills, etc. 

While it’s great to see him dominating in the WHL, it’s too easy. Too easy to score. I can see it hurt his development. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

2) Once the player is drafted by an NHL team he should be able to play college or if the team signs him they should have the rights to place him wherever. Simple as that. Savoie should be in the AHL. But he better work his *** off to get bigger, stronger, and faster to handle the NHL. However I have doubts that the Sabres organization is as focused on development. Looking at the young players on the team they seem to just let them decide for themselves what they do. If I’m the organization I’m telling these guys - you need to do X, Y, and Z to develop your body each off season and this is where we expect you each year and in 3 yrs you need to be reaching these marks  in weight, speed, skills, etc. 

While it’s great to see him dominating in the WHL, it’s too easy. Too easy to score. I can see it hurt his development. 

I completely disagree - development of prospects is one of the few feathers in the cap of the organization. 

40 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Name names. Which young guys are just left to their own devices and not getting better? Quinn? Peterka? Rosen? Kulich? Which one?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Name names. Which young guys are just left to their own devices and not getting better? Quinn? Peterka? Rosen? Kulich? Which one?

Just from hearing what the players themselves say about their off-season workouts (all look to be different). Kulich adds 15 lbs of muscle. Great job! Rosen says he needs to get stronger but stays about the same. Savoie very little (he’s at 172). On the big club, Power, Cozens, Tage. Particularly, Power. Not really proving to be stronger nor improved skating. Even guys like Krebs or Jost stayed about the same in size and physicality. 

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Just from hearing what the players themselves say about their off-season workouts (all look to be different). Kulich adds 15 lbs of muscle. Great job! Rosen says he needs to get stronger but stays about the same. Savoie very little (he’s at 172). On the big club, Power, Cozens, Tage. Particularly, Power. Not really proving to be stronger nor improved skating. Even guys like Krebs or Jost stayed about the same in size and physicality. 

What are you even talking about? Power is in his sophomore slump which everyone saw coming and he needs agility more than muscle IMPO. Read this and then come back, honestly this entire board has lost its ***** mind at this point. You think that all Power has to do is just lift some weights and add some muscle and BAM! he is will be amazing and that isn't the reality and it isn't happening in one offseason. Tage Thompson has also talked about how he has changed and improved his strength/speed combo over the last 4 years so idk why the ***** he is listed here. 

That quick acceleration that Hedman now has on the ice, it started with improvements he made on the track in Ovik. One of the tests Dettner uses is a 10-meter dash, where Hedman has gone from 1.73 seconds in 2013 to 1.61 last year. That’s .12 in seven years. It may not seem like much, but Dettner puts it in hockey terms.

“From blue line to blue line, that’s more than a club length,” Dettner said.

https://theathletic.com/1983489/2020/08/17/behind-the-workouts-that-were-a-game-changer-for-the-lightnings-victor-hedman/

• 2 weeks later...

Canada’s World Junior team is having a training camp in Oakville this week. Final cuts are tonight.

Savoie didn’t play in yesterday’s game vs USports all stars so I would take that meaning he is a lock to make the team. They have 4 goalies at camp and all 4 of them played 1/2 game yesterday, two suited up for each team.

Ratzlaff had the best save % of the four.

They play another game this afternoon and then announce the final roster.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Canada’s World Junior team is having a training camp in Oakville this week. Final cuts are tonight.

Savoie didn’t play in yesterday’s game vs USports all stars so I would take that meaning he is a lock to make the team. They have 4 goalies at camp and all 4 of them played 1/2 game yesterday, two suited up for each team.

Ratzlaff had the best save % of the four.

They play another game this afternoon and then announce the final roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.