GDT: Flyers @ Sabres - November 3, 2023 - 7:00PM, NHLN/MSG-B📺WGR📻

Doohickie

1 minute ago, KC Scouts said:

Just a little curious here.....at what point does the finger get pointed a Donnie?

I'm ready.  Been to 4 games this year. 0-4. Absolute garbage product on the ice. (rangers, calgary, montreal, philly). It looks like they are warming up at practice trying fancy/fun passes. Someone needs to blow the damn whistle and coach them. "be direct". you been saying that for a month and they still play like it's pond hockey. Even EJ tonight.  Ugh.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Just got home from that SH** Show they called a hockey game.  JUST AWFUL

I hope it turns around soon.....the patience with this group is wearing thin. The Boo Birds were pretty loud after each period, don't know how much was heard on the TV broadcast but it was pretty loud. 

They were heard, and even acknowledged by Dan.  Didn’t invest the time and energy like those who did go to the game, but watching, I was disappointed the same.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Just a little curious here.....at what point does the finger get pointed a Donnie?

It never does because for whatever reason Don Granato has won the majority of Buffalo Sabres fans over even though he was on Ralph Krueger staff. And hasn’t accomplished anything as Sabres head coach. Ted Nolan was like that too but at least Ted Nolan accomplished a little bit more. I don’t get the it’s never Don Granato fault but Ken Dorsey of the Buffalo Bills has accomplished way more as a assistant coach than Don Granato but Buffalo Bills fans want Ken Dorsey fired. It’s a mystery to me but unfortunately many of our Buffalo fans fall in love with the wrong coaches and players it’s one of the many reasons why Buffalo Sabres doesn’t win anything. The Buffalo Sabres played terrible against the Philadelphia Flyers tonight onto to the Toronto Maple Leafs tomorrow in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Sabres Super Fan

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

The home-away record is bafflilng.  Last year they played at a  106 point team on the road, a 76 point team at home.

This year this game puts them below .500 at home again (its early, but a 70 point pace at home).

FYI, league average home/away record not counting the Sabres is about a 96 point pace at home, 83 point pace at home...this season.

So yes, teams DO play much better at home than away...but the Sabres continue to not be able to do so.

Not that baffling. Sabres do not make major adjustments or changes in style, suck on face offs, and Granato has no clue on line matching. Road teams coming in to our building play road style games with tighter checking and more defensive emphasis (in general) so it's not that we play all that much worse at home, just that the opposition teams play differently than they do at home, where they try to "entertain" more and tend to play more open and offensively oriented (again, in general). 

We do not handle physicality or adversity well and we are poorly coached in terms of game management and specific adjustments to match the specific opposition. 

We are clueless. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

UPL deserves another shot before I say it’s the old him again. 

Comrie is week to week, so what is your guess  on games played going forward with UPL?  We have 10 games including the Thanksgiving weekend before Comrie is an option. This includes two sets of back to back.  How many games does he see?  The Pens on 11/11, Chicago on 11/19 and Pens again on 24th?   Levi has the next two (assuming he gets both), both tough games against Toronto and Carolina.  Possible UPL gets Minnesota.  When does he get another real  “shot”, and not just his turn in the rotation as a back up?  A legit chance at taking 7 of 10 games.  Is it another Levi injury? Last week I was convinced KA was genius for keeping a three man rotation, tonight I’m MF’ing him for not trading this summer.  The gummies have helped subside the pain.  An oft injured Comrie, inconsistent UPL and an unknown quantity in Levi. Ethos, Pathos and Logos. 

• Like (+1) 2

They are playing like the youngest team in the league. KAs mix is off. He needs a dash more seasoned vet(still capable of playing the game) a pinch more grit and leave the development of the youngsters in the AHL. Its high time this squad started winning no ? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

They are playing like the youngest team in the league. KAs mix is off. He needs a dash more seasoned vet(still capable of playing the game) a pinch more grit and leave the development of the youngsters in the AHL. Its high time this squad started winning no ? 

There is truth to this. But what I am seeing at least, is not so much player age related. This roster lacks nearly any kind of desire, passion. These type of games aren't the exceptions, they are the norm for this roster. If the players cannot find it within themselves to play with purpose, then start trading them and get players in here who will. That's my view of it anyways. I'm tired of 12 seasons of going nowhere.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bunomatic said:

This has nothing to do with youth and everything to do with effort (or lack of). They are the exact opposite of the Nolan era "Hardest Working Team In Hockey": constantly outhustled and outworked.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, sabremike said:

This has nothing to do with youth and everything to do with effort (or lack of). They are the exact opposite of the Nolan era "Hardest Working Team In Hockey": constantly outhustled and outworked.

I thought this team was being built like the Lindy Ruff lead Devils. And by comparison they were a much faster team than us a few days ago even though we got the win.

That alone has been a big concern for me. We’re built on youth, skill, and scoring, and we just look so slow at times. It’s weird. 

Beating Philly 5-2 the other day was a mirage. That wasn’t a “we figured out how to do it ugly”. That was lucky. You can’t win NHL games with 15 SOG. 

You almost hope the problem is Donnie, because if it isn’t then it means that these players aren’t what we thought. And this patience/slow burn just means we’re another 3-5 years away. The problem has to be coaching or we have to start over.

• Like (+1) 1

Been down with Covid  so turned it on only long enough to see two goals bang,bang. So not feeling well I admit to not watching the game. One thing I will say when we talk about young talent is sometimes you haven't had to be that hard working you got by on your talent but then you get to the NHL and everyone has talent. Also a collection of talent may not be a good team. Do the pieces fit together. That's where the GM and coaches responsibilities come into play.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well, you might. And some fans might. But I bet KA won’t be. At least not yet. I really believe DG has a longer rope than what some fans are comfortable with. 
Time will tell….

I believe this also. He has Adams believing that this team is a development team and is allowed to have teenagers on the squad to “develop” them when all other NHL teams would have sent him back. I don’t care what Adams or DG said. these player don’t have any expectations other than to continue to develop. The Sabres are suppose to be a NHL team and not a development team. That is what the AHL is for. I think it’s absolutely amazing how anyone would think that this team is a playoff ready team with an 18 yr old forward and a 21 yr old starting goalie. Tell me, in NHL history, where a NHL team with a 21 yr old rookie goaltender; in his first year starting; went to the playoffs. With another young goalie who is just starting his potential break out years.

last season was an anomaly. You had several players go way beyond expectations. Maybe that was a vision of a few years into the future but that wasn’t reality.  We’re seeing reality now. This is what the Sabres were expected to be last year. Now fans want last season this season and beyond. Maybe they will figure it out  soon and make the playoffs. I doubt it but it would be a pleasant surprise for me. 

call me a pessimist, a troll, a grumpy old man (now that I’m 50 👴😂). I just don’t have extremely high expectations for a team made up of players that probably should be developing in lower leagues and a coach who should be doing the same. Plus, the organization has routinely failed on its promises and expectations so I won’t believe it till I see it.

I am still a fan. I will still wear my gear, watch most games and will root for them to win. I just don’t expect it anymore. 

💙💛 🖤❤️  For life! 

Edited by Sidc3000

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

I believe this also. He has Adams believing that this team is a development team and is allowed to have teenagers on the squad to “develop” them when all other NHL teams would have sent him back. I don’t care what Adams or DG said. these player don’t have any expectations other than to continue to develop. The Sabres are suppose to be a NHL team and not a development team. That is what the AHL is for. I think it’s absolutely amazing how anyone would think that this team is a playoff ready team with an 18 yr old forward and a 21 yr old starting goalie. Tell me, in NHL history, where a NHL team with a 21 yr old rookie goaltender; in his first year starting; went to the playoffs. With another young goalie who is just starting his potential break out years.

last season was an anomaly. You had several players go way beyond expectations. Maybe that was a vision of a few years into the future but that wasn’t reality.  We’re seeing reality now. This is what the Sabres were expected to be last year. Now fans want last season this season and beyond. Maybe they will figure it out  soon and make the playoffs. I doubt it but it would be a pleasant surprise for me. 

call me a pessimist, a troll, a grumpy old man (now that I’m 50 👴😂). I just don’t have extremely high expectations for a team made up of players that probably should be developing in lower leagues and a coach who should be doing the same. Plus, the organization has routinely failed on its promises and expectations so I won’t believe it till I see it.

I am still a fan. I will still wear my gear, watch most games and will root for them to win. I just don’t expect it anymore. 

💙💛 🖤❤️  For life! 

Which current players should be in lower leagues?  Benson is hurt.  Rousek is 25, Biro is 24.  Power is 20 but he was a 1st overall pick that already went back to college for a year.  Everyone else is pretty much where they belong.  

9 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Just got home from that SH** Show they called a hockey game.  JUST AWFUL

I hope it turns around soon.....the patience with this group is wearing thin. The Boo Birds were pretty loud after each period, don't know how much was heard on the TV broadcast but it was pretty loud. 

The Boo’s were so loud after the first period that the clowns on the TNT intermission called our town “Booffalo”.  They had very pointed remarks about the soft play and the lack of effort from this team for two games.  

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not that baffling. Sabres do not make major adjustments or changes in style, suck on face offs, and Granato has no clue on line matching. Road teams coming in to our building play road style games with tighter checking and more defensive emphasis (in general) so it's not that we play all that much worse at home, just that the opposition teams play differently than they do at home, where they try to "entertain" more and tend to play more open and offensively oriented (again, in general). 

We do not handle physicality or adversity well and we are poorly coached in terms of game management and specific adjustments to match the specific opposition. 

We are clueless. 

With all that, what about having the final change at home?  That should be an advantage but it never is.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I thought this team was being built like the Lindy Ruff lead Devils. And by comparison they were a much faster team than us a few days ago even though we got the win.

That alone has been a big concern for me. We’re built on youth, skill, and scoring, and we just look so slow at times. It’s weird. 

Beating Philly 5-2 the other day was a mirage. That wasn’t a “we figured out how to do it ugly”. That was lucky. You can’t win NHL games with 15 SOG. 

You almost hope the problem is Donnie, because if it isn’t then it means that these players aren’t what we thought. And this patience/slow burn just means we’re another 3-5 years away. The problem has to be coaching or we have to start over.

They look slow because they seem afraid to touch or be touched by another player.  I said this last year. When they play Philly (or teams like them) they slow down and play guarded.   If they look slow it is because they are playing that way. 

This team is going to get their coach fired.  

Just now, PASabreFan said:

What does that tell ya?

It tells me what I don’t want to believe about DG, Mattie and the gang. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I hate to say it, because I like DM, but I am pretty close to concluding that the Sabres have an issue at coach.  The consistent failure to show up at home is 100% between the ears.  It’s the coach’s job to get them ready and focused, and it is clearly not happening.

If it’s still like this at New Year’s I think I am going to want to make a change.  

Please hear me out. This isn’t on the head coach so much as it is on the roster construction specific to goaltending & defense.
People don’t like to hear it, because yeah, there weren’t a lot of great options out there this summer, but Buffalo did nothing significant to address it. That does not fall on Granato. Rolling with Levi as G1 was also not his decision to make.

I’d rather see KA go out there and try to make some adjustments now before we call for Donny’s head.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.