Zach Benson is week to week with a LBI

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Granato: *nudge, nudge* "So Zach, that leg is feeling not so great today right?" *wink wink*  "Might just have to put you on IR for a few weeks."

Stashes Benson to prolong "tryout" and bring up Savoie from Rochester to start his tryout.

Adams and Granato playing Chess here, not checkers fool!

How exactly does sitting around not playing for a few weeks as an 18 year old help his development?   

Juniors has never ruined a prospect... forcing them into action too early in their career has... countless times. 

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I keep seeing posts that imply that there is a problem with Savoie's and Benson's junior team.  I forgot what it was.  Please re-iterate.

Their coach got fired before the season started. The new coach was in the AHL last year (and has been an AHL coach for a bit I think), but I guess there is uncertainty about how good things will be with the last minute change

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I keep seeing posts that imply that there is a problem with Savoie's and Benson's junior team.  I forgot what it was.  Please re-iterate.

The new head coach (Kevin Constantine) who was hired in the offseason, was suspended until 2025 for discriminatory comments.    This all happened before the season even started. 

Their current head coach is Roy Sommer, who was head coach of the San Jose AHL team last season. 

Wenatchee is currently 1st place in their division and 2nd in the conference.

• Thanks (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

How exactly does sitting around not playing for a few weeks as an 18 year old help his development?   

Juniors has never ruined a prospect... forcing them into action too early in their career has... countless times. 

Juniors may not help them much either if they are already well above that level. 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah I get the conspiracy theories around those 2, but really it would've been best for their long term development if they were both back in junior playing 25min a game in all situations.

KA needs to show a little more patience with these young prospects, hopefully this doesn't stunt their development.

The CHL rule preventing them from playing in the A is hurting their development the most. Playing another season in the WHL won’t do a damn thing to further their development as players. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So Lance tweets out that KA says week to week.  A couple hours later Sabres social media person tweets day to day. 

So, which one is it?

IF he was put on IR, it's at least 1 week he's out from Sunday.  So, they might consider him only out through Saturday's game which from this point is a few days.  But he'll technically not play in a game until at least next Friday (which is the Sabres 1st game after the Loafs game) which is nearly 2 weeks from his previous game.

So, depending upon how you're looking at it, they both could be correct.  (And, on a different note, they'd better win the TO game because stewing on a loss in that one for nearly a week will leave this place almost unbearable.)

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hoping that however this plays out that if he and/or Savoie aren't going to get regular action down the stretch this season in Buffalo that they both get sent back before they reach 40 games on the Sabres roster (not necessarily playing but being on the roster).  Because that is when they get credit for a year of service in the NHL and that does bring them each 1 year closer to RFA and UFA statuses.

Does time on IR or the rehab stint count towards this at all?  I feel like Savoie's count should currently be at zero, but I don't know the exact rule.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t get why people are so concerned about “the Wenatchee situation”.  What’s the situation exactly?  Everything there should be pretty normal now, no?

I can tell you one thing that isn't normal.  They must be thrilled to be at this point of the season without two of their top players, especially in the first year after relocation.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Granato: *nudge, nudge* "So Zach, that leg is feeling not so great today right?" *wink wink*  "Might just have to put you on IR for a few weeks."

Stashes Benson to prolong "tryout" and bring up Savoie from Rochester to start his tryout.

Adams and Granato playing Chess here, not checkers fool!

Doesn't he have 4 more games he can play ? 

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does time on IR or the rehab stint count towards this at all?  I feel like Savoie's count should currently be at zero, but I don't know the exact rule.

I can tell you one thing that isn't normal.  They must be thrilled to be at this point of the season without two of their top players, especially in the first year after relocation.

Time on a conditioning stint when the player isn't coming off BF-LTIR counts as active roster for accrued seasons for pension and FA.  It is also supposed to count against the 23 man active roster.  Don't believe it counts against the burning of a year of the ELC for having played in 10 games because the player isn't actually playing any NHL games.    Only time in actual NHL games counts towards that 10 game threshold to prevent the ELC from sliding a year.

Time on a conditioning stint coming off BF-LTIR doesn't count against the team's 23 man active roster.  But, in order to bring him onto the active roster, the team will need to have an open slot for him.

Time on IR doesn't count as active roster for the 23 man roster, but it does count as active roster in terms of accrued seasons for pension & FA matters provided the injury was hockey related and from the current season.

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Doesn't he have 4 more games he can play ? 

Benson has played in 6 of the Sabres 1st 9 games.  He can play in 3 more wthout "burning" the 1st year of his ELC.  But if he plays in that 4th game that would get him to 10, his 1st ELC year can no longer slide.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

He gets to Sponge off other NHL players ? 

I don't get why this is bad he will be in player meetings break and get to  down of film.

that will help a lot.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Time on a conditioning stint when the player isn't coming off BF-LTIR counts as active roster for accrued seasons for pension and FA.  It is also supposed to count against the 23 man active roster.  Don't believe it counts against the burning of a year of the ELC for having played in 10 games because the player isn't actually playing any NHL games.    Only time in actual NHL games counts towards that 10 game threshold to prevent the ELC from sliding a year.

Time on a conditioning stint coming off BF-LTIR doesn't count against the team's 23 man active roster.  But, in order to bring him onto the active roster, the team will need to have an open slot for him.

Time on IR doesn't count as active roster for the 23 man roster, but it does count as active roster in terms of accrued seasons for pension & FA matters provided the injury was hockey related and from the current season.

Benson has played in 6 of the Sabres 1st 9 games.  He can play in 3 more wthout "burning" the 1st year of his ELC.  But if he plays in that 4th game that would get him to 10, his 1st ELC year can no longer slide.

Talking about Savoie

Edited by Buffalonill

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He gets to Sponge off other NHL players ? 

I don't get why this is bad he will be in player meetings break and get to  down of film.

that will help a lot.

Talking about Savoie

He would also be at 3 games left (but for the Amerks).

He can play in 9 more Sabres games before burning his 1st ELC year.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Yeah I get the conspiracy theories around those 2, but really it would've been best for their long term development if they were both back in junior playing 25min a game in all situations.

KA needs to show a little more patience with these young prospects, hopefully this doesn't stunt their development.

I say this in good faith, but….prove it.

If the best way for Benson to get better is to get stronger, then is it more beneficial for him to play 25 mins per game against junior players, or to spend a lot of extra time working out and also practicing and training with pro players and trainers?

I don’t think the answer is obviously that it’s better for him to be in juniors.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I say this in good faith, but….prove it.

If the best way for Benson to get better is to get stronger, then is it more beneficial for him to play 25 mins per game against junior players, or to spend a lot of extra time working out and also practicing and training with pro players and trainers?

I don’t think the answer is obviously that it’s better for him to be in juniors.

It’s not. As I’ve said previously and as Peterka attested to last week, the biggest adjustment for young players to make when first entering the league is to the sheer speed of the game compared to juniors. And the only thing to improve that is to play against it, both in practice and in games. 

It’s great that they can go back and dominate on a level they’ve already graduated from, but it won’t help them make the necessary adjustment to the much faster NHL game. Unfortunately the CHL rule governing their eligibility to remain with the Sabres as well as the numbers game we have at forward currently, will most likely dictate the return to juniors. 

But I’m glad KA and Co. seem to be scheming to maximize their time and exposure to NHL level competition in the meantime. 

48 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s not. As I’ve said previously and as Peterka attested to last week, the biggest adjustment for young players to make when first entering the league is to the sheer speed of the game compared to juniors. And the only thing to improve that is to play against it, both in practice and in games. 

It’s great that they can go back and dominate on a level they’ve already graduated from, but it won’t help them make the necessary adjustment to the much faster NHL game. Unfortunately the CHL rule governing their eligibility to remain with the Sabres as well as the numbers game we have at forward currently, will most likely dictate the return to juniors. 

But I’m glad KA and Co. seem to be scheming to maximize their time and exposure to NHL level competition in the meantime. 

Rosen and Kulich last year were not hurt in the slightest playing against men as scrawny underagers last year.

They sucked to start, got better and have emerged as 1st-liners so far this year at that level.

Another parallel might be Kisakov, who was really scrawny and overmatched as an underager in the AHL last year, produced little and sat a lot.

He's a point per game so far this year.

Benson is ahead of all these guys as a hockey player.

My point is there is no single right path or wrong path to develop, or ruin a prospect, no matter what hockey culture will tell you.

They're individuals. Do what's best for each one. This version of the Sabres seems to have a pretty good handle on it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Rosen and Kulich last year were not hurt in the slightest playing against men as scrawny underagers last year.

They sucked to start, got better and have emerged as 1st-liners so far this year at that level.

Another parallel might be Kisakov, who was really scrawny and overmatched as an underager in the AHL last year, produced little and sat a lot.

He's a point per game so far this year.

Benson is ahead of all these guys as a hockey player.

My point is there is no single right path or wrong path to develop, or ruin a prospect, no matter what hockey culture will tell you.

They're individuals. Do what's best for each one. This version of the Sabres seems to have a pretty good handle on it.

Some people here seem to know more than Don Granato on how to develop hockey players.   

Granato chronology =>  4 years HC USHL, 3 years HC ECHL, 7 years HC AHL, 3 years HC of US Hockey National Team (17U, 18U, 17U), 1 year HC Big-10, 4 1/2 years Asst HC NHL, 1/2 year interim HC NHL, 2 years HC NHL.  

You may not like his system, or his game day coaching, but how many people might there be that know more about developing Benson, Savoie and the gang?   

Italian Lol GIF by Justin Gammon

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.