GDT: 🏒 Buffalo Sabres @ New Jersey Devils 27 October 2023 7:00 PM MSG

MattPie

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Once they got that one chance and tied the game 4-4, you have to get that game to OT.  That’s all that matters and they just lack urgency or a killer instinct or any of that intangible stuff that the good teams have.

This is exactly what my buddy and I were talking about when the Sabres got their fourth goal. Sometimes the hockey is wild, and you're clinging on for dear life, your goalie gets hurt, the other team is good, whatever. But when you get to 4-4 that late in the game, real hockey teams get the game to OT. They batten the hatches, find a way to at least get that point. We both knew what everyone in this thread and everyone on the bench knew - this game wasn't ever going to get to overtime. The goaltending was not going to hold up, the defensive zone coverage wasn't going to hold up, and the forwards were out of control, completely frazzled - they were whiffing, weak-wristed, couldn't bear down on anything. It was obvious and it didn't even bother me, because that is the team we chose to come into the season with. 

Everything we needed to do but didn't do, every hole we needed to fill, was in a position that would help a team get through a game like this one. We never did those things, and so the game played out just like it did last year. Whatever. That's what they wanted, that's what they get. They can deal with the consequences when it all plays out one way or another. 

The Sabres desperately needed a vet who can play forward, especially as Okposo gets older. It's clear that whatever he can bring to a game mentally and with experience isn't going to help with how limited he now is as a player. We needed a shift from one or two players just like this, to settle things down and get the game tilted more evenly in the third. The Quinn injury only added to the heaping pile of reasons to make an addition like this. But Kevyn didn't do anything. And he won't.

The Sabres desperately needed a goalie they could rely on in the event that Levi struggled with his first time experiencing this workload and this level of hockey for an extended period of time. A real goalie, that has been there before. They stuck with the three headed monster, Comrie who can't ever stay healthy, UPL who just can't play and will never play in an NHL game where he allows fewer than 3. Well, Levi was overloaded after being played 4 games in a row, Comrie got hurt, and UPL led the team in melting down, just as you'd expect. Kevyn had every reason to make an addition with foresight for a game like tonight or a start like this. But Kevyn didn't do anything. And he won't, even with these injuries. 

He has told us this all along, and we should listen to him

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They are 2 games under .500 not 12

they are 25% of their games played under .500, which would correspond to 20 games under .500 if extrapolated, hence last place pace

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is exactly what my buddy and I were talking about when the Sabres got their fourth goal. Sometimes the hockey is wild, and you're clinging on for dear life, your goalie gets hurt, the other team is good, whatever. But when you get to 4-4 that late in the game, real hockey teams get the game to OT. They shackle down, find a way to at least get that point. We both knew what everyone in this thread and everyone on the bench knew - this game wasn't ever going to get to overtime. The goaltending was not going to hold up, the defensive zone coverage wasn't going to hold up, and the forwards were out of control, completely frazzled - they were whiffing, weak-wristed, couldn't bear down on anything. It was obvious and it didn't even bother me, because that is the team we chose to come into the season with. 

Everything we needed to do but didn't do, every hole we needed to fill, was in a position that would help a team get through a game like this one. We never did those things, and so the game played out just like it did last year. Whatever. That's what they wanted, that's what they get. They can deal with the consequences when it all plays out one way or another. 

The Sabres desperately needed a vet who can play forward, especially as Okposo gets older. It's clear that whatever he can bring to a game mentally and with experience isn't going to help with how limited he now is as a player. We needed a shift from one or two players just like this, to settle things down and get the game tilted more evenly in the third. The Quinn injury only added to the heaping pile of reasons to make an addition like this. But Kevyn didn't do anything. And he won't.

The Sabres desperately needed a goalie they could rely on in the event that Levi struggled with his first time experiencing this workload and this level of hockey for an extended period of time. A real goalie, that has been there before. They stuck with the three headed monster, Comrie who can't ever stay healthy, UPL who just can't play and will never play in an NHL game where he allows fewer than 3. Well, Levi was overloaded after being played 4 games in a row, Comrie got hurt, and UPL led the team in melting down, just as you'd expect. Kevyn had every reason to make an addition with foresight for a game like tonight or a start like this. But Kevyn didn't do anything. And he won't, even with these injuries. 

they are 25% of their games played under .500, which would correspond to 20 games under .500 if extrapolated, hence last 

UPL wasn't the reason we lost but in a way he was. None of those goals were on him but it was clear watching live that everything went downhill when he came in. When teams have no confidence in their goalies it affects their play and here it clearly did. Playing most of the game with 5 defensemen also ended up a killer.

Second your take on getting the game to OT. They CONSTANTLY give up late goals to piss away points and if you look back at last season that was in fact what cost us the playoffs.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe. They definitely didn't do it correctly for a long time. We'll see what happens this season, but as of right now, I have the Sabres not making the playoffs, ranking them 23 out of 32 teams.

I agree with that. Unless something changes drastically (like a goalie trade) I don't see them making the playoffs and likely being lower than last year despite Peterka having a breakout year, which I still hold to in terms of predictions. 

Why a team that had Hasek and Miller would not subscribe to the age old idea that you build out from the goal idk but there it is. I guess Pegula and Co. don't pay any attention to history.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is exactly what my buddy and I were talking about when the Sabres got their fourth goal. Sometimes the hockey is wild, and you're clinging on for dear life, your goalie gets hurt, the other team is good, whatever. But when you get to 4-4 that late in the game, real hockey teams get the game to OT. They batten the hatches, find a way to at least get that point. We both knew what everyone in this thread and everyone on the bench knew - this game wasn't ever going to get to overtime. The goaltending was not going to hold up, the defensive zone coverage wasn't going to hold up, and the forwards were out of control, completely frazzled - they were whiffing, weak-wristed, couldn't bear down on anything. It was obvious and it didn't even bother me, because that is the team we chose to come into the season with. 

they are 25% of their games played under .500, which would correspond to 20 games under .500 if extrapolated, hence last place pace

Agree 100% with what you said. All the success KA has had in other areas (signing good contracts ect.) is completely wiped away by his failure to address obvious needs in the lineup.  And this goes all the way back to his hiring. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

As a fan I’m not sure I can do another tear down.

Agree…

Do imagine KA/DG and McBeane are safe for 2-3 more years… though Pegula is unpredictable…

Attendance, fan support, local and national media… the new stadium and arena upgrades… cap space and big payrolls… so many factors putting pressure on both teams to compete at the highest level for the next 5-10 years.

We are poised for success… Go Sabres!… Go Bills!

I think we are putting it together SLOWLY, so far this season. The general trend is up since that abysmal opener against the NYR.

That being said, I don’t see how anyone ( including coaches and mangement) can be happy with their results at this point. I think we’ve graduated from “ we have potential and we are developing” to where we really need to see tangible results in the standings

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's amazing how blinded large portions of this board are to the Sabres on ice improvement from last season. 

Not sure that’s true.  GF is down from 3.57 to 2.88.  GA is slightly improved from 3.68 to 3.38 but our save% is actually worse and still well below league average according to hockey-reference.  The PP is worse as well. Only the improved PK stands out as a major improvement.  

If these trends hold the Sabres differential this season will finish around  -41.  Last year their differential was only -11.  That’s not improvement. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.