Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Why do some hockey traditionalists loathe young players like Bedard?  There sure seems to be a lot of animosity toward the kid.  (Not here really, just most other places on the interwebs)

Misplaced Blackhawks hatred and bitterness.  Not his fault they won the lottery. 

22 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Misplaced Blackhawks hatred and bitterness.  Not his fault they won the lottery. 

The Blackhawks organization’s treatment of Kyle Beach was really disturbing too.

I cheered for them last night simply because I don’t want the Pens to get any points. I will do the same when they play other Eastern teams.

This has no bearing on the game but my superstitious mind thinks it helps the Sabres get to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Same happened to Crosby.  Never understood it.

💯never understood the Crosby hate. All the dude has done is represent the league with class.  Probably exceeded expectations, definitely lived up to the hype.  

One thing that was a little over the top and maybe a cause for some of the hate for Bedard was the network firmly on their knees in front of dude from start to finish of the game.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

💯never understood the Crosby hate. All the dude has done is represent the league with class.  Probably exceeded expectations, definitely lived up to the hype.  

One thing that was a little over the top and maybe a cause for some of the hate for Bedard was the network firmly on their knees in front of dude from start to finish of the game.  

Agree entirely that ESPN was polishing Bedard’s knob the entire evening, but that’s not Bedard’s fault in the least and anyone upset with Bedard for that reason needs to be upset with the network instead. I enjoyed watching the kid play and it’s easy to see why the hype is there. He’s gonna be one of the greats before he’s done in this league.

• Agree 1

Personally I never disliked Crosby as a person/player. What I disliked was how much OLN/VS constantly talked about the guy, even in games he wasn't playing in. They aren't alone in this. Collensworth talks about Maholmes all the time. It's a thing most national broadcasts do with star players.

As someone who followed the Caps a lot while the Sabres were terrible, I liked the Pens/Caps rivalry. Although Crosby and Ovi are 2 very different players. Both are fun to watch though.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Yeah, watching the game with the sound off in the bar after our beer league game, right after Chicago scored goals 3 & 4 ESPN immediately cut to Bedard who happened to be sitting on the bench for both goals.  Can only imagine (and don't really want to) the full extent of the slobberfest.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

The Blackhawks organization’s treatment of Kyle Beach was really disturbing too.

Absolutely. I didn’t mean my comment to imply that the Blackhawks are not an absolute shltshow of an organisation. They should be hated on, but as Bedard is the new face of the NHL he is receiving more than his fair share of animosity. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Crosby whined to the refs. That's what created the hate. He does it a lot less now but for years he'd whine about every little thing. If you weren't a fan, it created the hate, or at least the dislike. 

Bedard? idk, the league (and the tv networks) love superstars so they elevate a new big name in a new season. They will switch storylines to whoever does big things this year as long as they can put a face on it. 

I guarantee you this year the thing that will really irritate  everyone here the most is how much attention Eichel will get. It'll be a LOT. 

3 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Personally I never disliked Crosby as a person/player. What I disliked was how much OLN/VS constantly talked about the guy, even in games he wasn't playing in. They aren't alone in this. Collensworth talks about Maholmes all the time. It's a thing most national broadcasts do with star players.

As someone who followed the Caps a lot while the Sabres were terrible, I liked the Pens/Caps rivalry. Although Crosby and Ovi are 2 very different players. Both are fun to watch though.

Aside from a few Sabres, Ovi ranks as my favorite player of all time. While some of that may have to do with living in DC for 30 years, most of it is just because he plays the game the right way. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Aside from a few Sabres, Ovi ranks as my favorite player of all time. While some of that may have to do with living in DC for 30 years, most of it is just because he plays the game the right way. 

One of the things I love about Ovi is he celebrates his teammates goals like he scored it. Also, I've never seen someone so happy to finally win the cup as he was. I'm sure there have been others, but he was out partying with all the fans and just having a grand old time. It was cool to see.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Crosby whined to the refs. That's what created the hate. He does it a lot less now but for years he'd whine about every little thing. If you weren't a fan, it created the hate, or at least the dislike. 

I never bought into that claim.  I’ll go so far as to say I think it was a bull ***** claim.  Falls under the category of seeing what you want to see.

I wasn’t a Crosby fan.  I was decidedly Crosby neutral, but found the whiny claims grossly overstated.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

I never bought into that claim.  I’ll go so far as to say I think it was a bull ***** claim.  Falls under the category of seeing what you want to see.

I wasn’t a Crosby fan.  I was decidedly Crosby neutral, but found the whiny claims grossly overstated.

I honestly remember plenty of Crosby being a crybaby in his early years. Guy would complain to refs constantly about everything he perceived as a penalty. Sometime between his 1st Cup and 2013 he seemed to mature and behave less whiny. He’d look angry about non-calls instead of that more whiny “attitude” face kids make when having a tantrum.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Yes it always looks like a rave having sex with a circus and then threw up on a parade that wears hooker red lipstick and stilettos. 😂

Vegas baby 

And smells like weed.

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Bedard's first NHL goal comes against Ullmark and Boston. Aww jeesh. 

The kid looks amazing so far. 

Zach Braff, er, Connor Bedard, will have a good career.

• Haha (+1) 1