Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

If I could have the Winnipeg Hellebuyck, it makes it closer, but especially with that term the Sabres Hellebuyck is unlikely to be worth it. Hellebuyck’s biggest weaknesses when compared to other NHL goaltenders are on breakaways and cross ice passes down low. These two biggest weaknesses just so happen to be the Sabres biggest problems on defense, which makes it unlikely for Hellebuyck to be as good, and when he’s being paid as a top 3 goalie, he needs to be elite. Paying him that much till he is 38 would be a bad move for Buffalo. 

Hellebuyck isn’t weak in those areas compared to others, weird misnomer I’ve noticed around here. He’s well above average. Those are merely the areas he isn’t elite in. Ie he’s elite in most areas but only quite good in a couple.

it would be pretty odd to not add Hellebuyck for this specific reason because the only goalies that wouldn’t struggle mightily in those areas are the count-on-one-hand other elite goalies. It would be sort of weird to gameplan to have these terrible defensive deficiencies for the course of an 8 year term. It doesn’t matter who we have in net if we don’t fix the issues.

Edited by Thorny

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

Boom!

Boom!

Boom!

Yes!!!

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hellebuyck isn’t weak in those areas compared to others, weird misnomer I’ve noticed around here. He’s well above average. Those are merely the areas he isn’t elite in. Ie he’s elite in most areas but only quite good in a couple.

Hey, welcome back.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

It's not like who we root for has anything to do with the actual outcome of the game, anyway. I would prefer that Pitt loses as well, but screw Chicago.

Yep. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again

f*ck the Chicago blackhawks 

thats it

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Thanks, chief

I missed you 

I'm sure you didn't miss me but I'm glad you're back.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Knights know how to put on a show. Vegas, baby.

Unfortunately I just want to see a hockey game.  Honestly, all the pomp of the VGK opening ceremonies make me want to vomit.

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm sure you didn't miss me but I'm glad you're back.

Unfortunately I just want to see a hockey game.  Honestly, all the pomp of the VGK opening ceremonies make me want to vomit.

Fittingly, I can disagree with your post.

I missed every flower, and the garden itself.

this place deserves a better class of thorn, and I’m gonna give it to em 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

He doesn’t wear a turtleneck….

Definately saw him wear one at least once or twice. In warmups maybe, or walking into the rink before the game. Anyhoo it was more a joke than anything. No offence intended there. He is a great player and would add another layer of awesome to this team.

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

The 3 teams we need to beat out most likely are Pitt, Tampa or Boston. I just don’t understand the logic of wanting one of those 3 to win any night….ever.

Those teams are going to win and lose games no matter what. Rooting for any team has no impact on that. It is up to the Sabres to make sure they win more games over a six month season. 

I want the Sabres to make the playoffs but it’s still fun to see one team beat another. If TBL plays VGK in December, I will probably root for TBL. It’s a different story in Jan or Feb though. 

Bottom line is it’s weird that you honed in on something that didn’t go along with your perspective. It’s unhealthy (but funny) that it caused you to throw insults on night one of the season. 
Emotional Damage GIF by saschamoellersde

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Those teams are going to win and lose games no matter what. Rooting for any team has no impact on that. It is up to the Sabres to make sure they win more games over a six month season. 

I want the Sabres to make the playoffs but it’s still fun to see one team beat another. If TBL plays VGK in December, I will probably root for TBL. It’s a different story in Jan or Feb though. 

Bottom line is it’s weird that you honed in on something that didn’t go along with your perspective. It’s unhealthy (but funny) that it caused you to throw insults on night one of the season. 
Emotional Damage GIF by saschamoellersde

All good over here, and that was not intended to be an insult. Apologies if taken as one.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Why do some hockey traditionalists loathe young players like Bedard?  There sure seems to be a lot of animosity toward the kid.  (Not here really, just most other places on the interwebs)

Same happened to Crosby.  Never understood it.

• Like (+1) 1