Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

9 hours ago, inkman said:

I’d take a goalie of his caliber no matter the contract.  Good teams always find ways to navigate the cap.  

If I could have the Winnipeg Hellebuyck, it makes it closer, but especially with that term the Sabres Hellebuyck is unlikely to be worth it. Hellebuyck’s biggest weaknesses when compared to other NHL goaltenders are on breakaways and cross ice passes down low. These two biggest weaknesses just so happen to be the Sabres biggest problems on defense, which makes it unlikely for Hellebuyck to be as good, and when he’s being paid as a top 3 goalie, he needs to be elite. Paying him that much till he is 38 would be a bad move for Buffalo. 

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

NHL officiating comes out of the gate hot. A Pred gets held back right in front of the ref and can't retrieve a puck. Seconds later, a phantom high stick.

Gonna be a good year.

I know, seriously, how bad will the refs try and get Boston, Tampa and Pitt back for one final run. I am already bracing for it on Thursday.

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I know, seriously, how bad will the refs try and get Boston, Tampa and Pitt back for one final run. I am already bracing for it on Thursday.

More importantly, our young guys need to learn to use the refs. If I see one stick come near a Sabre's face and they don't snap their head back like they've been b***h slapped, I'm going to scream. Skinner is the only one who know how to actually draw a penalty.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

What a moment for Bedars with the opening face off against Sidney Crosby, wow. The ref was pretty fun to hear as he said good luck this season Sydney and welcome to the NHL Connor.

That was pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

How many points did we miss the playoffs last year? Ohhh yeah, 1. Every game matters in a 12 year playoff drought. Wanting Pitt to win is idiotic. 

It's not like who we root for has anything to do with the actual outcome of the game, anyway. I would prefer that Pitt loses as well, but screw Chicago.

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

If I could have the Winnipeg Hellebuyck, it makes it closer, but especially with that term the Sabres Hellebuyck is unlikely to be worth it. Hellebuyck’s biggest weaknesses when compared to other NHL goaltenders are on breakaways and cross ice passes down low. These two biggest weaknesses just so happen to be the Sabres biggest problems on defense, which makes it unlikely for Hellebuyck to be as good, and when he’s being paid as a top 3 goalie, he needs to be elite. Paying him that much till he is 38 would be a bad move for Buffalo. 

His biggest weakness, by far, is his (mis)handling of the puck. Worst in the league.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

One situation I’ll be keeping an eye on this season is the Elias Pettersson contract situation.

His situation is a parallel of Dahlin’s.  Both Swedes drafted the same year, both signed a 3 year bridge that they are about to play the last season of, and both had big star breakouts last season.  However, unlike the Sabres and Dahlin, the Canucks and Pettersson have publicly put contract talks on hold.  Seems like they are having trouble seeing eye to eye and Pettersson may be unsure if he wants to commit to that organization long term.

If they ever entertain the idea of trading him, I wouldn’t mind the Sabres taking a run at adding him.  He can play either C or W, he is a good defensive forward, and a very dynamic offensive player.  If the Sabres are going to make a trade packaging several assets to acquire a sure thing upgrade, he is a good candidate.

I’d consider including anyone except Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Levi, and maybe Benson.

I’d do it if he sheds the turtleneck. It would be a bad look for the team.😎