Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I just thought he was scratched didn't know about that hopefully he's all right

Ya, he's been on LTIR for quite a while now. Nobody is saying why. There is some speculation that he has never gotten over Covid and has issues from that. It's all guesswork though as Flyers won't say. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Bruins are my second most hated team, but I’ll be rooting for them to sweep my first most hated team in the playoffs. 

Oh ya it's normal for Sabres fans to hate Bruins. There's old history and rivalry too. Great old playoff series way way back. 

Leafs should be hated most though. One, just because of all the Canadian media love they get and when they lose that becomes hilariously entertaining and also just because they are right there over the river and up the highway. It's like Philly hating Pittsburgh. You just have to. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh ya it's normal for Sabres fans to hate Bruins. There's old history and rivalry too. Great old playoff series way way back. 

Leafs should be hated most though. One, just because of all the Canadian media love they get and when they lose that becomes hilariously entertaining and also just because they are right there over the river and up the highway. It's like Philly hating Pittsburgh. You just have to. 

My wife is from NY city with her whole family fans of NY teams.... I lived a few years in Boston and work for a company based there.... and living a lot of years RIGHT on the border with Canada (working with Canadians in our Canadian division), I can say, having probably been forced to talk/hear about teams OTHER than Buffalo teams for a good portion of my life, ONE fanbase is the most intolerable.  Yankee fans? They are close but no. Bruins/Red Sox/Patriots fans?  Not as bad to me as many make them out to be.  Maple Leaf fans? There you go!  and for ONE primary reason....They are always the victim.

Talk to a Leafs fan vs fans of any other team, and over the long term they will blame the refs for anything that goes wrong for them a LOT more often than any other fanbase.  "You know, the league doesn't want the leafs to win, so they make sure the refs are against us"  and "We never get any calls you have to know going into the game its the leafs vs the refs and any team they play".  "Everyone hates Toronto because they are jealous of us and our history, including the league so we never get the calls."

Or, then there is the fans saying "we will get any free agent we want because we are the Toronto Maple leafs, EVERYONE wants to play here".

I also liked the "the Sabres deserve what they got for tanking, that was terrible what Buffalo did they don't deserve to win" vs when the leafs obviously tanked for Austin Matthews "Thats just us being smarter than everyone else, it was a good move"

Finally, the best one (related to the above...and yes, all fanbases do this but I hear it more from leaf fans)...We should trade a bag of pucks, our 4th rounder in 2026 and our 5th rated prospect for McDavid (or any other Canadian born star in the league)...because you KNOW any players want to play for Toronto, it's their dream!  The other team would be smart just to take anything we offer right now, instead of losing them to us for nothing as a free agent".

I grew up watching the Leafs on Hockey Night in canada like many others...I liked them.  Its hard for me to like a team and for that to change...it is the behavior of Leaf fans that did that for me.  I have to admit I still follow them as much as any team other than the Sabres. Part of me deep down still likes them from my childhood, but their hardcore fans...unbearable.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Red Wings and Pens eliminated last night after Philly pulls the goalie in a tie game since they needed a win in regulation to make it in...had they went to OT and won they would have been out but the Red Wings would have been in...tough way to get knocked out of the playoffs...especially after scoring with 3.3 seconds left to send the game to OT and then win it...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I can't even imagine how fun it must be to be a Tampa Bay Lightning fan, the Stanley Cups, players with 100 assists in a season. While we watch guys doing locker clean outs spewing that we need to practice harder. 

Did you SEE that press conference though? 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Arizona lost Shane Doan's retired number banner because they left it behind when they got kicked out of their old arena. Some guy found it and returned it tonight. 

Whoever the ownership was involved in this should never be allowed to own another sports team again. Your most prominent start player and you can't even hand him his retirement banner? Good riddance to them and what a move by this person to give Doan his banner back, such class to do something like this insteaed of selling it or stealing it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

I admit, I'm curious to see the Phoenix fan reaction to their last home game, and how the team plays against McDavid.

I know a few people that went.  A lot of really bummed out people. 

The ticket prices were outrageous,  I heard $1000 and up. 

There's enough fans here to support a team,  but crappy owner after crappy owner doomed the franchise. Reminds me of the Braves, crappy owner, bad arena situation, and the fans have up. The big difference is that the Braves tore apart a great team while the Yotes have a good foundation, a strong prospect pool and a boatload of high picks the next few drafts. 

I only went to a game or two a year,  but it was a great time.  I'm very bummed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Whoever the ownership was involved in this should never be allowed to own another sports team again. Your most prominent start player and you can't even hand him his retirement banner? Good riddance to them and what a move by this person to give Doan his banner back, such class to do something like this insteaed of selling it or stealing it.

Supposedly it was found in/around a dumpster at the stadium and then potentially saved by an employee planning to use it for something as there are supposed pictures of it draped on a lawn chair prior to being acquired by the man in the video.

19 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Supposedly it was found in/around a dumpster at the stadium and then potentially saved by an employee planning to use it for something as there are supposed pictures of it draped on a lawn chair prior to being acquired by the man in the video.

Absolutely nuts and disrespectful to a guy who gave his heart and soul for them.

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Absolutely nuts and disrespectful to a guy who gave his heart and soul for them.

It’s a kids game.  Let’s not get carried away with the pomp and circumstance.  It’s a nice story about gay he got it but it’s a piece of cloth. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Arizona lost Shane Doan's retired number banner because they left it behind when they got kicked out of their old arena. Some guy found it and returned it tonight. 

So, we heard him telling the real story. I want to hear what the “official” story was was going to be that they came up with.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It’s a kids game.  Let’s not get carried away with the pomp and circumstance.  It’s a nice story about gay he got it but it’s a piece of cloth. 

Sure, and the Stanley cup is just a hunk of metal.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Whoever the ownership was involved in this should never be allowed to own another sports team again.

On the contrary, the NHL said that Meruelo will have the right to buy an expansion franchise for the Phoenix area for the next 5 years.  I don't think he will get his act together and get an arena built in the next 5 years so no more NHL in Arizona for probably upwards of a decade.

40 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, we heard him telling the real story. I want to hear what the “official” story was was going to be that they came up with.

Sure, and the Stanley cup is just a hunk of metal.

Shut it, Manfred. You’ve already taken a hammer to baseball, leave hockey alone!

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They run a pretty tight ship over there. 

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

They parade Shane Doan around every chance they get to remind everyone that they used to be a real NHL franchise now the banner they hung to remind everyone is just another piece of material? Nah, I'm not buying what you're selling and what do the gays have to do with this? Plot twist?