Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

I see that former Sabre property Devin Cooley stopped 49 of 50 shots last night to help San Jose beat Seattle.

I’m glad Adams unloaded him. He might block Levi otherwise, and Tokarski is a great guy.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheAud said:

I see that former Sabre property Devin Cooley stopped 49 of 50 shots last night to help San Jose beat Seattle.

I’m glad Adams unloaded him. He might block Levi otherwise, and Tokarski is a great guy.

Cooley is garbage. He had one great preseason game too and then absolutely stunk all season. If you don’t watch him play don’t comment after one good game.

Marks Stone cleared to practice with Vegas. Who could have seen this one coming?😂

1 hour ago, TheAud said:

Cooley’s Amerks GAA was 3.77 and save percentage was .891. He stunk.  

For comparison, Levi is 2.42 and .929. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

But ranting about everything is what we do around here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Cooley is garbage. He had one great preseason game too and then absolutely stunk all season. If you don’t watch him play don’t comment after one good game.

Marks Stone cleared to practice with Vegas. Who could have seen this one coming?😂

Maybe, but he's not too old to still emerge as a decent goalie as well. Lots of late blooming goalies out there. Goalies are weird. I would have kept him in the system myself. 

As for Stone, ya, so blatant. League needs to drug test him in the playoffs though imo. I have a feeling they jam him full of pain killers and meds for the playoff run to keep him going. 

On 4/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, thewookie1 said:

So Arizona/Phoenix with an expansion team while Utah gets the Yotes f I'm reading this correctly.

From what I read the other day, the league would purchase the team from the current owner for $1B and then flip it to SLC/Utah for $1.2-1.3B where they would start playing next season. As a condition of the deal, the current Arizona owner would be given a 5 year exclusive window for an expansion team for Arizona (I'm also just guessing they will get the same draft deal as Vegas did too) if an arena deal is made to have a new NHL rink ready for them to play in.

Basically the league gets Arizona out of a college rink and into a new market that's looking for a franchise, but the league still keeps Arizona open as a location if they can work out a new arena soon. The league makes $200-300k for a new franchise location and puts pressure on Arizona to get something done already on an arena if they want to have a franchise. Hopefully the current owner gets it in writing though as it's been known a few other locations (like Quebec) have also been told that they could be next for a franchise if they provide an NHL level rink to play in. 

But think of how cool it will be when the league introduced the newest franchise to the league starting in 2028 in Arizona and Atlanta, 2 locations that have shown to be just dying for NHL hockey.........

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

10 hours ago, shrader said:

But ranting about everything is what we do around here. 

I see only one person here was able to identify my comment as the sarcastic joke it was meant to be. Duly noted. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Phillip Danault just referenced TRPM. 

In speaking on awarding the Selke:

““We don’t know anymore,” Los Angeles Kingscentre Phillip Danault said. “I don’t know what the category is, really. Is there a Corsi thing? Plus-minus depending on the team, I guess. Good on faceoffs, I’m sure that’s part of it. Some great numbers defensively, I’m assuming.””

Awesome to see teams like Detroit salvage their season by winning in 3 on 3 OT games. 

True measure of team greatness.  

Washington demolishes Boston in regulation.  

Detroit needs 3 on 3 OT to still have a chance.  

In case you can’t tell I hate Detroit and I absolutely hate this league’s points format.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

On one hand f Detroit on the other -38.  It's a no win. 

We could still hope they defecate in their respective beds and Pitt sneaks in? I know Sidney is not popular around these here parts - but GD he is a good player. If you are able to look at it objectively ... Potentially a top 10 player, all time.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The real Cooley has stood up for SJ tonight. That’s the Cooley I know😁

15 saves on 23 shots is something. He must have slept with the coach's wife or something to still be in this game

Another interesting one, Florida vs Toronto.  If Toronto wins, they assure themselves of playing Florida. If Toronto loses, then there is a chance they could play Boston in round one.

If I'm Toronto, I might rather face Boston rather than Florida, but to do that, I need to lose to Florida for that chance of facing Boston.