Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He is indeed out. How fast they fall from grace. 

Brind'Amour? Now that would be interesting. 

There is zero chance RBA leaves Raleigh. He wants to be there and has no desire to leave, they want him to stay.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

He is indeed out. How fast they fall from grace. 

Brind'Amour? Now that would be interesting. 

Seattle is probably the only situation he would love Carolina for. He has a great relationship with Ron Francis and as you know is a BC Native 

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Seattle is probably the only situation he would love Carolina for. He has a great relationship with Ron Francis and as you know is a BC Native 

This is why I made the ? 

It is the one place he might go to and if he knows Francis will make him the highest paid coach in the league (unofficially of course as anything actual is tampering we know that) why wouldn't he go there on a long term deal? Raleigh might be a nice place, but Seattle is nicer. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is why I made the ? 

It is the one place he might go to and if he knows Francis will make him the highest paid coach in the league (unofficially of course as anything actual is tampering we know that) why wouldn't he go there on a long term deal? Raleigh might be a nice place, but Seattle is nicer. 

Mrs. Brind’amour has deep family ties with Raleigh-that’s worth a couple million per year in negotiations right there 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Mrs. Brind’amour has deep family ties with Raleigh-that’s worth a couple million per year in negotiations right there 

No doubt, but it's not like when Chris Pronger's wife didn't want to live in Edmonton, it's Seattle. It's an imperfect city, but it's pretty darn nice. 

Brind'Amour almost certainly stays in Raleigh, BUT if there was one situation he might go to, this is it. 

23 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here’s the ESPN report. Something is wrong in here….

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40051232/kraken-fire-coach-dave-hakstol-missing-playoffs

“Hakstol, who went 107-112-27 with the franchise, becomes the second NHL coach to be fired this offseason after the San Jose Sharks moved on from David Quinn last week.”

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Here’s the ESPN report. Something is wrong in here….

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40051232/kraken-fire-coach-dave-hakstol-missing-playoffs

“Hakstol, who went 107-112-27 with the franchise, becomes the second NHL coach to be fired this offseason after the San Jose Sharks moved on from David Quinn last week.”

Read some ugly rumours sayin the players wanted Hakstol replaced.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Either that, or the league just ignores what is going on in Buffalo. 

That was my first thought.  But there are a lot more than us.  And it's not just two in the Western Conference; Seattle, the Kings, Blues, Devils and Senators are all looking for coaches.

Edited by Doohickie

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That was my first thought.  But there are a lot more than us.  And it's not just two in the Western Conference; besides Seattle, the Kings, Blues, Devils and Senators are all looking for coaches.

So many teams looking for coaches I'm glad we went with Ruff and ended it. If we were in a long detailed search with all these teams I could see us getting used and leveraged for negotiations multiple times and then ending up with the nobody or the leftover. Even Ruff might have been gone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

That was my first thought.  But there are a lot more than us.  And it's not just two in the Western Conference; besides Seattle, the Kings, Blues, Devils and Senators are all looking for coaches.

It did say “this offseason” though. Those others were all in season, your list anyway. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Damn, I'm sitting here in Lithuania, I should go find this. 

Usually I’d say this is a post I never thought I would see typed out… but we do have you on this board. 

7 hours ago, shrader said:

Usually I’d say this is a post I never thought I would see typed out… but we do have you on this board. 

Yeahhh, I'm an oddball lol. The food in Lithuania is so good. I think basketball is more important here and hockey in Latvia. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Latvians really like beating Lithuanians. It's a thing. 

The counties are very similar, different language. Otherwise, driving between them it's hard to tell that I crossed a border. But when it comes to sports, they have a Buffalo/Toronto kind of rivalry and it's awesome. 

35 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeahhh, I'm an oddball lol. The food in Lithuania is so good. I think basketball is more important here and hockey in Latvia. 

The counties are very similar, different language. Otherwise, driving between them it's hard to tell that I crossed a border. But when it comes to sports, they have a Buffalo/Toronto kind of rivalry and it's awesome. 

They look similar to us but they have a long historical rivalry and hatred for each other. Serious warring tribes way back in the day. The only thing they agree on is their dislike of Estonians 🙂

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So, only one side thinks there is a rivalry, and the other is like “whatever”?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

So, only one side thinks there is a rivalry, and the other is like “whatever”?

Latvia calls themselves unofficially the "land of ice hockey" They play in Lithuania but it's not even close to the top sport. So I'm sure they don't want to lose to each other (who does) but they're on different tiers. 

On a slightly separate note, I was asking some locals what the difference in the 2 cultures were, they laughed and all agreed that it's almost the same, they said there are more Russians overall in Latvia compared to Vilnius, the roads are a little better in Lithuania, but a lot of cuisine, traditions are very closely tied together. Obviously this is just a surface thing as I don't live here, but they seem to overall get along in the grand scheme of things lol. 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They look similar to us but they have a long historical rivalry and hatred for each other. Serious warring tribes way back in the day.

Back in the 17th century, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth occupied Latvia (and much of Estonia).

image.thumb.png.02e56830e219084562e05454039bf76c.png

• Agree 1