Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

8 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Anyone catch Gallaghers elbow on Pelech ? 5 minute major and a game. Totally suspension worthy. A brutal elbow where he clearly raises his elbow to Peleches face on a flyby.

Yeah I just seen this pop up , I was like what the ***** should be 5 games at least.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I just seen this pop up , I was like what the ***** should be 5 games at least.

Well, if the league had any credibility at all, he’d be suspended for the remainder of the season.  The hit is the exact example of what you can’t do.  But this is the NHL, 3 game suspension incoming.  Farce of a league.  They would rather wallow in some archaic waste land where “players need to play the right way” or some nonsense they think this hit falls under.  ***** joke. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Gallagher’s “thoughts”. 

My gawd is he tone deaf to the situation. Out of touch and possibly out of his mind. He literally had to go out of his way to elbow this player and lift himself up to actually make contact with his face. Also the hit was late. He could have just as easily hit him body to body. And then he has the nerve to victim shame the guy? Blame the victim. Idiot.

32 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

My gawd is he tone deaf to the situation. Out of touch and possibly out of his mind. He literally had to go out of his way to elbow this player and lift himself up to actually make contact with his face. Also the hit was late. He could have just as easily hit him body to body. And then he has the nerve to victim shame the guy? Blame the victim. Idiot.

I really hope that is some old video taken out of context.  If he actually said that in response to his penalty, the league should use it to throw the book at him.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

I really hope that is some old video taken out of context.  If he actually said that in response to his penalty, the league should use it to throw the book at him.

From what I understand, he is getting a phone hearing, so no book being thrown.  It will be less than 5 games.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

From what I understand, he is getting a phone hearing, so no book being thrown.  It will be less than 5 games.

Yeah, because it probably wasn’t an elbow. It’s blatant head hunting and deserving of a suspension still, but that definitely looks he makes contact with his shoulder/upper arm. That follow through raising up the arm? It doesn’t matter. 

But that audio is very disturbing if he was in fact talking about this play. The dude’s not even human if he’s showing that little concern about another player. I’d love to see the union do something since they’re supposed to actually care about their players. 

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

There is no doubt that was intentionally, late,  not needed...etc.  In a perfect world that should be 20+ games. Get THIS stuff out of the game, and you might be able to justfiy other physical play.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Realllly sharp.

It’s nice, but looks like something you make yourself in nhl create a franchise mode. 

———-

Sabres legend Wayne Simmons retires

Edited by steveoath

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

There is no doubt that was intentionally, late,  not needed...etc.  In a perfect world that should be 20+ games. Get THIS stuff out of the game, and you might be able to justfiy other physical play.

20 games ??

Send a real message.  Suspend for remainder of season and possible playoff.  Maybe next year too.  Maybe lifetime.  Yeah.  That's it - lifetime.

Yous all heard me.

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is Gallagher a repeat offender? If he is, 5 games is too light. If it's his first major offense like that then it's pretty reasonable. 

Pretty sure he's not in the way guys like Chara weren't repeat offenders very often at all.  Everytime he's gotten a questionable hit, they decided there was no supplementary discipline due because he wasn't a repeat offender and then then next time it happened, and it happened often, that there was no supplementary discipline due because he wasn't a repeat offender.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

But Gallagher is ALWAYS pushing the envelope.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is Gallagher a repeat offender? If he is, 5 games is too light. If it's his first major offense like that then it's pretty reasonable. 

Duffer said he was not a repeat offender on Sabres Live this morning.  And based on that fact, and the prior suspension of McAvoy, Marty predicted five games.  A shame.  

• Agree 1

Because the league doesn't care and has no desire to truly suspend someone, this is exactly why a) the players need to immediately exact some retribution on the ice, and b) the Sabres need someone reckless enough to be Gallagher on their behalf. Is it a good solution? No, not at all.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure he's not in the way guys like Chara weren't repeat offenders very often at all.  Everytime he's gotten a questionable hit, they decided there was no supplementary discipline due because he wasn't a repeat offender and then then next time it happened, and it happened often, that there was no supplementary discipline due because he wasn't a repeat offender.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

But Gallagher is ALWAYS pushing the envelope.

Strange comparison to Chara but I guess that's Bruins hate. 

Gallagher does push the envelope, but so do lots of players. We could use a few envelope pushers. When we were good we had them. It corelates. 

I think 5 games was right. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Strange comparison to Chara but I guess that's Bruins hate. 

Gallagher does push the envelope, but so do lots of players. We could use a few envelope pushers. When we were good we had them. It corelates. 

I think 5 games was right. 

Chose Chara because he was well known for hits to guys heads that he routinely got away with throughout his entire career including those years as an Aisle and an Otter long before he ever wore the spoked B and he still did get away with after he moved on from them.  He also destroyed Hamel's knee when he was an Aisle with a dirty hit and he famously nearly killed Pacioretty with one of the dirtiest hits ever.

He was dirty and he nearly always got away with it.  Though he DID get a fine for a cross check on the aforementioned Gallagher.  No suspension, because how could he get that, he wasn't a repeat offender, he officially pretty much never was.  (And think how giving a star like him a suspension would look to the children.)

Given his history, believe it was an extremely apt comparison.  But, go right ahead excusing him; guess that's because he was a B.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, steveoath said:

It’s nice, but looks like something you make yourself in nhl create a franchise mode. 

———-

Sabres legend Wayne Simmons retires

I think it's a call back to the original Oakland Seals logo.

7zyjdbco7czf213w18syox0y7.gif

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's had one previous fine according the NHL video.  The graphic as that was said stated "No Relevant History"

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Because the league doesn't care and has no desire to truly suspend someone, this is exactly why a) the players need to immediately exact some retribution on the ice, and b) the Sabres need someone reckless enough to be Gallagher on their behalf. Is it a good solution? No, not at all.

Perhaps @Taro T can keep me honest... suspensions are part of the CBA.. the whole process is, Section 18.  So the NHLPA is also to blame for how the process works and the length of suspensions.

Why the players themselves don't push for more discipline against the "idiot" players of their union is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, LTS said:

Perhaps @Taro T can keep me honest... suspensions are part of the CBA.. the whole process is, Section 18.  So the NHLPA is also to blame for how the process works and the length of suspensions.

Why the players themselves don't push for more discipline against the "idiot" players of their union is beyond me.

Article 18 covers supplemental discipline.

While it's always been a puzzle why the NHLPA never seems to stick up for the safety of its members rather than sticking up for their wallets, expect a fair amount of it is a distrust of management and an expectation that if they don't hold the line always pushing for less severe punishments that they'd then end up seeing the league fining players excessively like the NFL has been doing this past season.

That, plus it always seems the guys that "played on the edge" like Chelios tend to have an oversized voice within the PA.  The PA cares about the star players getting huge $ contracts (nominally, because at the end of the day, the players all split the same pool of money and discounting covid reclaws it will always be 50.0% of HRR) which work against the interests of the rank and file (again, because the players split the same 50.0% of HRR and every on paper $ that the players are paid gets put into the denominator of that scaling factor to bring total player salary to 50.0% of HRR) and also keeping the goons from getting suspended out of the league (which also works against the interests of the rank and file, because its the rank and file getting injured by the goons which shortens the careers of those rank and file members).

Not sure which union is worse, the NHLPA or the NFLPA.  Neither seems to focus on what this observer believes they should be focusing on.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1