Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

The third player on that line?  Evan Rodrigues. 

It’s not always which players, it’s sometimes when you roster specific players. It’s always been about finding the right mix at the right time: and we seem to be unbalanced again in a particular direction 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s not always which players, it’s sometimes when you roster specific players. It’s always been about finding the right mix at the right time: and we seem to be unbalanced again in a particular direction 

No doubt.  But probably more than a coincidence that Evan plays for organizations like PIT, COL and FLA and seemingly develops his game.  Not trying to perpetuate the narrative that all players leave Buffalo and find success.  Evan is definitely playing bette post Sabres.  Did Bill Zito anticipate a first line LW when he signed Evan to a $3m AAV contract?  Where is the Sabres diamond in the ruff signing?  Or does it not exist because the coaches and structure contribute to extinguishing it? 

Risto having a good season

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-coach-john-tortorella-dont-be-so-quick-to-run-rasmus-ristolainen-out-of-town/553030/

Ristolainen was speaking genuinely. He has listened to Tortorella and worked closely with assistant coach Brad Shaw to refine his defensive game.

Suffice it to say, Tortorella was not impressed at his first glimpse of Ristolainen last season. But the Flyers wanted to work with him and Ristolainen had no problem with being coached.

"You watch Risto at the beginning of my first year, he was awful," Tortorella said. "That's when I thought Brad was really good with him in tape, just talking about his legs, just the little things to get his game going. I think Risto has regained some of his confidence."

Ristolainen has often been a whipping boy for some Flyers fans. Perhaps it was the cost and timing of his arrival, as well as his numbers in Buffalo. The Flyers paid a big price to acquire him in July 2021. Their trade package to the Sabres included a first- and second-round pick. Ristolainen signed a five-year, $25.5 million contract extension in March 2022 as the Flyers took a staggering step backward that season.

"I know people want to run him out of town here, but be careful, be careful with defensemen especially," Tortorella said. "You just never know when it clicks in."

In the Flyers' 1-0 win Saturday over the Red Wings, Ristolainen played on the top defensive pair with Travis Sanheim out because of an illness. He aced the opportunity, finishing as a plus-1 with three hits and two blocked shots in 23:07 minutes. It was his 10th game of the season after he missed the first 20 because of a lower-body injury.

"Risto played a hell of a game the other night when we bumped him up, we've got to find him more ice time," Tortorella said. "He'll get his ice time. It all ends up getting worked out as you go through a long year."

Since mid-December of last season, Ristolainen has put up 21 points (three goals, 18 assists) and a plus-3 rating in his last 61 games, while committing only 10 penalties. Tortorella has always appreciated the 6-foot-4, 208-pound Ristolainen's bruising style. But he wanted him to be a smarter, more positioned defender — not just make a big hit to make a big hit.

Edited by bob_sauve28
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Risto having a good season

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/flyers-coach-john-tortorella-dont-be-so-quick-to-run-rasmus-ristolainen-out-of-town/553030/

Ristolainen was speaking genuinely. He has listened to Tortorella and worked closely with assistant coach Brad Shaw to refine his defensive game.

Suffice it to say, Tortorella was not impressed at his first glimpse of Ristolainen last season. But the Flyers wanted to work with him and Ristolainen had no problem with being coached.

"You watch Risto at the beginning of my first year, he was awful," Tortorella said. "That's when I thought Brad was really good with him in tape, just talking about his legs, just the little things to get his game going. I think Risto has regained some of his confidence."

Ristolainen has often been a whipping boy for some Flyers fans. Perhaps it was the cost and timing of his arrival, as well as his numbers in Buffalo. The Flyers paid a big price to acquire him in July 2021. Their trade package to the Sabres included a first- and second-round pick. Ristolainen signed a five-year, $25.5 million contract extension in March 2022 as the Flyers took a staggering step backward that season.

"I know people want to run him out of town here, but be careful, be careful with defensemen especially," Tortorella said. "You just never know when it clicks in."

In the Flyers' 1-0 win Saturday over the Red Wings, Ristolainen played on the top defensive pair with Travis Sanheim out because of an illness. He aced the opportunity, finishing as a plus-1 with three hits and two blocked shots in 23:07 minutes. It was his 10th game of the season after he missed the first 20 because of a lower-body injury.

"Risto played a hell of a game the other night when we bumped him up, we've got to find him more ice time," Tortorella said. "He'll get his ice time. It all ends up getting worked out as you go through a long year."

Since mid-December of last season, Ristolainen has put up 21 points (three goals, 18 assists) and a plus-3 rating in his last 61 games, while committing only 10 penalties. Tortorella has always appreciated the 6-foot-4, 208-pound Ristolainen's bruising style. But he wanted him to be a smarter, more positioned defender — not just make a big hit to make a big hit.

Torts and Shaw took the few things that Risto does well and put Him in a position to maximize them

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Torts and Shaw took the few things that Risto does well and put Him in a position to maximize them

This is it. I've actually watched quite a few Philly games this year and they basically simplified his game and taught him to play more disciplined. I really think the critique that he was "dumb" was kind of true and he just gets confused and makes poor choices when you ask too much from him. He's a big dumb viking horse and when you get him playing a simple game he's a decent player. A good one even.

I hate to say it, but playing the way he is right now, he's exactly what we could use. In our system/lack of system though, I'd also be sure his game would fall apart again if he was here. 

Torts is really good at figuring out what guys do well and placing them in roles (big or small) that maximize what they do well. If players buy in to that and accept their assigned roles it works. 

Seattle wins 3-0 in the classic though. That was far more entertaining than watching the Sabres. Figures they'd drag Heart out as a musical act. The fish throwing at the beginning was kind of dumb though imo. It's an over used Seattle thing. Not as dumb as their gum wall, but still, over used. 

idk how they kept that ice going. It's warm out west here. Carbon footprint has to be pretty high on that I imagine. I find that kind of funny with how "green" conscious people are out west here and their Climate Pledge arena they normally play in. That's the world we live in though. Might as well just smile and laugh. 

Sober today. I still hate the f'n Sabres. 

59 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seattle wins 3-0 in the classic though. That was far more entertaining than watching the Sabres. Figures they'd drag Heart out as a musical act. The fish throwing at the beginning was kind of dumb though imo. It's an over used Seattle thing. Not as dumb as their gum wall, but still, over used. 

idk how they kept that ice going. It's warm out west here. Carbon footprint has to be pretty high on that I imagine. I find that kind of funny with how "green" conscious people are out west here and their Climate Pledge arena they normally play in. That's the world we live in though. Might as well just smile and laugh. 

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No one could of done that here? 😐

Here, everyone tried him as a workhorse defenceman rather than looking for how to place him situationally.  Philly looked at him more realistically.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/1/2024 at 3:07 PM, PerreaultForever said:

you don’t mean the dreaded wall I inadvertantly adhered to as I innocently walked the streets of Seattle ?

IMG_0069.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/30/2023 at 1:20 PM, Brawndo said:

On 1/2/2024 at 6:55 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

No one could of done that here? 😐

22 hours ago, Marvin said:

Here, everyone tried him as a workhorse defenceman rather than looking for how to place him situationally.  Philly looked at him more realistically.

21 hours ago, Contempt said:

That's called coaching. We don't see a lot of that around here.

True, coaching and the GM.   

They paid Risto to be a top 4 and were not going to be happy with him as a bottom pair.  Mistakes by the GM and they lacked coaching, of course when you hire a soccer coach what could go wrong?   But we have a nice locker room. 

Speaking of coaching Weber and Peca are doing ok.  

2 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

See the Leafs are close to re-signing NYlander for possibly over $11 mill. I cannot see how they can make that work when they are in cap-hell now. That wil add a huge amount to their cap.  

$13.5 million expiring between Bertuzzi/Domi/Brodie. If they go cheap on the replacements, there’s your answer. And then there’s ~$22 million expiring for Tavares/Marner the following year. The lacrosse guy’s nephew will be finding a new home with his 35+ contract. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

$13.5 million expiring between Bertuzzi/Domi/Brodie. If they go cheap on the replacements, there’s your answer. And then there’s ~$22 million expiring for Tavares/Marner the following year. The lacrosse guy’s nephew will be finding a new home with his 35+ contract. 

Yup, and then I suspect they will not offer Tavares a huge deal again so it'll just be the big 3 not 4 unless they trade Marner (doubtful).