Sabres Sign Dahlin to an 8 Year 88 Million Dollar Extension

Brawndo

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He was great at the presser.

"I love Buffalo.  My family loves Buffalo.  My brother wants to move here."

"I only wanted to be here.  I told my agent to get the longest term possible."

I think the presser makes it absolutely clear unless you think Dahlin is a totally devious, skilled and bald-faced liar:

Andrew Peters was wrong and the idea that Dahlin was pushing for 5 years was never a consideration.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the presser makes it absolutely clear unless you think Dahlin is an totally devious, skilled and bald-faced liar:

Andrew Peters was wrong and the idea that Dahlin was pushing for 5 years was never a consideration.

You stated that much more politely than many here would've.

🍻

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the presser makes it absolutely clear unless you think Dahlin is an totally devious, skilled and bald-faced liar:

Dahlin may have been asking for full term, but his agent may have been using a 5 year deal to negotiate a higher AAV for an 8 year deal.

Either way I’m glad it’s done, I’m glad it’s 8 years, and I’m glad it’s at a reasonable AAV

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ya, what he said......

Where did all those Peter puffers go? No one defending?

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

The $11MM is $0.5MM higher than everybody would've been extremely pleased with.  Considering this guy is going to be in the Norris discussion for all the 9 years this contract will take him through, it's a good contract.  He left money on the table and the team will still be able to add support pieces around him.  Both sides should be happy with where it ended up.

Now please lock up Power and Mittelstadt.

Agreed.  I also think there was a couple of million left on the table if push came to shove.

Probably discussion for another thread but I just looked up Auston Matthews extension and it’s 4 years at $13.25 mil per season.  Not the same position so tough to compare but I’m very happy with the contract. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  I also think there was a couple of million left on the table if push came to shove.

Probably discussion for another thread but I just looked up Auston Matthews extension and it’s 4 years at $13.25 mil per season.  Not the same position so tough to compare but I’m very happy with the contract. 

When @tom webster started this thread and it looked like $80 over 8 was going to be the contract, said that was $2/yr less than this kid expected for the full 8 years.  (Thought they'd've had to drop to 7 years to get the AAV down to $10.5 or $11.

This is a very good deal for the Sabres, and considering that Dahlin seems to like it here and also really seems to want to win, would say it's a very good deal for him too.

Tip of the hat to TW.  It took longer than expected, but he nailed the term and was within 10% of the the final $'s.  Way closer than many of the so called "experts" were.  (Looking your way Mr. Peters. 😉 )

• Like (+1) 6

35 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ya, what he said......

Where did all those Peter puffers go? No one defending?

Hey, he broke the Eichel trade!

But seriously, Peters is not a journalist.  He has connections in NHL circles so he sometimes hears or asks people about certain things, but he is not out there doing his due diligence, verifying information through multiple sources or anything like that.  He’s just a guy who knows some people.  Just take him for who he is.  Sometimes he’ll be right.  Sometimes he won’t.  No sense in getting mad at him about it. (Not saying you are, but some people do.)

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Dahlin may have been asking for full term, but his agent may have been using a 5 year deal to negotiate a higher AAV for an 8 year deal.

Either way I’m glad it’s done, I’m glad it’s 8 years, and I’m glad it’s at a reasonable AAV

I think that's likely the case. The agent looks at career earnings and makes an argument for a 5 year deal where Dahlin can then make more over the entire career when he gets the next deal. So the Sabres try hard for 10.5 but in the end give in to 11 to get the 8 years. 

That's the trouble with twitter, any negotiations or phone calls for trades or any little thing get "leaked" as breaking news and everybody goes crazy right away. 

• Like (+1) 2

Some of you people are ridiculously petty. My kids went to Catholic school and as part of the parents' service I worked bingos for many years. Some of you give the worst of that population a run for the money. 

Peters had initially said 10.5 x 8 then said he heard from one source 5 years.

Isn't it possible that the Sabres offered 10.5 x 8, Dahlin's team balked because they were looking at Matthews' strategy and/or felt Dahlin should get more, and so the Sabres upped it to 11 x 8 after the cap news came out?

Or, maybe the deal was really close all summer at 10.5 x 8 but Dahlin's team was waiting for cap news to come out. Maybe they put out the 5 years rumor to influence the final number. Stuff like this happens all of the time in high profile negotiations.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:46 PM, Brawndo said:

He does have the right to take His Qualifying Offer of one year 7.2 Million next Summer and become an UFA July 1st, 2025. 

Dahlin really has the upper hand and can dictate the terms of His Next Deal. 

What really doesn’t make sense is Peters reporting that the deal is done at 8 years/10.5 Million AAV and then 10 days later reporting they are 3 years apart on term all of a sudden and that Dahlin is upset it’s not done. 

Edited by ...
Petty with a capital "P".
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ... said:

Some of you people are ridiculously petty. My kids went to Catholic school and as part of the parents' service I worked bingos for many years. Some of you give the worst of that population a run for the money. 

What in fresh hell is this about?

Tell me how the bingo ladies hurt you, @.... 😔 

• Haha (+1) 2

20 hours ago, French Collection said:

Never say never.

Sid and Malkin found a way to coexist, Malkin could have been 1C elsewhere.

One word ..

Cups.

Malkin was smart enough to know that in order to reach his ultimate goal (winning cups) the best chance to do that was with the best player in the league at the time.

I believe they have 3 cups together.

Power will be thinking the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

which makes the GTing circus soooo frustrating.

And so out of character.  Does he not value goaltending or is he so infatuated with Levi’s potential that he is unable to see what is obvious to the rest of the world? Does he believe from his time in Carolina that any goalie if they get hot can carry a team to the Cup and therefore it’s not worth spending resources there?

The funny thing is that KA loved Anderson for his mentoring skills but when he needs a mentor goalie in the locker-room for his prized prospect he doesn’t make the move.  It’s so weird.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And so out of character.  Does he not value goaltending or is he so infatuated with Levi’s potential that he is unable to see what is obvious to the rest of the world? Does he believe from his time in Carolina that any goalie if they get hot can carry a team to the Cup and therefore it’s not worth spending resources there?

The funny thing is that KA loved Anderson for his mentoring skills but when he needs a mentor goalie in the locker-room for his prized prospect he doesn’t make the move.  It’s so weird.  

Some excellent questions.  Suspect that it's some combination of his own history of winning a Cup with a journeyman and a rookie (not necessarily in that order) and analytics still not having of much predicative value for goalies.  But that's just an educated guess.

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Granato spoke this morning about how advanced Levi is in his routines and prep. We assume because you are young you need a mentor when in fact some ppl simply know what needs to be done and already know how to accomplish it. Also we need to stop acting like there isn't other vets on the team or that there isn't a goalie coach as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.